Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Missing Dog In Nanaimo BC

nitavallillee
November 6th, 2006, 10:38 AM
Please help me find my lost baby! :yell:
His name is Mayhem and he is a 1 1/2 year old American Bulldog.
He is all white except for his right brindle ear.
He has a bummed hind knee.
He is not neutered.
He also responds to Doodles.
Please help me..... any information would be helpful.
He was last seen in the Wakesiah/Bowen Park Area.
He went missing around October 20th
All the leaflets that I posted on Sat Nov 4th, were torn down by Monday morning:yell: :mad:

badger
November 6th, 2006, 11:48 AM
I'm not seeing your picture.

You didn't say how long he's been gone. Nevertheless, don't give up! You have to work hard, put up posters everywhere he might be, including the area where he was lost. You might even add 'Any information appreciated' if you suspect he was stolen. Talk to people as you go (some people don't read posters), maybe someone will remember seeing him. Advertise in local newspapers. Watch out for ads selling a dog like yours. Unfortunately, since he is not neutered, someone might try to sell him as a breeder.
Vet offices, grocery stores, corner stores, pet stores, and off course the pound or SPCA, you need to GO there every day, not just telephone.
Good luck!

PS To post a picture, scroll down to "manage attachments" and go from there.

rainbow
November 6th, 2006, 03:12 PM
Badger has given you lots of good information. I think, because he is not neutered, someone is going to try to offer his services. Good luck. :fingerscr

nitavallillee
November 6th, 2006, 07:17 PM
We've tried to upload pictures but it won't let us, keeps saying there too big even though we have re sized them down to almost nothing.

rainbow
November 6th, 2006, 09:54 PM
I am not the person to help you with a problem like that but I will try to find someone that can asap.

susieqt
November 6th, 2006, 10:13 PM
As he wasn't fixed, he probably got lost going after the scent of a female. He must be hungry and scared by now; they say the best time to look for a lost pet is in the early morning hours and early evening when it is not too loud and busy outside.
Another eerie thought: are they any puppy mills in your area that might be interested in an unneutered male?
Good luck and don't give up until you know what has happened to Mayhem.

Cathy1
November 6th, 2006, 10:14 PM
Here is one thread about resizing.
http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=24118
Hope it helps.

nitavallillee
November 7th, 2006, 11:41 AM
Thank-you for the helpful picture info....finally....here is a picture of my love!:dog:
Once agaain I was out in the area whre he went missing and I noticed that more of my posters were torn down! I couldn't help but to cry...why is someone being to cruel?

Prin
November 7th, 2006, 01:36 PM
Are you sure you're allowed posting posters? :o

rainbow
November 7th, 2006, 01:53 PM
Phone Nanaimo City Hall and ask about bylaws regarding putting up posters or B.C. Hydro and Telus if it's their poles you are using. Ask store owners if you can put the posters up in their windows on the inside. Keep going to the SPCA, city pound and shelters, etc. in person. People tend to forget when they get busy.

Glad you got the pic posted. Mayhem is a very handsome boy and my fingers are crossed for his safe return. :fingerscr :fingerscr

Prin
November 7th, 2006, 02:49 PM
Oh no, I just saw he wasn't neutered.:sad: Even more fingers crossed for his safe return. :fingerscr :fingerscr

nitavallillee
November 7th, 2006, 10:53 PM
So we found him, sort of. Someone phoned with info from our poster saying they had hime for 3-4 days and were going to keep him unless someone came looking for him or they saw a lost poster. But then he escaped their yard. They went to the pound the next day and he was there but because he didn't have his tags and they weren't the original owners they held him for 3 days then sold him for $300. The people who took him in couldn't afford this so we don't know were he is or what type of family adopted him. Were pissed though because we dropped a poster off at the pound recently and described him and his bad leg and they didn't even phone or remember him, how convenient!. I guess their more interested in making $300 off my dog than returning it to the rightful owner. We are going there first thing tomorrow as we just found out at closing today. Not sure if they will tell us who adopted him, but on the phone the lady said were pretty much **** out of luck.

Is there anything we can do?

Prin
November 7th, 2006, 11:04 PM
omg that's horrible! I have no idea what you can do.:o :sad:

badger
November 7th, 2006, 11:52 PM
I would make a HUGE fuss. There are too many of these shelters operating as they like, often contrary to their own mandate.
I would write a letter to the director of the pound (copies to all board members, you'll have to find out their names, city hall should have these), laying out your case: you did all the right things to find him, you GAVE the shelter a poster, went there personally, etc. Make it like a business letter, no hysterics please. Tell them you are in the process of consulting a lawyer (and do it, to find out if you have a case). Get a copy of the regulations governing the pound (city hall should have it, since they are the ones who award the contract) and find out if they have stepped over the line.
Do not call them to complain or go there in person again, this is potentially a legal matter.
Plus he wasn't neutered, and yet they sold him ($300? I had no idea pounds charged that much), but they do that here too.

Do NOT let this go, I think your rights have been abused and you should step up. It may cost you a few dollars but if you want your dog back...

nansel
November 8th, 2006, 02:14 AM
I'm in Nanaimo. The by-law over loose dogs without tags is that they will be held for 72 hours before putting them up for adoption. 72 hours isn't very long, but it is the law. So if you didn't go within that time of your dog missing, legally they could adopt him out. Another law is that they have to maintain a log book of the dogs that go through there. Ask them to check it - or did you already?

One thing that came to mind was - (cynical old me) - did these people who phoned really see him at the pound? Or did they keep him themselves, or sell him and tell you the pound did it? Maybe that's why the people at the pound didn't think they'd seen your dog.

The adoption fee there, I believe, was something like $75, not $300. Although with the fees they do have for keeping lost dogs, plus fines for by-law violations, it could cost an owner a lot to get their own dog back. So maybe your dog ended up at the pound, then these people went in and said they were the real owners, then balked at the fees and fines.

Your dog could easily be called a 'restricted' dog, which would make the fees and fines even higher. Unless he's CKC registered?

If I were you, I'd go to the Pound with an open attitude and ask for info. Something doesn't sound right with the story those people told you, from what I know of the pound here.

For anyone else reading this - our Pound is really really tiny. This summer when my hubby and I went in looking to see if they had any dogs suitable for us to adopt, there were a total of 7 dogs there - 2 strays, 3 available for adoption, and 2 employees dogs who hang out at work. That's it. The kennels were almost full. And the people were really open and friendly and eager to chat about the dogs. It's not some huge, big city deal.

rainbow
November 8th, 2006, 03:13 AM
I'm so sorry for what has happened with Mayhem. Good luck and please keep us posted. :fingerscr :fingerscr :fingerscr

chico2
November 8th, 2006, 08:09 AM
Please do not give up on your dog,even if it is impossible to get him back,I hope not:fingerscr
You HAVE to make sure he did not end up in a puppy-mill,he looks to be a very desirable dog for breeding and we all know about the miserable life of a P-M dog.
If he was mine,I'd fight tooth and nail to get him back and when I did,first on the agenda,after lots of hugs,would be neutering.
:fingerscr :fingerscr Mayhem is ok..

badger
November 8th, 2006, 09:36 AM
When someone goes to the pound to claim a dog, wouldn't they have to provide some kind of proof that it was indeed theirs?
Since you lost him over a month ago (missed that bit), and 72 hours is the limit for keeping an animal (which doesn't seem long enough to me, especially if they have the space), this could be difficult.
But you're right nansel, the people who called could have another agenda.

chico2
November 8th, 2006, 12:01 PM
Another thing,is not $300 a little steep for a shelter-dog?Or is that the norm?

nitavallillee
November 8th, 2006, 07:03 PM
:rip: Mayhem Doodle Bugs White
As I write this my heart swells with saddness and pain.
We thought last night that Mayhem was sold to someone for $300....but this morning I called (as they told me to), to discover that he had already been at the pound has his 72 hr mercy keep, and was euthanized.....his body sent to the dump like a piece of trash.
They told me because of his bummed knee he was deemed unadoptable and put to sleep. I am in such pain knowing that his last days were spent alone and uncared for. No one that loved him was at his side when he was scared and having that god aweful lethal injection put in his neck....and I don't even get to keep his remains because he is already buried amongst garbige.
HE DIDN'T DESERVE TO BE MURDED....HE DIDN'T DESERVE TO DIE ALONE.....HE DIDN'T DESERVE TO BE TREATED LIKE TRASH.....
I am so upset that I have lost a member of my family....I never get to see him again.
I don't think that I can cope with this grief.
Please keep him in your thoughts as we try to cope and try to remember him as the good puppy that he was.
He was just a puppy.

Prin
November 8th, 2006, 07:07 PM
omg that's so horrible! If I were you, I'd be calling the media right now. :frustrated: :sad:

Maya
November 8th, 2006, 07:58 PM
I'm sorry that's awful.:sad: I don't really understand exactly how this happened, the spca was basically not doing their job and being horrible.:confused: :(
:candle: Mayhem Doodle Bugs White

nansel
November 8th, 2006, 09:29 PM
This was the Nanaimo Pound. The Nanaimo SPCA is a totally different organization.

susieqt
November 8th, 2006, 09:40 PM
Are you absolutely 100% certain that they did indeed euthanise him? Maybe he is still alive and this is their cover up....
Why would they put him to sleep when you had let them know awhile ago that you lost him? American Bulldogs are very rare dogs and very expensive. Just a thought. This is a very sad, sad incident.

Maya
November 8th, 2006, 10:13 PM
Are you absolutely 100% certain that they did indeed euthanise him? Maybe he is still alive and this is their cover up....
Why would they put him to sleep when you had let them know awhile ago that you lost him? American Bulldogs are very rare dogs and very expensive.

That is a good point. This story just seems so off. There is no end to people being evil to make $$$, so it wouldn't surprise me if that were the case. I wouldn't want to give false hope either though.

This was the Nanaimo Pound. The Nanaimo SPCA is a totally different organization.I didn't realize there was a Nanaimo pound. I thought pound was just an archaic term people use for animal shelter.

rainbow
November 8th, 2006, 10:50 PM
I am so sorry to hear about Mayhem. :grouphug: It seems strange that there is two different stories as to what happened to him. I would make a big fuss, get media attention and do whatever you can to get to the bottom of this.

Boubou
November 8th, 2006, 10:52 PM
What a horrible story. I can't imagine the pain you must be feeling. He was a beautiful dog, which makes it hard for me to believe that they euthanized him so quickly. They could have easily sold him to a puppy mill for breeding, bad knee or not. I don't know what else you could do, but as with most shelters, the bodies are put into freezers and when they are full, a company comes to pick them up for disposal (most companies charge by the freezer full). If he was indeed euthanized not long ago, more than likely his body would still be there in the freezer, not disposed of in the garbage like they said. Sounds fishy to me.........

t.pettet
November 8th, 2006, 11:27 PM
There are alot of things about this story that just don't add up.

Prin
November 9th, 2006, 12:23 AM
I didn't realize there was a Nanaimo pound. I thought pound was just an archaic term people use for animal shelter.Some cities still have pounds... They pick up the strays and put them in there...:shrug:

Maya
November 9th, 2006, 12:35 AM
I don't suppose you have the name of the people that called you? Or the number in your cell phone history or call display? If you do you could try googling it and see if you get anything. It seems like someone may have wanted you to stop looking.

Some cities still have pounds...

Hmm interesting, it sounds outdated to me for some reason.

nansel
November 9th, 2006, 12:48 AM
Some cities still have pounds... They pick up the strays and put them in there...:shrug:
Yep, this is exactly what our pound does. It's a part of the municipal government, funded by tax dollars to deal with animal control and welfare issues (pets, livestock) in our area. The people who work there are employees of the city. Having dealt with this organization more than once before, I have problems believing that they are lining their pockets by "selling" dogs (as some are suggesting here) or euthanizing them for kicks. I feel bad for them that they are being slammed on this site by people who have absolutely no knowledge beyond one side of this one story.

They adopt out strays when no one comes to claim them, or euthanize them if they deem them to not be good candidates for adoption (as happened here). Whether that was a good decision or not, none of us could possibly know. All the info on the pound and how it's run is on the city's website. It's too bad that Mayhem's owner didn't check into all of this when he went missing. If he'd been neutered, he'd have been tatooed, and the city would have been able to contact the owners. Same if he'd been wearing his city tags. Not that I'm saying it's the owner's fault, it's all sad.

Nanaimo also has an SPCA branch. The two organizations in the past have not exactly gotten along, and the city government has declined to help the SPCA financially for years now.

Maya
November 9th, 2006, 02:10 PM
I have problems believing that they are lining their pockets by "selling" dogs (as some are suggesting here) or euthanizing them for kicks. I feel bad for them that they are being slammed on this site by people who have absolutely no knowledge beyond one side of this one story.

They adopt out strays when no one comes to claim them, or euthanize them if they deem them to not be good candidates for adoption (as happened here). Whether that was a good decision or not, none of us could possibly know. All the info on the pound and how it's run is on the city's website. It's too bad that Mayhem's owner didn't check into all of this when he went missing. If he'd been neutered, he'd have been tatooed, and the city would have been able to contact the owners. Same if he'd been wearing his city tags. Not that I'm saying it's the owner's fault, it's all sad.

I don't see anyone suggesting that people euthanize for kicks or actually sell dogs at the Nanaimo pound. This specific story doesn't make sense and it is a reality that people take other people's dogs for breeding. It appears the pound could have contacted the owner because they were notified that the dog was missing.

t.pettet
November 9th, 2006, 02:30 PM
Some pounds also sell the strays to labs, a despicible practice and unless you are employed at such a place its a very well kept secret.

chico2
November 9th, 2006, 04:56 PM
I have a problem with this whole story,it just seems too unbelievable.
If it is true I am sorry for the poor pup and the owner,but I know nothing about Nanaimo,their pound or SPCA.
:rip: Beautiful Mayhem

Maya
November 9th, 2006, 05:12 PM
Some pounds also sell the strays to labsYa I was just reading that on this site.http://www.goodpooch.com/BSL/cdnbsl.htm If you scroll down to the light purple box it mentions it in there.

Being a cat person I didn't realize how far the descrimination was going with dog breeds.:( Here's another quote from that same site.

Nanaimo:

'Vicious' dogs are required to be muzzled when in public, and behind a barrier on the owner's property at all times. 'Pit Bulls', American Pit Bull Terriers, American Staffordshire Terriers, Staffordshire Bull Terriers, or a cross of one of the aforementioned breeds are "restricted" and automatically considered vicious unless registered with the CKC. Dogs that have passed the AKC's Canine Good Citizen test are not automatically restricted or considered "vicious".

[We do hope Nanaimo becomes a bit more patriotic, and recognizes the
CKC's Canine Good Neighbour test in the near future.]

nitavallillee
November 10th, 2006, 05:19 PM
I am sorry that it has been so long since my last posting.....this has been really hard on me.
Does the pound have to tell me what vet euthanized him?
Do they have to tell me when his body was sent to the dump?
Do they have to keep detailed records of all the animals that pass through there?
Is there anything else that I need to know before I persue this further?
Please help me, I don't want Mayhem to have died in vain.:pawprint:

chico2
November 10th, 2006, 05:29 PM
Either way your beautiful Mayhem died way too young.
I would pester the pound until they give you some answers.
I am sure they keep track of each dog euthanized.
I am also hoping they have enough compassion to realize you are mourning your dog and will be forthright with you.
It all seems very confusing,if he has been euthanized,you'll have to live with that:sad:you'll have no closure if you suspect he is alive somewhere.

Maya
November 10th, 2006, 09:06 PM
I agree with everything Chico2 has said.

It will be difficult to ask questions and think clearly when you are upset. Perhaps it would be helpful to write out what you think happened and then the questions that you need answered. If they have done something against their own rules you may get vague answers or even rudeness. Maybe someone you know could help or even call and ask a few questions as an unrelated enquiry, like what happens to the animals after they are euthanized? The city website didn't appear to have much information about how the pound is run but you might want keep that information handy. Keep a record of who you talk to and when. :grouphug:

chico2
November 11th, 2006, 07:30 AM
Also,if Mayhem has been euthanized,it is possible he was identified as a Pit-Bull:sad: (at first glance,my untrained eye saw a Pit-Bull),he was not neutered,wore no tags and had an obvious problem with his leg and might have resisted capture,a recipe for disaster:yell:
I hope you can get to the truth,whatever it might be:fingerscr

rainbow
November 11th, 2006, 07:26 PM
If the city pound does not answer questions to your satisfation I would contact a lawyer for advice. Also Global T.V. quite often will investigate stories like this. Good luck and keep us posted. :fingerscr :fingerscr

rainbow
November 14th, 2006, 03:32 AM
Any luck yet? :fingerscr :fingerscr

meakah
November 14th, 2006, 11:04 PM
OMG! I am just seeing this! This is awful. Oh gosh...I am so sorry to hear what you and your pup have endured. I am surprised too to find these answers so "vague". I would most certainly inquire more. You owe it to you and your pup to find out what exactly happened. And Nanaimo just isn't that big...why wouldn't they hold that pup for you if you had contacted them? There are pieces of info missing....dig...dig more. I once had a ferret go missing when I was out of town and my friend was taking care of him. She was checking with the spca EVERY day by phone and they kept saying "no, he isn't here". One day....a few days into the search, she happened to be driving by there so she went into the SPCA to look this time rather than call. Low and behold there was my ferret!! He had been there for THREE DAYS!! A ferret...the only ferret in the entire place and the idiots on the phone couldn't even bother to look. So I guess my point is sometimes the communication between staff members and what goes on within these facilities isn't the greatest. They had vaccinated my ferret too (normal procedure) which almost killed him cuz he was soooo allergic to vaccines plus they charged my friend all the fees to pick him up and the shots. I stormed back in there upon my return and made them refund me the entire bill. Be strong and dig...you have the right to know what happened to your dog. And do it now...not later....staff changes are huge at those places so best to find out now. Goodluck and pls keep us updated.

nitavallillee
November 21st, 2006, 12:31 PM
Hello to all of you.
I just wanted to say thank-you to all of you. You have all had insightful points that have helped me keep my head in order and not make any rash descions.....I truely do appreciate it.
I have recieved another phone call from a man saying that his old neighbor came by with my dog (he was absolutely positive) asking if it was his. He said no, but told the man that he didn't mind keeping him until he saw an ad or some posters. The neighbor said that he would keep trying to find the owner. The caller told me that Mayhem HAD a collar and a leash on him. I am not sure if the neighbor put them on him or not. In any case the caller never saw my dog again.
He also told me that this was only a couple of weeks ago.......do you all think that maybe his concept of time is off, or is there a chance that my dog is still out there?
I am going to ask the pound to view their log book of incoming dogs (possibly euthanized dogs)
I will keep you all posted.
Thanks again.:pawprint:

chico2
November 21st, 2006, 02:19 PM
Thank's for giving us an update,not what I was hoping to hear,but still..
I can understand you wanting closure,want to know what happened to your dog.
You must be heartbroken,hopefully you'll have an answer soon,if he was euthanized or not,the shelter owes you as much,or if he was sold they should tell you to whom,since selling him was a mistake.Good Luck to you and Mayhem:pray:

Maya
November 21st, 2006, 03:08 PM
Thank you for the update. I think ANYTHING is possible so I'd continue to keep an open mind to all possibilities. I really hope you do find Mayhem in the end or at the very least get the closure of knowing what actually happened to him. Good luck.:grouphug:

TMac
November 21st, 2006, 05:10 PM
Another thing,is not $300 a little steep for a shelter-dog?Or is that the norm?

In Ottawa it is $260 and $315 for a puppy or small dog. This includes a whole bunch of stuff though that perhaps is not included at other shelters.. like microchip, spay/neuter voucher, first 6-8 weeks of health insurance, etc etc.
(see http://www.ottawahumane.ca/fees.html).

TMac
November 21st, 2006, 05:23 PM
I am sorry that it has been so long since my last posting.....this has been really hard on me.
Does the pound have to tell me what vet euthanized him?
Do they have to tell me when his body was sent to the dump?
Do they have to keep detailed records of all the animals that pass through there?
Is there anything else that I need to know before I persue this further?
Please help me, I don't want Mayhem to have died in vain.:pawprint:

I would pursue this if I were you - at very least to get some closure and make sure it doesn't happen to some other unsuspecting pet owner. We have a lost cat right now and I'm going every 2 days to visit the municipal pound (which is adjoined physically to the humane society). They give 3 days before having to euthanize or adopt it out. They have a binder called "euthanized before time" in addition to their "found" and "lost reports" binders.

So, at very least I think it would be reasonable for them to be checking the lost reports before euthanizing! And yes, they would likely have to keep a record of euthanasias as well.

Definitely put in writing what information you are looking for and ask for a copy of their policies or rules in such a situation. Keep it business-like and don't presume wrong doing until you actually have evidence since if it gets to the legal stage they could accuse of you of slander if you're pointing fingers without anything solid to go on. Not to mention that it could be possible that the facts from the neighbours aren't right and there may have been some innocent mistake.

Good luck and sorry for your loss...:rip:

Please let us know what happens

rainbow
November 26th, 2006, 02:03 AM
He also told me that this was only a couple of weeks ago.......do you all think that maybe his concept of time is off, or is there a chance that my dog is still out there? I am going to ask the pound to view their log book of incoming dogs (possibly euthanized dogs)
I will keep you all posted.

Do you have an update for us? :fingerscr :fingerscr

alydev63
December 6th, 2006, 12:06 PM
I'm was so sad to hear your story.
I hope this story has helped others decide to get their pets spayed or neutered and to have them TAGGED, tattoed or have chips implanted. It's a small price to pay to protect your beloved pet from such a fate