Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Officer Finds Puppy

Cathy1
November 5th, 2006, 03:06 PM
Officer Finds Puppy

During a routine patrol, Constable Robin Bannon with the Nishnawnbe-Aski police in Wunnumin Lake First Nation discovered a precious little 8-week old puppy frozen to a garbage bag at the community dump. Freeing him and thawing the icicles from his fur, she kept him safe and warm and named him Niichii (nee-chee), which means “my little friend”. Worried that his severely deformed legs might be broken and with no veterinary services available to the small community she arranged for him to be flown here to Thunder Bay.
X-rays revealed no scarring that would indicate Niichii's legs had ever been broken. What he has is a birth defect called Bilateral Symetrical Angular Limb Deformity. There are only a few options, one being very costly surgery at the University of Minneapolis with cost estimated at $5,000. US. The vets will be looking into options for Niichii so keep your fingers crossed for him!
Niichii is now at localdogrescue.com

Skryker
November 5th, 2006, 03:16 PM
Poor little guy! :fingerscr for him.

Frenchy
November 5th, 2006, 05:24 PM
OMG poor baby ! :sad: Stupid stupid people that dump him instead of taking care of him :mad: I hope they can do something for him :fingerscr :pray: keep us posted if you can Cathy1.

chico2
November 5th, 2006, 05:37 PM
So often when we read stories like this one,it almost makes me believe in miracles.
This poor little baby could very well have frozen to death and here comes this officer and finds her/him:angel:
No matter what his chances are at a normal life,he's now warm,fed and loved,thank's to a wonderful person:love:
Good Luck wee baby:fingerscr

rainbow
November 7th, 2006, 04:41 AM
Poor little guy. :sad: Hopefully someone will do some fundraising to get him the help he so deserves. :fingerscr :fingerscr

greaterdane
November 7th, 2006, 04:46 AM
Poor little guy! I'm so glad someone found him and took the effort to get him somewhere so he can get care.

Dog Mom
November 7th, 2006, 03:37 PM
This hits close to home as I live in a northern community, not as remote as Wunnumin Lake but but we are close. I'm just happy this little one got out in time because I can't count the number of frozen puppies and dogs that we see @ the local dump every winter :mad: it is so heart breaking!

Cathy1
November 11th, 2006, 12:02 PM
Niichii suffers from a birth defect in both of his front legs known as Bilateral Symetrical Angular Limb Deformity. This is likely the result of something that occurred in the womb prior to his birth. This basically means that Niichi's legs bend in directions they shouldn't and point outwards to the sides rather than to the front. His right front sometimes almost points backwards depending on how he is standing. There are only a few options for Niichii to help correct his legs:

Surgery at the University of Minneapolis: His legs would need to be surgically "broken" and then with the aid of external clamps, the bones would be adjusted to the correct position over a matter of months as he develops. Cost for this surgery would be about $5000 US.
Leg Splints: Both legs would be splinted to adjust the direction and angles of growth as the bones in his legs develop. We are waiting to hear from the vets at the U. of M. to see if this is a viable option.
Natural development: Niichii is adapting well to his disability. He is walking and running well, playing with the other dogs and is behaving like a normal puppy in every way.
Euthanasia: This is not an option for Niichii, so don't worrry - he won't be going anywhere any time soon!
Thank you to everyone who donated towards Niichii's initial veterinary costs. We recieved donations from as far away as Woodstock and Tilbury Ontario. Your generosity is greatly appreciated!

On November 1 2006 Constable Robin Bannon, an officer with the Nishnawbe-Aski police stationed in Wunnumin Lake First Nation, was performing a routine patrol when she noticed a large flock of ravens gathered around something at the community dump. Pulling over to investigate what had piqued the birds interest, she found a small puppy covered in icicles and frozen to a garbage bag. The pup had probably frozen to the ground after laying down to sleep through the cold night. Freeing him from the ice, she noticed both of his front legs were deformed. The pup tried to walk but his legs flopped around in all directions and folded underneath themselves. Suspecting his legs were broken but with no veterinary services available to the small community, she contacted me for help. She arranged for the pup to be flown to Thunder Bay the following day, the soonest flight that was available. In the meantime, Robin kept him nice and warm and gave him some much needed food. Looking so much like a police dog, she called him her little K9 helper and named him Niichii (nee-chee), which means "my little friend".

Niichii had a wonderful flight thanks to the kindness of the pilots who let him stay in with the passengers. We picked him up from the airport at 2:45pm and took him straight to the vet for his 3:45 appointment. Watching him walk was painful; the poor boys legs were all over the place yet he never let out as much as a whimper. Niichii saw Dr. Smith of the Northwest Veterinary Hosptial and x-rays confirmed Dr. Smith's diagnosis that Niichii's legs were deformed, not broken. What a relief! Well, sort of....

Niichiii has come a long way since he first arrived. I believe his new healthy diet has really helped him gain control over his legs and they seem to be getting stronger as each day goes by. In just a week I have seen an incredible improvement in his mobility. He runs and plays with the other dogs and fly's up and down the stairs like theres no tomorrow. Not once have I heard him cry or show any signs of being in pain or discomfort. Niichii will remain here until we can decide the best course of action to take.

More updates will come soon...

Golden Girls
November 11th, 2006, 02:56 PM
OMG ... I was so scared to read it - thank you for posting it Kathy1. It's so nice hearing stories like this one :angel: All the best lil K9, please keep us posted on this guy

chico2
November 11th, 2006, 04:45 PM
Cathy,thank's for the update on this little guy:thumbs up
Whatever happens to him now,he's in good hands.
Maybe,since he's very young braces would be enough,but I would imagine it would be painful for him:sad:
Yes,please keep us updated and pics if you can get them:dog:

rainbow
November 12th, 2006, 03:36 AM
Glad to hear that there are so many caring people looking out for Niichii. :thumbs up Please keep us updated. :fingerscr

Cathy1
November 12th, 2006, 01:29 PM
Here's a couple of pics with his friends.

chico2
November 12th, 2006, 04:36 PM
Cathy,his x-ray pic does not look too bad,nor does the pic of him,maybe this is something he can live with???
Hopefully since a pups bones are soft,braces will be ok:confused:
He's got the sweetest little face:love:

Frenchy
November 12th, 2006, 04:43 PM
I second that Chico2 , being so young , there good hopes he recovers whatever the surgery :fingerscr Thanks you so much for the updates.

rainbow
November 13th, 2006, 01:38 AM
He looks okay in his picture but the xray is sad. :sad: I hope something can be done to correct the problem. :fingerscr :fingerscr

happycats
November 14th, 2006, 01:10 PM
What a sweetheart Niichii is:love:
I agree with Chico, maybe a soft brace will help straighten his legs out??
He is one beautiful pup. and I hope he finds a great home:fingerscr

Cathy1
November 16th, 2006, 11:41 AM
The rescue now has a video of Niichii. He is so sweet. Looks like he is getting around fine.
http://www.localdogrescue.com/videos.htm

chico2
November 16th, 2006, 04:47 PM
Cathy,he is adorable and seems to move around quiet well,what are the plans for him??
The thought of him frozen at a dump,is too horrible even to think of.
I've lived a long life, but still cannot understand how people can do such a thing,what kind of people can do this to a pup,it's sickening to say the least.
Your one lucky little pooch Niichii,to have been saved,not all people are evil:love:

Cathy1
November 16th, 2006, 07:33 PM
The rescue contacted me today and they want to keep him there until the vet decides whether to go ahead with surgery or let it be. They want to give him time to grow a bit to see how he progresses. The vet doesn't want to wait too long. After that they hope to put him up for adoption unless someone is willing to pay the upcoming costs they may let him go to the right home. I don't think I would trust someone to adopt him and take care of the surgery costs. I would love to have him and take care of the costs but I already have 2 dogs and a cat so I gave a donation instead.