Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Every Day is a Bad Hair Day

mummummum
November 5th, 2006, 10:29 AM
My gang all have looooonnnnng hair. Bridie and Declan are double coated and really prone to matting. Declan in particular is very tat and mat prone since he apparently was shaved pretty much down to the nubblies at one time. This seems to mostly be a problem on their behinds and tails (when Declan came home to me I had to have his tail shaved to the skin as it was beyond saving). Declan's coat is harsh and wiry on his behind and tail where I imagine given his Border Collie and Newf roots it should be soft. Bridie's is coat is similar athough she has never been shaved. I admittedly am lousy at grooming and never seem to have enough time to do it properly. I use Mane and Tail when brushing and combing and that helps get through the tats. Can anyone recommend a leave-in conditioner I can use that will help restore their coats?

technodoll
November 5th, 2006, 11:22 AM
i use this once in a while, even though the beanies don't need it... makes their coats extra soft...

http://www.miraclecorp.com/pet/lusterizer.html

Prin
November 7th, 2006, 07:59 PM
I was using CloudStar Buddy Splash leave in conditioner, which was great, but my man was allergic (but yeah, I recommend it).

So then I bought this stuff with tea tree oil in it and it's a bit crappier. Just watery and evaporates and just leaves the icky teatree smell.

So then, I bought CloudStar Buddy rinse, a real conditioner and that works great. :shrug:

OntarioGreys
November 7th, 2006, 08:38 PM
A lot of extra attention is needed during the shedding periods and a rake is needed to get the lose hair out when the new coat is coming in.
Mats should be worked out before bathing a dog otherwise you are causing them to get worse and tighter
What are you feeding? Diet is also very important in having a nice coat.

I am by no means a fanatic about grooming, for me the less work the better
Nikki gets a brushing one a months more in the spring and fall during the shedding period but starting with a good diet helps to reduce the amount of grooming needed

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y53/mleg2001/other%20images/be51a7ee67e2f133bae42ec26bd2b3e9.jpg

Lise
November 10th, 2006, 08:42 AM
I use the Vet Solutions oatmeal shampoo and conditioner.Shampoo is soap free and the aloe conditioner works fantastic.I also use a blower to get rid of dead undercoat.When you wash if you use a rubber curry comb that also helps to loosen dead coat.

mummummum
November 11th, 2006, 10:26 PM
Thanks all ! I do use a rubber curry comb ~ they enjoy the massage aspect of it and I'm sure it's great for their skin. It doesn't scare up much hair though ~ Bridie and Declan's coats are very thick. While I did get a mat breaker, I never did order that rake ~ duhhhh. Thanks for reminding me, that's likely to make a big difference in preventing matting. Prin, can't say I've ever heard of Cloudstar ~ is that a drugstore or salon purchase ? Does it come in mega-sizes? Ontariogreys, right now we are Timberwolfing with salmon oil capsules mixed in with the kibble. A couple of times a week they'll have either salmon or tuna (and BADBADBAD Mummummum...bacon and eggs on Sundays. I can't believe you only brush Nikki once monthly ~ she's gorgeous! Lise and Technodoll~ do you think the dog-specific products are more effective than the human products? I have a dog all-natural shampoo concentrate which I find tremendous and very much worth the money but the very expensive dog conditioner I went through in no time. My gang don't get a whole lot of baths though and Declan I couldn't get into a bath to save my soul. My groomer must be psychic ~ she called me last week to see how everybody was faring ~ so Bridie and Declan went for their "beauty treatments" on Thursday. Mane and Tail makes an olive oil based leave-in conditioner, we may try that given how well their detangler works on the scruffians. Has anyone used it with any success?