Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Have I gone too far?/winter wear for short haired dogs

pitgrrl
November 5th, 2006, 08:05 AM
I need some input from Canadians, specifically those who suffer through the cold, cold Quebec winters.

My dogs have really short hair, and are almost bald on their chests/bellies. They're also really full of energy and need a bunch of daily excersise, but because of a variety of factors (like not having a yard, the dogs having wonky joints, etc. ) this usually consists of really long, brisk walks. When it gets to -20C though, I start to get pretty worried about protecting them from the cold, but would still like to stay out for 1-2hours at a time.

Soooooooo, they already have muttluks and these coats:
http://www.chillydogs.ca/productGreatWhiteNorthAllBreed.html

These still leave a good section of their stomachs and all of their legs bare though. Would something like this be going too far though?:

http://www.k9topcoat.com/product.asp?specific=103

I might just be being paranoid, it has been known to happen :o
I would just really like to be able to stick with our walking schedual through the winter, and not live with the doggie crazies.

erykah1310
November 5th, 2006, 09:20 AM
I like the topcoat fleecy thing, but... how would they pee?????

I think it would be great if they didnt have to pee.

For me when its colder out we just play out for short periods ( no real winter walks) when its a bit warmer out we do our big hikes and snowshoe trips.

mummummum
November 5th, 2006, 09:25 AM
Erykah1310, it looks like the body suit is open in the uh... whiz zone so that shouldn't pose a problem.

vfrohloff
November 5th, 2006, 10:10 AM
If you can afford it, I say get the body suits, especially if your dogs like to be outdoors a lot in the winter. I have fleece winter coats and muttluks for my Greys but they really don't like to be out in the winter so that's just fine for me.

pitgrrl
November 5th, 2006, 10:12 AM
I like the topcoat fleecy thing, but... how would they pee?????

I think it would be great if they didnt have to pee.

For me when its colder out we just play out for short periods ( no real winter walks) when its a bit warmer out we do our big hikes and snowshoe trips.

It looks open in the relevant area. Imagine it wasn't though :eek:

The problem is short playtimes outside just don't do it for them, and I don't really have regular access to a fenced in area. My normal schedual is a total of about 4 hours of walks a day, and that is the minimum to keep them happy and calm in the house, hence the desire to bundle them up on the really cold days.

technodoll
November 5th, 2006, 11:27 AM
the fleece bodysuit looks like a good idea for dry walks, but if it snows... which melts on a warm body... you will have to peel a wet suit off the dogs after the walk and i can't imagine that is very warm or pleasant for them :rolleyes:

what about http://www.obtrack.com/dogcoat/us_skrylle.html ?

pitgrrl
November 5th, 2006, 11:44 AM
I already have Chilly Dogs fleece and nylon coats for them, so they're protected against the snow/rain. I was thinking more about putting the fleece body suit under the coat on really cold days for extra warmth,
leg cover and more belly covering.

I wish I could just find a pattern for something similar, because at $65 USD for two dogs, those things are pretty expensive for just the coldest days.

Prin
November 5th, 2006, 12:08 PM
Yeah, for extra warmth, I say go for it, but I wouldn't put it on alone. Fleece is a HORRIBLE windbreaker... Wouldn't do anything for those -60 with the wind days. But if you put a windbreaker on top, then for sure.:)

Stacer
November 5th, 2006, 12:30 PM
Aren't you afraid of your dogs getting made fun of by the other dogs?:D :evil:

Lissa
November 5th, 2006, 12:55 PM
"Have I gone too far"

I think its going too far if the coat is for your own piece of mind instead of the dogs needing them:o

You may want to consider if your dogs will still run in a full body suit and a chilly dog coat over top. I'd also worry about body suit fabric snagging on ice/rocks because I don't think its the kind of material you can easily patch/sew up.

I have Simplicity Pattern package 9520 - if you think any of those designs would help, I can scan the pattern dimensions. This link should take you to page 3 of pet patterns (bottom right is the one I have - if you click on the picture it will show you all the patterns it comes with:)) "Grandma" is making Dodger the oversized rain jacket at the moment, I will post pics when its ready)
http://www.simplicity.com/index.cfm?crit=1065&page=thumbnailCustom.cfm&id=1110&startrow=19

pitgrrl
November 5th, 2006, 02:32 PM
Well that's the thing really, I can't tell if it's necessary for them. Their fur is so, so short and the inside of thir thighs totally bald, that I can't imagine that in the midst of Montreal winter they're not cold.

Thanks for the links to the patterns, I"m going to check them out.

PetFriendly
November 5th, 2006, 03:20 PM
I wish I could just find a pattern for something similar, because at $65 USD for two dogs, those things are pretty expensive for just the coldest days.

They have patterns for dog clothes (even big dogs) in the pattern books at fabric stores!

PetFriendly
November 5th, 2006, 03:25 PM
I have Simplicity Pattern package 9520 - "Grandma" is making Dodger the oversized rain jacket at the moment, I will post pics when its ready)

Only slightly :offtopic: but here is what the largest version of that coat looks like (I've made two so far). If you can get her to make the 'belly strap' wider is more rugged and comfortable. The reflective stuff is kind of expensive, but works really well and lasts a long time, its also available at the fabric store.

http://i88.photobucket.com/albums/k194/shnoune/P1010031.jpg

Lissa
November 5th, 2006, 03:53 PM
Thanks for the tip - I wish I could pass it on but its already done (just the velcro to go now):( I wanted to have a chest and belly strap so the coat wouldn't move as much but since he won't be wearing this for anything more than an on-leash walk, I didn't want to waste the time figuring out the exact measurements. The raincoat is to make clean-up easier when I am lazy:o (we have white carpets so its not pretty!)

Skadi's coat is SO cute and MUCH nicer colours! What material did you make it out of? Dodger's has fleece/flanel on the inside and rain coat material on the outside so its completely warm/waterproof....because Dodger's everday gear is in hunting dog coloursl the raincoat material is ORANGE to match - so not the most appealing!!!:crazy:

PetFriendly
November 5th, 2006, 04:36 PM
Skadi's coat is waterproofed rip-stop nylon that is lined with coton (broadcloth type material). Its all lightweight material because she doesn't need the warth, only to stay dry/clean!

I prefer snaps to velco as I find they hold better and they aren't that hard to install. The belly strap might be worth it since if the wind is strong it'll catch in the back of the coat and flip it up.

Prin
November 5th, 2006, 04:40 PM
Or you could just do corner leg elastics... That's what Jemma's outward hound jacket has.:shrug:

chico2
November 5th, 2006, 04:45 PM
Lissa,wish I knew how to use my sewingmachine properly,the kitty stuff patterns are adorable:cat:

PetFriendly
November 5th, 2006, 06:44 PM
Lissa,wish I knew how to use my sewingmachine properly,the kitty stuff patterns are adorable:cat:

the patterns are pretty straight forward, and if you get a simplicity pattern its well explained... If I can do it, anyone can.

OntarioGreys
November 5th, 2006, 06:47 PM
The Chilly dog coat covers most of the chest, so fine as a coat and better than many of the ones available.

So you are basically wanting something with legs like this
http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y53/mleg2001/my%20gang/678ad1c331e90b72ef7ed4e12564cf1b.jpg

http://www.kwiksew.com/Cold_Fusion/catalog/Frame_New.cfm search by pattern number 3076...... scroll down on the left

PetFriendly
November 5th, 2006, 06:53 PM
Or you could just do corner leg elastics... That's what Jemma's outward hound jacket has.:shrug:

My guy hates those... And they are hard to sew into the exact right place. Of course with girl dogs its easier, you can just make the belly strap wider.

pitgrrl
November 5th, 2006, 07:45 PM
The Chilly dog coat covers most of the chest, so fine as a coat and better than many of the ones available.

So you are basically wanting something with legs like this
http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y53/mleg2001/my%20gang/678ad1c331e90b72ef7ed4e12564cf1b.jpg

http://www.kwiksew.com/Cold_Fusion/catalog/Frame_New.cfm search by pattern number 3076...... scroll down on the left

Exactly!
Greyhounds don't have much fur right? Do you find they need leg protection in the winter?

Lissa
November 6th, 2006, 08:12 AM

Minnow is also getting a jacket - hers is blue to match her eyes! I sure as heck couldn't make it but that's what "Grandma's" for!:D

Prin - that's an excellent idea and can still be added - I will have to pass that on...I wish I had thought of that!!

OntarioGreys
November 6th, 2006, 05:30 PM
Exactly!
Greyhounds don't have much fur right? Do you find they need leg protection in the winter?

Greyhound don't have much fur and they don't have the body fat like other breeds have either that helps to insulate, but even still allowing them to climatize to gradually colder temps helps them to tolerate the cold better, at the greyhound racing kennels in the north eastern states it would simply be impossible to coat up 100 or so greyhounds for each turn out so they do have to get used to it and most will run around a bit to warm themselves up.

The long outfit I made for Maya because she came from Florida in February so did not have a chance to climatize to our weather, and we were cold snap then , but typically they only wear coats and boots on walks when they willl be out for longer periods after -10 C and for going potty in the yard mostly coatless unless it is getting really cold, Sunny needs a coat at around -15(as he is getting older now) and Maya about -25 to 30 depending on windchill, But at even -20 Maya will hang out in the yard and after about 20 minutes I will go out and drag her in I have found as long as they are kept moving on a walk they tend to stay warm.

The coats I made for them cover their hips, neck, chest and head between that and the boots it helps prevent too much heat loss, therefore the blood flow helps to keep the legs warmer since it is being heated in the covered areas , and being they walk on all fours their circulatory system is designed to be much more effective than a humans since it is not having to fight gravity as much, also they do not sweat same way we do which also aids in keeping them warmer the only skin area on a dog that sweats is their feet. for us we sweat all over our skin so that cause more fluid loss and make us more susceptible to chilling If you put your hands under their coat when they are walking even in very cold temps you will find their body temp is very warm, if you are putting them in coats at warmer temps such as near zero or overdressing them and then walking them a distance you are actually them to overheat and lose fluids sweating and also causing them to be less able to regulate their own temp to be able to tolerate the cold.

The number of super cold days of -30 to -40 is few and far between where a legged outfit for a larger breed healthy could be of benefit for extended outings( but better suited just for standing around or dawdling in the extreme cold rather than for exercise at those temps) in extreme cold you want to limit physical exercise because of the cold air on their lungs. For example the northern US dog race tracks that are open year round have underground heating systems to warm the sand bases to prevent the sand from freezing so that the sand gives and acts like a cushion when they are running to prevent leg injuries but when a cold snap occurs and the temps fall below a certain point all racing is suspended until the temps climb again because they have found that with exertion and deep breathing their lungs will become burned from the cold which can cause permanent damage(the same reason a scarf is recommend for us, the scarf is not only to protect the face but to help warm the air we breathe in) , and they are only out long enough for potty breaks during the severe cold snaps. So even on a long brisk walk and if you overdress the dog causing them to pant to try to cool themselves in extreme cold weather it can have the same effect.

coppperbelle
November 6th, 2006, 06:11 PM
I saw a lady walking her miniature schnauzer this morning and he was wearing the coolest coat. It looked like a little straight jacket and covered his legs. It looked like it may have been down filled and it fit the dog perfectly. It was a bright red and looked great against his grey fur. If I see her again I will ask her where she bought it.

coppperbelle
November 6th, 2006, 06:25 PM
check this one out. It looks very similar to the one I saw this morning

http://www.rvrg.com/Snowsuit.html

Prin
November 6th, 2006, 07:44 PM
Pretty cute! :)

downloader
November 8th, 2006, 07:49 PM
Get some snugglies they are going to be on specail soon. http://www.decotogs.com/

pics http://www.bluewhippet.net/truman/10weeks.html

PetFriendly
November 9th, 2006, 07:28 PM
I just bought a pattern for something similar but smaller. The little yorkie didn't put on the fat we thought he would (3.5 lbs soaking wet) and the poor guy is cold all the time, even indoors. All I have to do is find some matrial that isn't too stiff that I can spray with waterproofing so he can wear them outside too without melting all the snow he comes into contact with. :confused:

pug lover
November 9th, 2006, 08:28 PM
rosie wears something like the warm up suit and a roots wind breaker

any suit that u get u have to tuck the boots under the suit to keep the snow out of the boots we velcro then down:)

no lost boots a warm pup what more could a dog want:thumbs up

PetFriendly
November 10th, 2006, 08:33 PM
This is a little :offtopic: but, we can't find boots to fit our guy. My dog wear muttlucks, size itty bitty, and those are way too big for the yorkie. Anyone have supper itty bitty sized boots and care to share where they got them?

Lissa
November 11th, 2006, 08:49 AM
This is a little :offtopic: but, we can't find boots to fit our guy. My dog wear muttlucks, size itty bitty, and those are way too big for the yorkie. Anyone have supper itty bitty sized boots and care to share where they got them?

I had to use baby socks for Minnow (when she cut her paw) - you'd have to sew on some waterproof and/or grippy material though...