Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Feline Seizure

robertr2
November 5th, 2006, 06:59 PM
I had adopted a male cat. The first month he had two seizures within a week apart. I took him to the vet. They did blood and urine tests. A xray showed him having some kidney problems along with a enlarged heart. They sent me to another vet for an ultrasound. He found high blood pressure and prescribed "Atenolol".

Another visit to the vet about a month later showed no changes and his heartrate was still high but they still wanted to continue to use Atenolol. He just experience another seizure. About 5 months after his first two.

He is about 10 years old. The vet wants to give him another ultrasound in six months. I asked questions but never got any answers on what care I can give him. I am mostly concern about his diet now and what I can do for his health.

Thank you!

rainbow
November 6th, 2006, 03:11 AM
Sorry to hear about yor kitty. I've never had a cat with this problem but I do remember reading this and I hope it helps:

http://www.felinecrf.org/related_diseases.htm

vfrohloff
November 6th, 2006, 11:08 AM
What are you currently feeding your cat? I had one cat with seizures that responded well to a change in food, although she didn't have any other health problems as your guy does. Did the vet say what was causing the kidney problems and the enlarged heart? I have had cats with kidney problems before that also responded well to high quality holistic food, but I have no experience with an enlarged heart in a cat.