Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Hunter's sad day :(

Hunter's_owner
November 5th, 2006, 07:18 PM
Well Hunter had a very sad say...:(
He started licking his paw again and wouldn't stop, so that led to...The Boot!!!

Hunter's_owner
November 5th, 2006, 07:19 PM
And here he is trying to say he wants a cookie, and Cassie looks on terrified that she will be the next to be "booted":rolleyes:

hazelrunpack
November 5th, 2006, 07:23 PM
Be very, very afraid, Cassie...this might happen to you! And Hunter, be thankful it's only a boot!!! :eek: sit...stay...no licking, now! :D

TeriM
November 5th, 2006, 07:31 PM
Wow, dogs sure have developed that guilting us look. My dogs would be happy to tell him how to program the speed dial for the SPCA so he can complain to the authorities.:D My black lab looks exactly the same when I try something like that. My yellow would have the boot ripped off in about 2 minutes.

Hunter's_owner
November 5th, 2006, 07:35 PM
Funny hey... they can work magic with their eyes. But for some reason it has never crossed his mind to try to take it off. I put one on Cassie and she went right to work biting at it, trying to get it off. (And we always thought she was the dumb one :rolleyes: jk)
The only thing Hunter does when he has all 4 on is kick really hard to try to get them off. So now the only time I use them is for paw licking/chewing.

TeriM
November 5th, 2006, 07:40 PM
Have you ever tried spraying his feet with bitter apple?

Hunter's_owner
November 5th, 2006, 07:44 PM
He just chews through the taste:frustrated:
He doesn't like the taste, but if it means chewing with the taste or not chewing, he chooses to chew;)
I have tried just about everything, and so far, the boot is the only sure fire way. He knows we don't want him doing it, so he even tries to hide away. Hunter always likes to be in a room where there are people, but you know he is chewing when you miss him and find him in a dark corner of an unoccupied room:rolleyes: or even under a table (like a 90 pound dog can hide under a table :p )

TeriM
November 5th, 2006, 07:54 PM
Yeah, just like kids ... if I can't see you then I'm sure you can't see me! Any reason for the foot licking? Lucy used to be obsessive with licking her feet when she had food allergies.

hazelrunpack
November 5th, 2006, 07:58 PM
He just chews through the taste:frustrated:
He doesn't like the taste, but if it means chewing with the taste or not chewing, he chooses to chew;)
I have tried just about everything, and so far, the boot is the only sure fire way. He knows we don't want him doing it, so he even tries to hide away. Hunter always likes to be in a room where there are people, but you know he is chewing when you miss him and find him in a dark corner of an unoccupied room:rolleyes: or even under a table (like a 90 pound dog can hide under a table :p )

There used to be a product called Bandgard. It was for putting on dressings to keep dogs from chewing them off and it worked like a charm. I think it might have had alum in it, judging by their reactions when they got it in their mouths... But I haven't been able to find any lately--I think they might have stopped making it :sad: It was the best thing, though--we never had a dog it didn't deter!

The only thing that comes close to it now is Vicks. Two of our dogs will lick it off but the other 4 hate it... You have to be careful not to get it on raw skin, though--it really stings!

Hunter's_owner
November 5th, 2006, 08:02 PM
We tried to switch to lamb, thinking it was a food allergy but he got really really sick:( (and that was with only a small amount of lamb in with his regular)
So anyways, the itching stopped awhile ago for about 6 months.
Now it comes and goes. Up until he was 2 he had almost continuous ear infections. Then they stopped completely. I don't remember the last time he had one (then again, Cassie licks his ears all the time, so maybe that is why:yuck: )

So yeah, we have thought about food allergies, and I may think about switching his food again, but he got sooo sick last time, that I am a little afraid to try something new...
If the itching would last, I would definetly try to find the source, but it is unpredictable, and the vet even thinks it is seasonal moreso than food related (and no he isn't on a vet brand dog food ;) )
Thanks for your help though :)

Hunter's_owner
November 5th, 2006, 08:05 PM
The only thing that comes close to it now is Vicks. Two of our dogs will lick it off but the other 4 hate it... You have to be careful not to get it on raw skin, though--it really stings!

Thats the thing, usually he will lick his paw and make it sore, so if vicks touched it I would think it would be torture. The boot works fine, he just puts on a sad face for awhile :D
It is his choice, he should realize by now that chewing=boot.:rolleyes:

By the way, He isn't as tortured as he looks:p he should be nominated for an oscar:D

hazelrunpack
November 5th, 2006, 08:21 PM
By the way, He isn't as tortured as he looks:p he should be nominated for an oscar:D

Oh, ya! They're all oscar material! :D

Belle pouted every time I looked at her, but then I'd catch her terrorizing the other dogs when she thought I was busy elsewhere--she'd bat them with the bonnet if she wanted to drink at the bowl they were at, she won all the backyard tussles because everyone was afraid she'd gore them, and she had first dibs at every food morsel that fell on the floor because everyone was afraid of getting hit with the bonnet! :evil: I think she was actually sorry when she finally didn't need it anymore...

But oh she had sad eyes when she was trying to make us feel guilty! :angel:

Prin
November 5th, 2006, 10:22 PM
Love the guilty face...:D
Yeah, Boo cut himself twice this summer and still licks the healed "wounds"... We gave him the boot too.