Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Dog with e-coli, giardia, & coccidia post-urethrostomy

alexandersmom
November 4th, 2006, 02:48 PM
Hi again,

I posted just a minute ago with questions ago about website help regarding urethrostomy questions...

We are so thankful that our baby is in such good hands because their extensive and thorough testing has revealed that Alexander has not only his surgical complications to deal with, but e-coli, giardia, and coccidia!!!

He is on macrodantin and flagyl (brand names instead of the scientific) and we are awaiting a 3rd to be added pending the approval of eye doctor...Apparently standard treatment for coccidia can complicate his dry eye syndrome :(

My question to this knowledgeable group is how to be sure to get rid of the giardia and coccidia from our house and YARD...

The little bit that I've read sounds like it's a nightmare.

He is a single pet, altho our lot backs up to a wooded area. The he internist indicated we would be okay after everything freezes, but that's not what I read on-line.

Any help would be MUCH appreciated!!!!

Thank you SO MUCH!!

Also, didn't think to ask-can my hubby and I get any of these???

OntarioGreys
November 5th, 2006, 12:58 AM
Where do you live?

If you where living in the mid to southern states the winters are not cold long enough to have a permafrost, where as in northern US and Canada the ground with freeze down several inches for several months , so articles you read refer to areas where the ground temps do not get the perma frost which is needed to kill off there organisms so in those areas they can survive for years, so depending where you live your vet could be right

alexandersmom
November 5th, 2006, 01:40 PM
we're in Maryland and this is our first winter here, so I'm not sure how the freeze will be...we're used to Chicago winters where I wouldn't worry, but in Maryland I think we will have a problem...

any suggestions???

I'm also concerned that anything we use to kill the organisms in the yard will be harmful for Alexander because of his immune compromised state, but at this point we're thinking the more import thing is to keep him from re-infecting himself.

I'm wondering if anyone has a suggestion for a vet school contact with a great parasite/bio dept to contact since the info I've seen on the web has not been specific about what to use.

Thanks everyone-still looking for treatment specifics :D

Angies Man
November 5th, 2006, 06:56 PM
First of all, you have to be very careful about this stuff. Wash your hands, a lot!! And I'd put in a shallow foot bath coming in from the yard with bleach added and step in on the way in. If your dog is coming in and out, he should have his feet cleaned with antibacterial wipes. Clean up and dispose of his poops immediately, too.

Ideally you should leave Alexander at the vets until his bout of Giardia and the E Coli are cleared up. These are very serious illnesses that can be transmitted to humans and can have dire medical consequences. Both are transmitted by exposure to fecal material, even minute portions can transmit these illnesses.

You and your children can get giardia from you dog--it isn't that tough to get rid of, but it will cause illness and diahrea. Same with the E Coli, which can be very dangerous. Frequent hand washing and keeping the floors very clean and treated with disinfectants is mandatory!!! Never allow your kids to pet the dog and then put their hands near their faces--same for you and your spouse and any visitors that come into the house.

Talk to your vet of course, but you could treat (multiple times) your yard with a water soluable anti-bacterial/parasitic agent--bleach is possible (it will harm grass) or quat. Use a brand new, never used garden sprayer, and make the solution very strong. Also, I'd put up a run for Alexander to restrict his movements for a while. No running untethered in the woods, and restrict his exposure to the rest of the yard. Probably your local health department or Cooperative Extension office could be of help, too.

Btw, here in the western US at least, Giardia has a common name "beaver fever" because it can be contracted by drinking untreated water out of mountain streams. I shared an office with a guy in college that got Giardia while camping in the Idaho mountains. He was sick enough that he needed to be hospitalized. It can also be a common problem in preschools and day care situations.

Hand washing is an important preventative.

You might try getting in touch with the Veterinary Med. School at Washington State University (Pullman Washington.) Years ago, the number for the State Office of Cooperative Extension was 509-335-2511--they would undoubtedly help you get the correct phone number. (amazing that I remember that number, been almost 30 years since I worked there.)