Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Pregnant kitten

Susan K.
November 5th, 2006, 06:15 PM
Hello, Im new here and Im in need of help. It seems I have a couple of kittens in my backyard that have adopted me. I feed them a couple of times a day. I am wondering if one is pregnant because it has a somewhat swollen belly. Does anyone know the earliest that a kitten can concieve. Is there a way to check the sex of a young kitten of 3 maybe 4 months? Thanks for any help you can offer. Regards, Susan

BMDLuver
November 5th, 2006, 07:15 PM
Highly unlikely that a 3-4 month old kitten is pregnant. Would more probably be worms or another health problem. If worms and you are feeding them wet food then ask your local vet for some worming powder and put a 1/4 of the normal dose in the wet food every 3rd day for 15 days. If it is worms, then the kitten will lose it's belly pretty quickly.

You might consider finding a rescue in your area who would be willing to give you a break by offering you low cost altering.

As for telling male and females apart, the males at about 4 months should be starting to become obvious. The difference is normally the distance between the privates. The females have more distance if memory serves me right. It's not an easy thing to tell unless you are used to checking all the time.

badger
November 5th, 2006, 07:20 PM
Unless they're very fluffy, one can usually see their little balls (or not). It's hard to estimate age, I find, particularly if they have lacked nutrition in the past, which stunts their growth. The one kitten might be pregnant but it could also be worms. Only a vet can make the call.
Are you planning on adopting them? Lots of information here if you are.