Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Red skin

angeldogs
November 6th, 2006, 12:42 AM
I noticed jags skin is red and his lips are a dark red.and his ears also and one is sore to the touch.When i put my hand on his chest i could feel his heart beating and then after a couple of beats there seemed to be a quick pause.And he's hot to the touch.Were going to call the vet in the morning but he's not himself and i'm worried.

hazelrunpack
November 6th, 2006, 12:52 AM
Is there an emergency vet number you can contact? Some vets will have an answering service for after hours in case of emergency--maybe your vet has such a service?

Prin
November 6th, 2006, 01:00 AM
Dogs have a weird heartbeat.. It's not regular when they're resting. But the rest could be a fever or something serious. Definitely get him to a vet as soon as you can.

angeldogs
November 6th, 2006, 01:56 AM
Thanks for the replies.Wife is calling the vet in the morning.I'm just worried.I tried the usual play fight starters and he just looks at me.When outside if i stay out he stays out same with going in.But today when the first one to go in Jag followed and straight to his crate.Last time going out he didn't move just looked at me.

rainbow
November 6th, 2006, 02:39 AM
Oh no...I am so sorry to hear bout Jag. Hope everything is okay and please keep us posted. :fingerscr :fingerscr

angeldogs
November 6th, 2006, 12:55 PM
we just got back from the vet.his heart beat is slowing down a little then back to normal.they noticed his energy drop.temp was fine.took blood and urine sample.should have some results back today.iknow he has lost weight by looking at him and when he climbs on me.But weighed in at 79.4 lbs.still worried.he drinks alot and last night he went over 4hrs with out a drink and just nibbled on some food.i will post the results when we get them.Also Bens nutering went well also so that's some good news.

~michelle~
November 6th, 2006, 12:59 PM
oh feel better soon jag :fingerscr

Prin
November 6th, 2006, 01:26 PM
:fingerscr for Jag.

rainbow
November 7th, 2006, 12:59 AM
Fingers and paws crossed for Jag. :fingerscr :pawprint: :fingerscr :pawprint:

TeriM
November 7th, 2006, 01:18 AM
Thinking good thoughts and warm wishes for Jag. :fingerscr

angeldogs
November 7th, 2006, 02:36 AM
Thank you everyone.the vet said the in house test would be back yesterday and called and said they weren't back.hopefully today.

Prin
November 7th, 2006, 11:19 AM
More good thoughts..:fingerscr :fingerscr :pawprint: :pawprint:

angeldogs
November 8th, 2006, 03:38 AM
got the test results back.his white blood cells are low and they said there is no meds for it.have to take him back to the vet on friday.they were worried about the irregular heart beat.And want to do more blood tests.they think he might have heart cancer.:sad:

Skryker
November 8th, 2006, 07:52 AM
Oh, no! Poor Jag. :sad: :grouphug: for you both. :fingerscr that it's not cancer.

angeldogs
November 8th, 2006, 11:16 AM
That's what were hoping for.The vet said there isn't many puppymill breaders in canada that breed weims.And with the over breeding of them is not high.Like with other breeds and the main medical problem is some form of heart disease or cancer.

Hunter's_owner
November 8th, 2006, 11:41 AM
Oh, that is too bad. I am hoping that everything will be okay for you and Jag:fingerscr :pray:

Prin
November 8th, 2006, 01:18 PM
That's terrible! :fingerscr that it's nothing serious. Aww, I'm so sorry. :grouphug:

rainbow
November 9th, 2006, 01:56 AM
I'm really sorry to hear the news about Jag. :grouphug: Fingers and paws crossed. :fingerscr :pawprint: :fingerscr :pawprint:

angeldogs
November 10th, 2006, 01:59 AM
Thank you everyone:grouphug: Back to the vet at 10am this morning.For some more blood work and check his heart.

angeldogs
November 10th, 2006, 11:27 PM
Well everything went good at the vet blood test was good.The test for Addiston disease was negitive what ever that is.But wants us to keep an eye on him just because it was negitive doesn't meen he doesn't have it she said.If he gets like that again to take him in ASAP.To get tested for it again.And to check the back yard for something he could have ate.he started drinking again Wed.night and thurs.More then usual.And eating more and weighed in at 82lbs.She said he was dehydrated.and the drinking put the weight back on.Sooo happy i spoiled him with treats,new toy and agilty starter kit when we left the vet:thumbs up

Prin
November 11th, 2006, 12:11 AM
Great news! Good luck. I hope he stays ok.:fingerscr

angeldogs
November 11th, 2006, 12:14 AM
Thank you Prin.I would do back flips.But i have the fear of landing on my head.:D

TeriM
November 11th, 2006, 01:49 AM
So happy to hear Jag is feeling better :thumbs up .

chico2
November 11th, 2006, 06:59 AM
I was reading all the posts,afraid of the ending:sad:and am elated Jag is doing better:thumbs up

angeldogs
November 11th, 2006, 12:58 PM
Thanks TeriM.Chico2.i was also scared of the ending when the vet first said heart cancer.

rainbow
November 12th, 2006, 01:07 AM
Oh, I am so glad that beautiful Jag is okay. :highfive: I was thinking the worst when I clicked on this thread after reading about the possibility of heart cancer. Give him an extra treat for me. :D

rainbow
November 12th, 2006, 01:09 AM
Oh, and it's time we had some more pics of that beautiful boy. :cloud9:

angeldogs
November 12th, 2006, 04:20 PM
Rambow i will get more pics.And we still have to watch for additson disease.What ever that is she really didn't explain.they were happy to see him wired again instead of sit lay.they new something was wrong.he hates cats and there was 2 there and he didn't even bother with them.He got the extra treat.

rainbow
November 12th, 2006, 04:31 PM
Hee hee....love my new user name. :D

Here's some info on Addison's Disease:

http://www.vetinfo.com/dencyclopedia/deaddisons.html

http://www.k9addisons.com/melody.shtml

http://www.addisondogs.com/

Looking forward to the pics. :cloud9:

angeldogs
November 12th, 2006, 04:42 PM
He He just noticed it mysef.Thanks for the info Rainbow:D