Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Timberwolf Organics Question

TeriM
November 5th, 2006, 06:49 PM
Hi, Few months ago I switched my puppy (6 month Lab) over to TO Ocean Blue. After many other attemps (Innova, Solid Gold, Regular EVO) with less then impressive results this product has been fabulous. Everyone comments on his nice coat, finally his poops are great :thumbs up and our other dog (who has been on raw for about 8 years because she was allergic to everything) can even eat it without reaction.

My question is whether or not anyone has tried the full range of TO and if so have found the other flavors to be as good. I am currently trying the Elk and Salmon and so far so good. I like the grain free aspect of Ocean Blue but would like to be able to give other proteins as well as I believe that helps prevent the development of allergies. Ideally I would switch on a fairly regular basis ... maybe ocean blue then something else and then back to ocean blue and so on.

MyBirdIsEvil
November 5th, 2006, 11:35 PM
I started my dogs out on the Dakota Bison and after that was gone tried the Ocean Blue. Right now I've had them on the Wilderness Elk for almost 3 months (can't remember an exact date) since they seem to like it the best. I like their coat and muscle condition and they seem to be doing well - I also feed them a bit of cooked meat, some yogurt, and they get fruit as treats.

Those are the 3 best formulas IMO.
I think most of the others had some sort of poultry in them and one of my dogs is definately allergic to chicken so I don't know about those.

Prin
November 5th, 2006, 11:39 PM
We might be getting it here soon.. :fingerscr And if we do, the three MyBird mentioned are the ones I'd like to try out on my doggies.:shrug:

Goldens4Ever
November 6th, 2006, 04:17 PM
We recently switched our girls to the TO Lamb, Barley, & Apple formula. They were previously on Solid Gold's Lamb & Barley formula. Our vet wanted us to stick with the same meat and grain. They are doing very, very well on it. Their stools have not decreased in quantity; however, they are firmer due to the lower grain content & higher meat content. In addition, I like this particular formula because the first four ingredients are:

Lamb, Salmon Meal, Lamb Meal, Salmon

Plus, nutritional analysis of this formula meets the particular needs of our two golden retrievers:

PROTEIN: 28%
FAT: 18%
FIBER: 3%
MOISTURE: 9%
ASH: 6.9%
Kcal/kg: 3,920
OMEGA-6 FATTY ACIDS: 3.8%
OMEGA-3 FATTY ACIDS: 1.3%

TeriM
November 6th, 2006, 07:05 PM
Thanks, Lamb is one of the types I was interested in.

Goldens4Ever
November 8th, 2006, 04:12 PM
TeriM,

As I mentioned in another thread, the only thing I am unhappy about with TO's foods, is the packaging, as it is thin and flimsy. Plus, it is not vacuume sealed. I really like the thick foil packing like Solid Gold & Evolve's, plus SG vacuume seals their bags. I think that the packaging is important and TO just doesn't meet the expectation there. But, that isn't enough for us to stop purchasing it. Post a thread to let people know how you like the formula that you choose.

Prin
November 8th, 2006, 04:14 PM
Actually, SG doesn't purposely vacuum seal. They fly it over the rockies to get it here, and in the process, the air is sucked out. (That's what I was told anyway). Some go a different route and aren't vacuumed as a result.:shrug:

Goldens4Ever
November 8th, 2006, 04:30 PM
Prin-
That's interesting to hear because on the back of the SG bags we purchased, there was a little.....I don't know what you call it.....a hole with a plastic seal, which looks like the place where they would place the tube in it to suck the air out :shrug: It's about 6 inches down from the top of the bag, right in the middle. I know there's a correct term for it, but it's kind of like what you see on air mattresses.....Plus, before we opened the bag, it flat and all scrunched together; we could see the outline of all the food in it, as there was no room for air. Then, we we opened it, all the air came out (and made this loud whoosh sound) and the bag expanded to a normal size. Ours were definitely vacuume sealed.

Prin
November 8th, 2006, 06:06 PM
Yeah, whatever air comes out stays out, but they don't necessarily vacuum seal it. I've bought about 50/50 vacuumed and not. :shrug:

coppperbelle
November 8th, 2006, 06:45 PM
I was told by a supplier that their bags are vacuum sealed. They do it on purpose. He has been feeding Solid Gold for a long long time. I haven't had the heart to call him and tell him that I am no longer feeding it.

Prin
November 8th, 2006, 07:11 PM
:shrug: Well, like everything dog foody, we all hear different things, eh? :rolleyes:

What did you decide on coppper? Are you sticking with the DVP Venison? (sorry for the threadjack TeriM)

TeriM
November 8th, 2006, 09:38 PM
I also have noticed that some of the SG bags are vacumned and some aren't. I will have a closer look next time I am at the store (not that it matters cause I'm not feeding it).

I didn't think the TO bags were very thin. My cats weren't able to break into them (they are very good at that!) so must be somewhat sturdy.

What I love about the TO product (tried the Ocean Blue, Wilderness Elk/Salmon) is that it smells good. Never ever opened a dog food bag and had that reaction until TO.

rainbow
November 8th, 2006, 10:24 PM
I used to feed TO and my cats managed to get into it probably because it smells so good. :D The dogs really liked it but their poops were always on the soft side. The same thing with Solid Gold. We switched to Innova and now their poops are fine. :shrug:

Goldens4Ever
November 9th, 2006, 09:26 AM
Rainbow,

WOW- that certainly goes to show that no one food (or line of food) works the same for every dog! Their poops were semi-soft on SG also, but they are VERY firm on the TO :crazy:

rainbow
November 9th, 2006, 05:42 PM
WOW- that certainly goes to show that no one food (or line of food) works the same for every dog!

Yeah, isn't that the truth. That's why I don't ever recommend just one brand. :o