Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Hello, but what kind of dog?

hull3551
November 4th, 2006, 12:53 PM
Greetings All,

I've been visiting this site for quite some time and I finally thought I'd post. Excellent site/resource and probably the best I've come across.

At any rate, any thoughts on what kind of our dog would be greatly appreciated (see pics). He is around 45 lbs, two feet high, has webbed toes and a very gentle temperament, yet quite protective. He's ten years old, but still very active (after two ACL surgeries).

I'm pretty certain he is Golden Retriever, but also possibly Border Collie (and someone suggest Australian Shepherd?). Look forward to posting more. :dog:

pug lover
November 4th, 2006, 03:48 PM
hi welcome to pets.ca
:grouphug:

phoenix
November 4th, 2006, 03:54 PM
welcome!
i have no idea... look at those curls! poodle perhaps? curly coated retriever??

Frenchy
November 4th, 2006, 04:20 PM
I've seen many goldens and yours is 95% golden retriever. Looks quite in shape for a 10 year old :thumbs up

hazelrunpack
November 4th, 2006, 04:23 PM
Welcome!

Chesapeake Bay Retrievers also have curly coats--and are known to be very protective of their families... Maybe a Chessy/Golden mix? Very pretty dog!

:D We photo junkies won't, of course, be able to tell for sure until after many more pics! :thumbs up

hull3551
November 4th, 2006, 05:39 PM
Thanks for the warm welcome and his suggested breeds. You never need to ask me twice about posting another picture!! :dog:

The Chesapeake Bay has been suggested. But he is a small dog (I think the runt) and was found abandoned as a puppy, but I've heard some retrievers are smaller. We've managed to spoil him horribly, but he is worth it.

badger
November 4th, 2006, 05:44 PM
He's 100% sweet. That landscape is amazing, where are you on the planet?

papillonmama
November 4th, 2006, 06:45 PM
Welcome to the board,

you must have noticed everyone loves pictures:D , thanks for posting him, he's such a cutie.

Perhaps he's a golden mixed with a Portuguese water dogs, PWD's have curly coats and webbed feet.

It's also possible that being abandoned at such a young age he just didn't have a chance to grow very big. Whatever the case he sure is an interesting looking dog.

Welcome:thumbs up

muckypup
November 4th, 2006, 07:15 PM
I think mixed with Curly Coated Retriever.

hull3551
November 4th, 2006, 11:46 PM
Thanks for all your insight and input regarding what kind of dog Sam might be. I think it's funny how we humans need to typify, categorize, label and name everything, whereas a pet just wants affection, food, and a place to sleep fifteen hours a day (and an occasional letter carrier to bark at).

That landscape is amazing, where are you on the planet?

The top picture is at a US interstate rest area near the Nevada/Utah border. The water is only a few inches deep and is usually a salt flat, but it recently rained.

The bottom one is from the Maine Coast in Arcadia Natl Park.

It's also possible that being abandoned at such a young age he just didn't have a chance to grow very big...
Welcome:thumbs up

We sometimes call him a halfling because he's so small (but I do not think he takes offense).

Everything good in the world can be found in this little yellow dog. (And I am sure that most people on this board feel the same about their pets.)