Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Skunked

angie79
November 4th, 2006, 10:25 AM
:frustrated:

So the last 2 monthes we've smelled the ever so sweet aroma of skunk around, one time my BF said he saw it in our yard and was able to get the dog in before it sprayed.

then we've seen some "sleeping" on the side of the road. in 2 1/2 years we see them now where are they coming from.

Any how last night my poor cooper got sprayed, he came running through the house ran upstires in to the bed and rolled. off to metro i went to get tomato juice. blankets i think need to be tossed....

So now cooper smells tomaoty skunky sweet...

I really want to get the skunk back in to the wild and out of my yard any suggestions do moth balls work?

brandynva
November 4th, 2006, 04:19 PM
I can't help you get rid of the skunk himself, but may be able to provide a little insight.

I had a dog get sprayed and she reeked! I went on the internet and did a little research and everything I read said not to use tomato juice. Here is the recipe I found and it worked wonders!

1 quart (or liter) of 3% Hydrogen Peroxide, H2O2.
Use fresh (unopened) hydrogen peroxide (H2O2). Hydrogen peroxide eventually turns into water (H2O).
1/4 cup (50 ml.) of Baking Soda
1 teaspoon (5 ml.) of Liquid Soap
1 pair of plastic or latex gloves

To Use
Bathe the dog outside or, if it's too dark or cold, in the bathroom with the door closed and window opened.
Combine the ingredients in an open container (do not store in a sealed bottle--it will explode).
Using gloves, wash your dog with lukewarm water and the mixture while the mixture is bubbling. Work the mixture well into the fur.
Be sure to concentrate on the area that was sprayed.
Keep mixture away from your dog's face and eyes (it's a harsh solution). (If your dog has been sprayed in the face, try Tricotine Liquid Douche Concentrate or any over-the-counter douche.)
Let the mixture stand for 10 minutes or so before rinsing off.
Rinse the dog with lukewarm tap water. Don't wash the mixture into your dog's eyes (use a washcloth to cover the eyes if you're rinsing the head).
After bathing, check your dog's eyes. If they are red and watering, your dog may have taken a direct hit in the face. Skunk spray won't blind the dog, but it's very painful. Contact a vet.

How it works
First a quote from Dr. Caceci of Texas A&M University:

Forget what you have heard about tomato juice--it doesn't work. Skunk spray is mainly composed of low molecular weight thiol compounds. ("Thiols" are compounds with the "-SH radical" attached to a carbon atom.) In industrial applications, alkaline hydrogen peroxide (H2O2) is used for scrubbing similar compounds from waste gas streams.
Hydrogen peroxide and baking soda, when combined, become a "chemical engine" for churning out oxygen. That's why it has to be used immediately after mixing. The soap breaks up the oils in the skunk spray, allowing the other ingredients to do their work.

Good Luck!

dogcatharmony
November 4th, 2006, 04:37 PM
this recipe works!!!!!! i had to use it this summer, i had to do her two times though, she had the skunk in her mouth and got the head and neck soaked with spray. But she could sleep in the house the night she was sprayed and very little stink( lots of wet dog smell) the next day i could still slightly smell it on her head, i didn't use it on her face but it was tolerable. good luck!!!

muckypup
November 4th, 2006, 06:57 PM
I have not tried the hydrogen peroxide, baking soda and dish liquid formula but have heard that it works really well. I have seen a dog that was sprayed the night before, the owners used it and you couldn't smell skunk at all, I don't know how bad the dog got sprayed though.
When Bobbie got sprayed (point blank) about a month ago I used "Get the Odour Out - Skunk Formula." I kept a bottle of it just incase. It worked out well, he was sprayed right before bed 11:30 at night. The "Get the Odour Out" is a spray so it was convenient. I was able to spray it on him right away outside. Since it was night and it was cold outside I brought his crate to the door and put a fan on him to dry. I left him in his crate overnight. Once the Odour Out spray dried the smell was under control. It didn't get the smell out totally but it wasn't too bad.
Next time I am going to try the hydrogen peroxide, baking soda and dish liquid formula if possible but I will always keep a bottle of the spray handy.

papillonmama
November 4th, 2006, 07:49 PM
The hydrogen peroxide recipe works awesome! My cat escaped out the window he came back around five am smelling awful, I used the recipe and it worked great. I only had to use it once, and he wasn't just bearable, he was totally fine.

Good luck:thumbs up

Oh skunks like digging around for bugs in gardens, you can try using cayenne pepper, there are recipes for concoctions online, here's one... http://www.wildaboutanimals.net/recipe.htm

PetFriendly
November 4th, 2006, 08:46 PM
There are two things you can do to get rid of the skunk... Keep flood lights on in your yard all night, and cover as much of the yard as possible. Skunks like to eat and live in the dark, so the lights will bother them and they should leave. (motion sensor lights don't work as well as they will figure out how to avoid triggering them).

The second thing they hate is human urine... Glad to hear you have a bf... Men have an easier time sprinkling the bushes than us women! But seriously, you'll need the smell around the entrances to youryard, under your porch, tool shed, etc. It works, trust me!

OntarioGreys
November 5th, 2006, 02:20 AM
I would avoid using moth balls they are poisonous to animals

tarasmom
November 5th, 2006, 03:15 AM
Downey liquid fabric softener also works well to get rid of skunk ( an usually a lot more readily available if a late night spraying occurs.)
My cousin's daughter got sprayed once ( eww can you imagine) and in the creek she went with the downey, and came out smelling perfect.

angie79
November 5th, 2006, 03:19 PM
so my best chance at getting the skunk to leave is when Cooper goes to pee I go with?

I can't over light my yard cause of the neighbours.....

I would worry using the peroxide cause cooper is black.... He still has a little stink in his face but i dont want to get too close to his eyes.

PetFriendly
November 5th, 2006, 04:32 PM
so my best chance at getting the skunk to leave is when Cooper goes to pee I go with?

Basically, yes!

I can't over light my yard cause of the neighbours.....

Do the best you can, even 40 watt lights make a difference

I would worry using the peroxide cause cooper is black.... He still has a little stink in his face but i dont want to get too close to his eyes.

'Skunk off' is well worth the money in my opinion and you don't need to cover the whole dog with it, just the parts that still ahve the smell... I'd get the expensive stuff from the vet's, its worth it in the long run.