Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Need help with Stray kitty

Mahealani770
November 4th, 2006, 09:56 AM
Ok guys, my partner and I were just at a gas station and what do I see? A very young, female, gray tabby kitty that was COVERED in motor oil and playing with a leaf, underneath a dirty car. I couldn't just leave her there. So, I picked her up and we brought her home. I am now COVERED in motor oil and so is the wife. So, I gave her some of Nicky's wet food and some water and she drank a bunch and ate a little. After a bath (Our white tub is literally black now) she is running around happily. Nicky is penned off in the kitchen but when the kitten gets close to him, her hair flies up on her back and she backs away slowly. We are thinking of keeping her and the wife has named her "lucky". So, since this is a spur of the moment thing, what is the best cat litter and food out there? It's been a LONG time since I've had a cat. We need to go get a cat box, litter and food ASAP before she has to go potty. So, I need help ASAP, please.
Thanks
~M~

vfrohloff
November 4th, 2006, 10:27 AM
Congrats on your new kitty, and kudos to you for taking in a stray. We need more people like you in the world.:thumbs up I feed all of my cats Felidae dry and Innova Evo canned. I find they do really well on it. It is more expensive than grocery store stuff, but much better for them and since it has better quality ingredients they need to eat much less of it so it actually works out cheaper. Do you have a local pet food store in your area? If you can't find Felidae, then see if you can get Wellness, Innova, or Holistic Blend. As for kitty litter, I find that unscented works best. I prefer the kind that doesn't clump but my guys won't use it so I use the clumping kind. Probably a good idea to get 2 litter boxes, the general rule is 1 box per cat plus one. Some cats don't like to pee and poop in the same box, and it is especially important to have 2 boxes if she has never been litter trained before. For litter training I suggest putting her and the boxes in one room for a while. You can physically put her in the box so she gets the feel of the litter, that's all most cats need for training. If she does have an accident, don't scold her but put her immediately in the litter box so she gets the idea. Good luck and keep us posted!

jiorji
November 4th, 2006, 10:31 AM
awwwww a kitten :cloud9:
i use flushable kitty litter because it's easier to dispose of. It's clumping. And i will stay tight lipped about the food. I go by what the vet told me to use, and people on here may not agree, but if your vet works today why not give them a call? they'll be happy to give you some cat food.

that kitten sure is lucky that you found him :cloud9: pictures please :D

vfrohloff
November 4th, 2006, 10:43 AM
No offense to jiorji but I wouldn't feed my cats food from the vet. It's about as good as what's in the grocery store, and way more expensive. It's like feeding your kids Kraft Dinner and a multi vitamin every day, KWIM? Sorry jiorji, don't be mad ;)

Mahealani770
November 4th, 2006, 03:52 PM
Ok, so I've been keeping the kitty and my dog, Nicky, apart all day because I don't know if the kitty has any diseases or mites or anything and I don't want Nicky to catch anything. Is it possible for the kitty to infect Nicky with something? We can't take her to the vet for another week, so should I be keeping them apart? Also, is there something we can get OTC to deworm her or to kind of clean her up on a medical level until we can get her to the vet? I don't know if she has worms, or even how to tell, but Im assuming she does since she's been on the streets. Thanks!
~M~

chico2
November 4th, 2006, 04:24 PM
Thank's for taking care of this little life:thumbs up
I would not give her any storebought dewormer,wait until you can get her to the vet.
Usually if kittens have big tummies it means they have worms.
When my Vinnie was found,the vet gave him worm-meds and his first shots right away,even though we never noticed any worms.
I did not mix Vinnie with my 2 other cats until I knew for sure he was healthy and luckily he was.
As for litter,I have tried many different kinds,but with a small kitten,you should not use clumping litter,wait until she gets older.Like was said,she might not be littertrained,but a kitten learns really quick to use the box,you just have to put her there a few times.
I too am not found of the vet-food and don't use it,my cats also won't eat it.
Nowadays there are great foods out there,no need to feed lower grade foods.
Hopefully the kitten is healthy and has no problems because of all that motor-oil she might have ingested:fingerscr :fingerscr Good Luck!!

MyBirdIsEvil
November 4th, 2006, 04:31 PM
I think food from the vet is a BAD idea.
One of my cats has to be on Science Diet for a UTI because I haven't been able to get a hold of the only hollsitic UTI food yet, and it's over 40 dollars for a 20 lb bag which is about 20% non-digestible filler, whereas good hollistic food is about the same price for a 33 lb bag that has little or no filler in it.
As for food, Dick van Patten's Natural Balance was the best I fed my kitties so far, and one of the easiest to find. All of the foods vfrohloff recommended have good ingredients though I haven't tried them. Chicken Soup brand is what my oldest cat got a UTI on, he was fine until he started eating that, and their condition wasn't very good on it anyway, so I wouldn't recommend it. If it's all you can find though it's better than all of the grocery story stuff.
Really for a kitten your better off feeding canned than hard, or leaving hard food out and feeding canned at set feeding times.
We can't take her to the vet for another week, so should I be keeping them apart?
I personally would. By then you should know if she shows any signs of infection. She does most likely have worms and fleas considering the climate where you live. Don't give storebought dewormer, it's often not effective and it's harder on the cat physically than the stuff the vet has, which usually has little or no side effects.

vfrohloff
November 5th, 2006, 07:19 AM
Yeah, it's a good idea to keep them apart until she's been checked out by a vet. Also, make sure your dog doesn't have access to the kitty litter, most dogs like to eat kitty lumps and your dog could catch something. Better to be safe than sorry. I agree that canned food is probably best for your kitty, but I would also supplement with free fed dry food. If you don't introduce your new cat to dry food now she may never eat it. I didn't have good luck with the Chicken Soup food either, my cats' coats were really dull and their breath got bad.

Prin
November 5th, 2006, 11:44 AM
Congrats on the kitty!! :highfive: You're an angel for taking her in without even thinking.:) :cloud9:

From a strictly "in theory" perspective (I don't have any cats but I dissected the cat foods for a bit just to see what is out there) Felidae is the best... But DVP Natural Balance is a close second. Most of the rest have menadione in them still, even though many of the companies have removed it from their dog foods...:rolleyes:

Since she was on the streets, it's likely she's not spayed or vaccinated either... I agree with not letting the kitty come into contact with the doggy for a bit (at least till the vet gives you the all-clear).

Good luck!

Skryker
November 5th, 2006, 12:57 PM
Bless you for taking "Lucky" in! :angel: I'd definitely keep them seperate for now-while my vet told me there aren't any feline specific diseases that a dog can get, fleas, ticks and worms are another story.

Congrats on your new furbaby!

Mahealani770
November 5th, 2006, 03:27 PM
Thank you so much for all the help, well-wishes and advice everybody! Here's the story:
First, we changed her name to "Minnie", it fits her better. She is the sweetest little girl, but she's not a kitten like I may have made her sound. She's young, but I'm thinking she's a few months old. Or, she may be older but looks like a younger kitten to me, becaue she's so skinny. I think she's about 4-5 months old. She's already litter trained and she had an old, dirty flea collar on her neck that was getting too tight.
I saw her, and decided that if she comes to me, I'm grabbing her. I couldn't leave her at the gas station, as I could tell she was young. So, I could see that she was dirty, but I had no idea just how dirty she was. I could also smell motor oil or gasoline, or something on her. I was wearing white, but I didn't care. She came to me and seemed rather tame. So, I wasn't planning on keeping her. I thought I'd bring her home, find a nice shelter for her, and she'd be adopted into a loving forever home. I called 3 animal hospitals. The first doc told me that if worst came to worst, to call him back and he'd meet me somewhere and take her in. So, I called the next animal hospital. They were overwhelmed with stray cats and wouldn't take her, but the girl told me that if the kitty is covered in motor oil, that she needs to be put down because it has probably sunk into her skin and she's probably in alot of pain. She said that they'd put her down for me for free :eek: I was like..wtf? But then she said that no matter who I call, every shelter is just going to put her down because she's "just going to die anyway". Well, I wasn't having that. So, I called the first doc back and told him what I was told. He was appauled and I explained to him that she wasn't COVERED in motor oil, but that I could smell it on her and she's a very dark shade of gray because she's so filthy. So, he told me to feed her a piece of burnt toast to test for lead poisoning or some kind of toxicity. I still don't know what that was for. Anyway, he said he'd meet us somewhere later in the day and take her. Well he has never called back and we've fallen in love with her, so the rest is history :)
Minnie is adjusting nicely and it's only day two. She gets closer and closer to Nicky without arching her back and getting defensive, but only while being well-supervised. I don't allow her to come into the bedroom, where Nicky stays the most and she cries at night since we have to keep her out of the bedroom, so that's the hardest part. It breaks our heart to keep her segregated but we don't want fleas, mites or anything else to get on us or Nicky, so we can't wait to get her to the vet. I want to cuddle her so bad but I'm afraid she has fleas! lol I also make sure to pet and feed Nicky first to make sure he knows he's the leader of their little pack..lol I've been trying to remember everything I've learned here in the past two days.
Anyway, we went out and bought her some Felidae dry food and some Canidae wet kitty food. I just don't know how much to feed her? I've been feeding her like crazy just to get some meat on her bones, but I don't know if I'm doing the right thing. I've never rescued a stray, skinny, kitty before:shrug: We got her some great kitty litter and she's using the litter box like crazy too. Then we got her a name tag, pretty collar, a big cat tree house for her to climb on and sit on in front of the window. We're just kind of winging it here! lol Anyway, here she is, 3 shades lighter!

jesse's mommy
November 5th, 2006, 03:37 PM
Awww, she's so pretty. Congrats and it sounds like you are doing wonderful! :grouphug:

TeriM
November 5th, 2006, 03:40 PM
Gotta say the best cat litter ever is Scoopable Feline Fresh Clumping Pine Litter. It clumps (Yeah!) and I flush it all the time, no problems. Smells good and is all natural so doesn't have the health risks that some of the clumping litters have from the silica dust.

Prin
November 5th, 2006, 04:02 PM
I agree with Jesse's mommy. She sounds like she's in wonderful hands. Too bad she's not a male though.. Because then you could use "Two moms, a pom and a tom" in your signature. :D

MyBirdIsEvil
November 5th, 2006, 04:06 PM
She is the sweetest little girl, but she's not a kitten like I may have made her sound. She's young, but I'm thinking she's a few months old. Or, she may be older but looks like a younger kitten to me, becaue she's so skinny. I think she's about 4-5 months old

I think when most of us cat people say kitten we mean 1 yr or younger. 4-5 months is definately still a kitten, and she should be ok eating as much as she wants especially since she's skinny.

From the pics she looks about 3-4 months old, but even adult cats can be really small if malnourished, or some are just small in the first place. Only way you can tell is from the teeth, if you want to get that close, lol.

:mad: I can't believe one of the vets told you she'd die and any other vet would just put her down. Usually when cats (or any animal for that matter) get oil on them the proper thing to do is wash them off really good, and as long as her face wasn't completely covered in it there shouldn't be any ill effects.

chico2
November 5th, 2006, 04:18 PM
Awww Mahealani you are doing great,soooo glad you decided to keep her:thumbs up
She looks like a sweet little thing,if you have a finetoothed comb,you can easily find out if she has fleas or not,if you are dying to cuddle her,which I am sure you are.:D
Also put the comb through her hair,put the hair from the comb on a piece of papertowel,fold it and wet it pressing it a bit,if there is small spots of blood,it means she has fleapoop and fleas
I would feed her small amounts probably 4 times a day,of course depending on her age,the vet will be able to tell how old she is.Also make sure she has a bowl of fresh water at all times.
Some females are very tiny,even as grownups,so she could be older than you think.
For canned food,my 3 fullgrown cats split one small can twice a day and freefeed on dry.
I don;t understand why the shelter said she would die,she was not completely soaked in oil,right?
I would be more concerned with fumes in her lungs,but hopefully she's a strong healthy little girl..she's certainly on :cloud9: right now.

Mahealani770
November 5th, 2006, 04:20 PM
I know, I was horrified when the girl told me that "she'd just die anyway". I guess she thought that the kitty was drenched in oil or something, I don't know. I tried to tell her that the kitty was lovely, calm, playful and not in any pain at all! So anyway, that was that.

Chico- Awe, thanks! My next cat will definitely be black:thumbs up Maybe I could rescue a black cat! I hope one comes along...

Prin - hahaha..good one! I've been trying to come up with a new signature to add Minnie to it. Get out of my head, Prin!!

Teri, Jesse's Mommy, Mybird - Thanks for the advice and support, I appreciate it! I'll look for that pine clumping litter. I think we got some Arm and Hammer, clumping, non scented, absorbing something or other. We went broke today with buying all this cat stuff today, but I don't care, I'll bounce a check or two for a stray baby that needs a home :rolleyes:

So, any suggestions on how to handle her crying at night at our bedroom door? It kills us, and the wife has been sleeping out in the living room with her but that's going to get old.

Here's a few more pics, but I have to say, the one pic of my wife scratching Minnie's chest makes her look like she's got buckteeth! lmao..she told me not to post it, but I have to. Believe me, I know it looks that way, but my wife really doesn't have buckteeth..lol Check out Minnie arching herself all the way back in her arms though! It's so cute.

Anyway, here's a few more pics!

Prin
November 5th, 2006, 04:27 PM
heehee buckteeth! :D Just kidding. Tell her we didn't notice.:D

How about something like... Two HOT goldenagers, a mini golden and a golden Minnie...:D :shrug: It's Frenchy's fault.. Goldens on the brain.:o It's gonna be hard to come up with something...

Mahealani770
November 5th, 2006, 04:36 PM
GOLDENAGERS??? LMAO Come Prin, I only turned 30 yesterday, not 80! I'm already depressed about the gray hair I'm finding and the fact that I'm going bald! I was in the shower today and I sware, half my head of hair went down the drain! I just don't get it. :frustrated:

Prin
November 5th, 2006, 04:37 PM
Sorry, I just had to put golden in there somewhere or it wouldn't work.:D

Was your birthday really yesterday? :o

Sorry- :offtopic:

Prin
November 5th, 2006, 04:42 PM
Ok, ok, I have it:

Two moms, a pom and a kitty.

:shrug: :o

Mahealani770
November 5th, 2006, 04:47 PM
lol..good one, Prin. Simple. Elegant. To the point. :thumbs up

P.S. The wife just gave Minnie her second, de-motoroil bath..and lets just say that she's got a NICE scratch from her shoulder, down to the sternum area...lol...I'm glad she's the "furbaby bather"...I knew she'd be good for something :evil:

The poor wife and Nicky were both covered in poop when they got back from their walk, so Nicky had to get in the tub too :eek: Apparently he has a little diarhea from the wet food I've been giving him, so I'll be backing off of that for awhile. Anyway, the "kids" are fed, bathed, and ready to be tucked in for the night. And yes, my birthday really was yesterday. Did it say it at the bottom of this board on the first page? I forgot to sign on and look.:shrug:

Prin
November 5th, 2006, 04:48 PM
Yeah, I was wondering how you got a kitty you barely know in the tub without getting maimed..:D

Mahealani770
November 5th, 2006, 04:55 PM
Prin, look at my last post, I edited it. Awwww...I forgot to look for my name under "todays birthdays" yesterday! :(

Prin
November 5th, 2006, 05:00 PM
It wasn't there. You didn't put your birthday in your profile...

Poor wifey... She needs some extra chocolate or something tonight.;)

Mahealani770
November 5th, 2006, 05:09 PM
Dammit! For some reason I thought my birthday was listed somewhere. Oh well, maybe next year :frustrated: I'm going to go post some new pics of Nicky in the pet photog thread. See ya there! lol

MyBirdIsEvil
November 5th, 2006, 05:12 PM
So, any suggestions on how to handle her crying at night at our bedroom door? It kills us, and the wife has been sleeping out in the living room with her but that's going to get old.

Shut the door, turn on the fan, tv, radio, whatever will drown out the noise, get ear plugs, etc., lol.
Just whatever you do, don't let her in for meowing, then it will NEVER stop. She will meow at all doors wanting in or out.

My kitty jack is a huge meower and I let him in when he meows at the bedroom door in the morning, but never at night, so he doesn't often do it then. When the lights go out he knows he's not getting in.

From the last pic you posted she looks like an adult, hard to tell. The clumping litter you bought should be fine for now.
Honestly all I've ever used with all my cats is clay litter and I've never had any problems :shrug: . I think as long as she doesn't get it stuck to her fur often it's not a problem. She's not long furred though, and that's the only cats I've had problems with litter getting stuck to them.

rainbow
November 5th, 2006, 09:55 PM
Okay...so I finally found your new kitty thread. :D I was obviously wrong in my other post. :o

Kudos to you for rescuing this poor little girl. :highfive:

I liked Prin's suggestion of "two moms, a pom and a tom" but since she is sooo pretty now that she's had a couple of baths, how about "two moms, a pom and a bombshell"? :D

TeriM
November 5th, 2006, 10:39 PM
The squirt bottle works well as a meow deterrant.

jiorji
November 6th, 2006, 12:15 AM
heheh you can tell new kitty LOVES your gf :cloud9:

LM1313
November 6th, 2006, 12:55 AM
Awww, what a sweetie! Thank you for saving this beautiful girl! :)

Is there a Costco near you? I feed my kitties their brand, Kirkland. It has high quality ingredients--probably not as good as the VERY top of the line brands, but the main ingredients are meat, which makes it a lot better than the vet and grocery store brands--and it's dramatically cheaper than most pet foods. YAY FOR BUYING IN BULK! Also, my kitties love it. :)

I use Nature's Miracle brand pine litter, but am constantly trying out new brands in an attempt to find a brand that's just as good, but cheaper. I can't believe how much litter I go through! Anyway, it has a nice pine smell and it' flushable.

Prin
November 6th, 2006, 12:58 AM
It's ok, LM, she already bought Felidae.;) Felidae's great.:)

Skryker
November 6th, 2006, 05:14 AM
I agree. My Dancer is on Felidae now and doing wonderfully. Plus the 5 pound bag is only about 2/3 gone, and I bought it almost 2 months ago. :thumbs up

Once you get some meat on her bones, you may have to strictly control Minnie's food for awhile. Dancer was a stray, too, and she got fat at first :o . She always acted like she was starving, and my roomate at the time kept feeding her if the bowl was empty. :D She was quite the con-artist. I had to get a small container and measure out a day's worth of food in the morning. That way, we both knew how much food she'd already had that day. Sigh. Why can I manage portion control and great nutrition for my animals, but can't lose weight myself? Guess I need high quality people-kibble!:D

Mahealani770
November 6th, 2006, 06:49 AM
Originally Posted by: Rainbow
I liked Prin's suggestion of "two moms, a pom and a tom" but since she is sooo pretty now that she's had a couple of baths, how about "two moms, a pom and a bombshell"?

HAHAHA! Good one, rainbow! Too cute...

Originally Posted by: Skryker
Once you get some meat on her bones, you may have to strictly control Minnie's food for awhile.

I was wondering how long I should be lavishing the food on her. I imagine getting her on a strict feeding schedule after she's healthy, is going to be difficult, but that's ok, she's worth it:cloud9:

Originally Posted by: MyBirdIsEvil
Shut the door, turn on the fan, tv, radio, whatever will drown out the noise, get ear plugs, etc., lol.
Just whatever you do, don't let her in for meowing, then it will NEVER stop. She will meow at all doors wanting in or out.

Well, we had a great night lastnight. We cuddled Minnie for awhile in the living room, then we went to bed. We shut the door and put the fan on high and I never heard her one time. But, you know when there's something new in your life that you may be a little stressed about and you might end up having crazy dreams? Well, I was worried about the kitty being all alone in the living room so I had some pretty crazy animal dreams lastnight..wow.
Anyway, AS SOON as the wife opened the bedroom door, there was Minnie, meowing her little heart out. God knows how long she had been out there meowing but we never heard her. Her food bowl was empty so I guess that's what her problem was. So, I gave her a can of wet food for the day, on top of her dry kibble so she should be good until I get home at lunch time to check on the "kids". Let's hope we continue to have "quiet" nights until we can get her to the vet.
Minnie and Nicky are getting closer and closer to eachother and they also watch eachother from a distance. It looks like they're having stare-down contests..lol It's going a lot smoother than I thought it would, but keeping Minnie out of the kitchen and away from Nicky's food and den, is a challenge. She WILL jump a babygate, as we found out this weekend:rolleyes:

Thanks for the support and comments guys, I appreciate it!

vfrohloff
November 6th, 2006, 10:40 AM
Awww, she's such a cutie! Glad to hear things are going well. Judging from her pic I'd say she's probably in the 3-5 month range, although if she was the runt of her litter she could be older and just not look it. I have a 2 year old who still looks like a kitten, lucky girl she gets away with a lot because she's so darned cute! As for the meowing at the door, she might be doing it because she misses you. I would try not reacting to it at all for several days, meaning don't talk to her, open the door, or do anything to let her know that her meows are getting a reaction from you. It's better to let her know now that she's not allowed to do that, otherwise it will be more difficult to change that behavior later on.

Prin
November 6th, 2006, 01:49 PM
Anymore updates?

This link might help you out:
http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=32451
;)

Mahealani770
November 6th, 2006, 02:30 PM
Awwwwwwwww....how did you do that Prin?? lol You sneaky lil Canadian, you! You are very sweet to do that for me, I appreciate it Prin, thank you.

Thank you so much everyone, you all are soooo sweet:cloud9: I can't believe all of you were wishing me happy birthday lastnight and I had no idea..lol

Wow! And I got a happy birthday in French too! Wooo Hoo! I feel so special!:D

Well, Mahalo (Thank You in Hawaiian), You guys are the best!! :crazy:

~M~, Nicky and Minnie:cat: :pawprint: :grouphug:

P.S. You guys brought tears to my eyes, that was so sweet, thank you.:party:

jawert1
November 6th, 2006, 03:22 PM
A day late and a dollar short, but happy birthday Mahealani! BTW, GREAT that you took in Minnie and I just love the pics of Nicky in the photo thread - I remember when you first posted here looking for help with him. You've all come a long way baby! :party:

chico2
November 6th, 2006, 03:55 PM
I'll post here seeing I am very late,but stillhttp://bestsmileys.com/ballons/3.gif:party:
Little Minnie was meant as a birthday-present!

Mahealani770
November 7th, 2006, 06:19 AM
Awe, thanks Jawert and Chico! I really appreciate that!
~M~

Prin
November 7th, 2006, 12:45 PM
So.. uh... any updates? :shrug: :)

Mahealani770
November 7th, 2006, 12:54 PM
Any updates..not really! It's been 3 nights and nothing has really changed. I'm feeling more connected to Minnie every day. She is sooooo sweet. What a precious baby. She lets us pick her up without a fight and basically lets us do anything we want! lol She's so soft and purs her little heart out when you hold her or sit next to her. When we get in from work, she's always sitting in the same spot on the couch. She has yet to go play on the big, expensive kitty tree that I bought her:frustrated: , but maybe in time. She plays with the catnip mouse I got her and I caught her trying to play with Nicky this morning..lol He's afraid of everything and definitely not sure what to think of Minnie, so it's a little nerve-racking when she crouches down and pounces at him or bats at him with her paw. I'm just not real sure how he's going to react if she REALLY scares him one day or if she actually comes in contact with him. I just pet him and try to tell him that she just wants to play with him. Nicky doesn't know how to play, so maybe she can teach him!
Yesterday morning they actually got close to eachother and touched noses! I felt like it was a real breakthrough. I'm still keeping them separated at night time and while we're at work until she gets to the vet on Friday morning. Thanks for asking Prin! I'll keep everyone updated. :pawprint: :D

chico2
November 7th, 2006, 03:49 PM
Thank's for the update,you seem to be doing all the right things:love:
I am certain with time,Minnie and Nicky will be friends.
:fingerscr :fingerscr everything will be ok,at the vets:cat:
Eventually you'll probably have Minnie in bed with you,we have 3 cats with us,in a King size bed:cat: :dog:

Mahealani770
November 8th, 2006, 09:47 AM
Chico, my partner can't WAIT to get the cat in bed with us, but I'm noticing some aggression coming from Nicky, towards the kitty. I'm not sure that her being in the room at night with us is going to be a good idea, since Nicky sleeps in our room with us, in his own bed. I can just see her jumping down and trying to play in the middle of the night, scaring the crap out of him.

She tried to touch noses with him twice yesterday and he growled both times. She also thinks his big, fluffy tail is a play thing and has attempted to bat her little paws at it. This is a HUGE no-no. I'm afraid that Nicky will REALLY snap one day. She scares the crap out of him when she crouches down and then jumps at him. She just wants to play but Nicky doesn't understand. When Nicky has to pass by the cat, he goes the long way around and won't make eye contact with her. I don't know if he's afraid of her or hates her, or what? It's very tense for us when the cat gets near Nicky. We can just see him preparing to attack or growl. He has yet to show teeth or mouth or go after her, but I don't want it to get to that point either. Any suggestions on how I can help Nicky to accept her? Or to get him to understand that all she wants to do is play? Do I let Nicky growl at her to show her boundaries or should we correct him when he growls? We've been saying "No!" when he does that. I just want a harmonious home and I kind of feel bad for Nicky because his territory has been invaded, but I also feel bad for Minnie because Nicky is so mean to her. *Sigh* Help!:pray:

Mahealani770
November 8th, 2006, 01:57 PM
Excuse the :::bump::: but I need suggestions :D

chico2
November 8th, 2006, 02:01 PM
Bump away:D
I've not introduced a cat to a dog for a long time,so I have no suggestion,but I am sure someone else does!

Prin
November 8th, 2006, 02:16 PM
I haven't introduced a dog and a cat either... But from a doggy point of view, I'd correct any snapping and growling, regardless of the cause.:shrug: :o

Mahealani770
November 8th, 2006, 02:23 PM
Ok! I will bump and correct away! lol

MyBirdIsEvil
November 8th, 2006, 02:59 PM
I would correct for growling, but he's not doing anything wrong by ignoring her or trying to avoid her.
You need to teach the kitten to ignore the dog too. The dog isn't a plaything, so every time the cat tries to play with the dog she needs to be picked up and moved to a different location. After you move her use a piece of string, or anything really that she's interested in and play with her. Get some toys that she might like and start teaching her that those are what she's supposed to play with.
Have you ever seen kittens interact with mama cats? After a certain age, when they start batting at their moms and annoying her she bites them on the neck and corrects them, or she'll growl. Just because they're cats not dogs doesn't mean they shouldn't learn boundries.
You could also use a spray bottle and use it every time she tries to bat at the dog, but it shouldn't be necessary.

Mahealani770
November 9th, 2006, 06:21 AM
Ok! Thanks MyBird, I appreciate that!