Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Update on Sydney

sydsmom
November 3rd, 2006, 10:35 PM
My last post was a few days ago...things went drastically downhill today as Sydney (Maltese) passed away about 7:30 (CST) tonight.

She had been taking antibiotics to treat pancreatitis. Last night I thought she was on the upward swing of things...she was eating treats (not dog food yet) and had some pep in her step. She was so excited that she was going to sleep with mommy last night.

This morning, she got up about 4am to potty and get a drink and came right back to bed, still ok. I got up at 6am to go to work and she was panting heavily and was pretty stiff. I got her up and she couldn't walk...when she finally did walk, it was a drunken stagger for about 5 minutes, but she soon got her feet under her and was acting ok. I took her immediately to the vet and they kept her to give her fluids thru the day. When I went back at 4pm to pick her up, she was not the same puppers that I had taken there this morning. She was drooling and not able to hold her head up or control her extremities. She was like a limp rag. The vet told me her WBC was 56,000, which indicated an infection of some sort. He basically told me he didn't think she's make it thru the night. I brought her home and called another vet (family friend) and he said to bring her in immediately. He went thru several scenarios and basically said he, too, wasn't sure if she'd make it thru the night, but he would do everything he could to make sure she did and that she was comfortable. He did more blood work...this time her WBC was 75,000 and just as he was starting to do some therapy, she had a seizure and passed away. He thinks she had leukemia, especially with her WBC so high.

My point here is not to bring people down with the details of my day, but to bring some added attention to taking extra good care of these little family members. I thought I had done everything right...I took her to the vet EVERY time she acted like she was ailing, but she never once was diagnosed with cancer. No testing was ever done for it...nothing. If your puppers isn't feeling right, DO NOT hesitate to push for more tests, even if her vet doesn't think they are necessary. I have all sorts of what-if's going thru my head right now. What if I would have simply asked about cancer weeks ago? What if I would have taken her to a different vet for a second opinion earlier this week when she was diagnosed with acute pancreatitis. I could go on and on. You just sort of assume they know what they are talking about.

I just got home for the first time since she passed away. I'm struggling. This whole house is her...her kennel...her toys...her bed...her food dish. I just can't believe my Sydney-girl isn't coming home. Last night she was a happy little girl, excited to sleep with mommy and tonight she's gone. Unbelievable. I don't think I'll ever understand it. She's my baby.

Give your puppers some extra love tonight. And thanks to everyone who read my earlier post. Even if you weren't able to respond, you took the time to read it, and for that I thank you.

Sydsmom (forever....)

Shaykeija
November 3rd, 2006, 10:43 PM
:sorry: for your loss.

hazelrunpack
November 3rd, 2006, 11:24 PM
I'm so sorry to hear about Sydney.

I thought I had done everything right...

Don't beat yourself up about it, sydsmom...you did do everything right! And Sydney knows she was loved. :grouphug:

russte
November 4th, 2006, 12:14 AM
I'm sorry, too.:sorry:

Maya
November 4th, 2006, 12:54 AM
I could go on and on. You just sort of assume they know what they are talking about.

This really strikes a cord with me, very difficult, I think you did everything you knew how at the time. Perhaps better this way than another I tell myself sometimes.

Sydney was extremely lucky to have you. :grouphug:

t.pettet
November 4th, 2006, 10:47 PM
My condolences on the loss of your little Sydney. Don't blame yourself or second-guess past decisions as fate is inevitable and her time had come. She'll be waiting for you on the other side, healthy and free of pain. Take comfort in the fact you did all you could and she knew how loved she was and still is.

Frenchy
November 5th, 2006, 12:03 AM
I thought I had done everything right...I took her to the vet EVERY time she acted like she was ailing, but she never once was diagnosed with cancer. No testing was ever done for it...nothing.

But you did everything right ! How could you have know ! I'm so sorry for your loss, but please don't blame yourself. I lost my Daisy to cancer not long ago. It's not easier to already know that you dog has cancer,believe me. If I may says so,it's even worse.:sad:

chico2
November 5th, 2006, 06:58 AM
Sydsmom,although your post brought me to tears,it also teaches us to be vigilant,ask questions and research any time our loved animals are sick.
You did everything you could for little Sydney.
Most of us trust what the vet says,after all,they are the doctors and our animals cannot tell us what's wrong or where they hurt.
Take care,give yourself time to grieve,you've lost someone you loved very much:sad: :rip: little Sydney

Joey.E.CockersMommy
November 5th, 2006, 08:50 AM
I am really sorry Sydsmom :grouphug: Its obvious you did everything you could and more. :rip: :dog: :angel:

rainbow
November 5th, 2006, 12:20 PM
I am so sorry for your loss of Sydney. :grouphug: :rip: :candle: