- Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 


Dog with UTI and other symptoms

November 4th, 2006, 11:01 PM
My almost 2-year old Labradoodle had been vomiting every once in a while, getting more frequent as time went on over the course of a few weeks. She also seemed to be urinating more often and it seemed to be hurting her. We took her to the vet and the urine sample came out to be a unirary track infection and a bladder infection. He gave us antibiotics to give to her. We usually give them to her with peanut butter, since she takes them voluntarily that way. She has not eaten much at all, and has not passed a stool in about 4-5 days. She refuses to eat her food, but will grub for other food. She will eat treats, and has been eating the peanut butter but not her food. Today, she threw up the antibiotics, im assuming because there is no food in her stomach. Is there anything wrong with her besides what our vet has told us? Is there anything we can do to make her eat more? What can we do for her? Does this sound like a lethal illness?

November 4th, 2006, 11:13 PM
I'd have blood tests done asap. Make sure they test kidney function.

November 4th, 2006, 11:46 PM
I agree about another vet visit. How long on the antibiotics? I have also found in the past that they can really upset a tummy so have done some things like yogurt, scrambled eggs, chicken broth etc. which seems to help settle things. Pepto-Bismal (use tablets ... much easier!) can also be really helpful with an upset tummy.

November 4th, 2006, 11:54 PM
Im pretty sure she is due for another visit already, and im also pretty sure the vet is doing bloodwork. She is on Cephalexin, 2 pills 2 times a day for one week. She likes yogurt, so maybe ill try giving her some. Isn't it odd though that she is refusing only her food and peanut butter and will accept other things? I'm guessing its because she threw up food and peanut butter before and now she doesnt want them?

thanks for the help,
please keep replying

November 5th, 2006, 12:06 AM
Make sure the yogurt has no artificial sweeteners in it (toxic to dogs).

As long as she has an appetite for something, that's a good sign...:o

November 5th, 2006, 12:47 AM
dairy products and antacids can cause absorption problems of certain antibiotics and cause them to become ineffective like tetracyclines
so I would discuss with the vet before trying yogurt or pepto bismol unless you know for sure.

With this particular drug though it is okay

November 5th, 2006, 12:51 AM
What is the most important information I should know about cephalexin?
Take all of the cephalexin that has been prescribed for you even if you begin to feel better. Your symptoms may start to improve before the infection is completely treated.
Cephalexin can be taken on an empty stomach or with food or milk if it causes stomach upset.

This is taken from
It says that it can be taken with milk, so im assuming its fine with other dairy products.

November 5th, 2006, 12:59 AM
Some dogs are just intolerant of cephalexin. A couple of ours are. They typically begin throwing up after a few days on it, but usually this is concurrent with soft stools or diarrhea. (The lack of stool would concern me more than anything... )

:fingerscr It might just be that she needs a change of antibiotic, but if it were me, I'd schedule another trip to the vet ASAP.

Hope she feels better soon!

November 5th, 2006, 01:02 AM
Does your dog still like to chew and swallow things?

The vomitting, no stools and no desire to eat could be signs of a blockage

November 5th, 2006, 09:28 AM
yea she still chews and swallows treats

November 5th, 2006, 10:52 AM
The fact that there hasn't been any poops in 4-5 days worries me too. I too am concerned of a possible blockage. Maybe have the vet do x-rays just to be safe. I know she hasn't eaten much in the last few days, but you'd think she'd still have a little bowel movement from eating the peanut butter and treats alone.

Let us know how it turns out.:fingerscr

November 5th, 2006, 08:44 PM
After checking in the yard today, she has passed a few stools but very little. She still refuses to eat and has vomited today's pills again. Since she refuses to eat it is becoming hard to give her the pills, and she is throwing them up again like yesterday. She is going back to the vet tomorrow about her eating problem. I'll let you know what he says and how it turns out.

November 5th, 2006, 09:04 PM
:fingerscr :fingerscr please keep us posted

November 6th, 2006, 02:56 AM
After checking in the yard today, she has passed a few stools but very little.

Are they "normal" stools? If they are small or skinny she could still have a blockage. Glad you are going to the vet. Please keep us posted. :fingerscr

November 6th, 2006, 06:34 PM
Good news. We took her to the vet today. She was very drowsy all night and in the morning and did not have much energy from not eating. She was at the vet from 10am-6:30pm he gave her antibiotics intravenously and did x-rays and bloodwork. She has no blockages whatsoever, but she still did not eat. He sent her home with new antibiotics that hopefully her stomach will cope with, and he gave us canned soft food to eat. He told us to try giving it to her and if she does not take it to mix it with water and feed her with a syringe. We just got home and i tried feeding it to her, and she started eating it! Hopefully she will progress back to her food during the week. Thanks for the help and hopefully i wont be posting anymore problems.

November 6th, 2006, 06:42 PM
Glad to hear she is ok. Make sure to take it pretty slow with the feeding as her tummy could be a little sensitive.

November 7th, 2006, 12:38 AM
Glad to hear that she is eating and hope she continues to improve. :fingerscr Good luck and keep us posted. :fingerscr

November 7th, 2006, 12:15 PM
Good luck for a speedy recovery. :fingerscr :dog:

November 7th, 2006, 01:12 PM
Bad news. The vet called today and said that the bloodwork he did yesterday was not good. She was taken to an animal hospital today and now has to stay there for 2-3 days and undergo tests.

November 7th, 2006, 01:19 PM
Oh No :sad:

I am sending good vibes and prayers your way:fingerscr :pray:
Hopefully everything will soon be all better.
Did the vet say what the results of the bloodwork meant?

November 7th, 2006, 02:01 PM
Oh no! Poor doggy! :grouphug: :fingerscr

November 7th, 2006, 02:07 PM
So sorry to hear about the bloodwork. Did your vet give you any information as to what they suspect? Keep us posted. :fingerscr :grouphug:

November 8th, 2006, 12:43 AM
So sorry to hear about your baby. Positive thoughts and good prayers for you both.

November 8th, 2006, 02:07 PM
Yeterday, the vet and the doctors at the hospital knew something was wrong with her kidneys. They were doing tests to find out what it was exactly. I waited impatiently all day awaiting the results, hoping for the best. Later last night, i called the hospital and the doctor explained to me what she had and said "If i were to pick a kidney disease to have, this would be the one id pick", they diagnosed her with Addison's disease. She is getting steroid treatment and will probably need medicines and other things to help keep her up and running, but i am so glad that they know what it is and that its cureable. This morning they told me that she was eating last night, but they couldnt get her to eat again that morning. Hopefully she will start breaking back in to eating.

November 8th, 2006, 02:15 PM
Greatish news. :o I'm glad she'll be ok. There are a few threads around here about feeding a dog with kidney disease because lack of appetite seems to be a regular problem with them.

Good luck! :fingerscr

November 9th, 2006, 02:09 AM
Sorry to hear about the diagnosis. :grouphug: Hope she continues to improve. :fingerscr :fingerscr