Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

I think Ted the feral cat actually likes me!

vfrohloff
November 4th, 2006, 12:01 PM
Is this weird? I've fed wild cats before and even tamed some of them, but they don't usually LIKE me! I have spent many hours for the past several months getting him used to me, to the point where I could pat him and he'd only hiss once or twice. But lately, he's been really affectionate, rubbing up against my leg, reaching up with his head for me to give him a scratch. I feed him whenever he comes to the door, which lately has been about 3 or 4 times a day. So last night when he came to the door I went out with his food but he wasn't interested in it, he wanted affection from ME. Oh dear, this means he'll probably end up in my house eventually. :rolleyes: I'm such a sucker. Now I just have to convince DH which could be tricky since I swore to him that I wouldn't take in any more cats until we lost a few. We had to have one put to sleep 2 weeks ago, does that count? It's also probably not a great idea to bring a feral cat into the house when I've got a baby on the way in February. I'm just thinking aloud, thanks for listening!

jesse's mommy
November 4th, 2006, 12:31 PM
Bring him in, bring him in. :D

vfrohloff
November 5th, 2006, 08:35 AM
Just what I need, more encouragement! :D I broached the subject last night with little success. I complained that winter is coming and that poor Ted might be cold. Well, DH didn't buy it for a second. Maybe because I built Ted a super duper shelter made of styrofoam, lined with mylar and stuffed with straw and put it under the porch. Then I put bales of straw all around the porch to cut the wind and make it warmer under there and I made another little cozy corner where Ted can eat without being bothered by the wind. :rolleyes: At least I know he'll be warm and fed for the winter, even if I can't convince DH to let me have him inside.

redhed
November 5th, 2006, 02:01 PM
Hello V...First I want to thank you for your kind reply in another thread to my concern about my still lost cat. I must admit I haven't read another thread in regard to Ted but do you think he was a housecat in the past and has been out for a long time....just beginning to remember what it's like to have a human's affection. It sounds like you have gone to a great extent to make sure he is comfortable for the winter outdoors. I am assuming that DH stands for Dear Husband? LOL. Being as you are an animal person it will definitely be difficult not to bring him in. Especially if you are expecting yourself your maternal instinct will be high.......If this is your first baby it probably won't take too much convincing if you really want Ted in. Men are more likely to give in to our whims I think when we are carrying their babies??? It's been awhile ( my youngest turns 21 today ) but I seem to remember getting extra concessions while expecting LOL. Does your DH have anything to do with the care and feeding of your existing pets? Perhaps he could be asked to feed Ted when you find it difficult to bend down.....and maybe Ted will turn on his charm and..... who knows?:fingerscr Keep us posted. Hope you are feeling well in your middle trimester........redhed:cat:

vfrohloff
November 6th, 2006, 11:22 AM
I am assuming that DH stands for Dear Husband? LOL Yeah, most days. Other days it stands for Darned Stubborn Husband :rolleyes:

Ted is a wild cat, I am certain he's never been in contact with humans before me. We live out in farm land where most folks don't have cats in the house, they are all wild barn cats who are unfixed and allowed to breed rampantly, grrrr. Ted started hanging around our house when one of the barns next door had to be torn down so I'm sure that's where he came from. He was awfully skinny and I'm proud to say that he's now bordering on fat. It took me a long time to get him to the point where he would even eat his food if I was within 10 feet of him. DH has very little to do with the care of the cats, although he's quite good with the dogs. Ted is absolutely terrified of him, and DH doesn't have the patience or motivation to try and tame him. DH is also worried about the money issue (as am I). We currently have 2 dogs, 4 cats (not including Ted), and a horse. Taking in another one is just one more expense, and we have had some very hefty vet bills this year so far. Charlene the cat cost us over $500 last November, Benson the cat was over $300 in May, Benny the dog cost us $780 in July for his pancreatitis and bloat, and I just had to have Tobey the cat put to sleep for another $130 (it was late at night so I called the emergency vet and had to pay extra). So, I agree that is has been an awfully expensive year, and this doesn't include what I spend every month in food, kitty litter, worming and flea treatments, shots every year, and board for my horse. I know that DH is right when he says that we need to not get more pets right now. I just have a hard time drawing the line, I tend to think with my heart and not my head. I guess I'll just have to be content with the fact that I am doing the best that I can for Ted at the moment. He's got a better life than he would have if I wasn't feeding and sheltering him.

Thanks for the good wishes redhed!