Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

chinchilla teeth

taterbug
November 3rd, 2006, 10:08 PM
i have a chinchilla who has been sick for a year and i am looking for holistic or homeopathic remedies for chins?! any ideas anyone?

MyBirdIsEvil
November 3rd, 2006, 10:15 PM
Sick with what?
I'd find a vet that specializes in small animals like chinchillas.
Chinchillas happen to be quite fragile and are sensitive to many foods and seemingly non-toxic things. I personally wouldn't try any home remedies on a chinchilla without consulting a vet.
Also, unless you know why your chinchilla is sick or with what how do you know what to treat him with?

jiorji
November 3rd, 2006, 10:16 PM
why did you put down "teeth" in the topic? is there something wrong with his teeth?is that why he's sick?

why is the chin sick?? we don't prescribe pills here for animals, we're not professionals, secondly, how could one advise on something if we don't know what's going on. You need to give us more information. And having a pet sick for a year :eek: is unacceptable!!!!!! I'm surprised poor thing's still alive. which again makes me wonder, why is he sick and why do you want to try random pills for him instead of just seeing a vet who'll know for sure what to give you. Yes....chinchillas too can go to the vet, just like any animal :thumbs up

taterbug
November 3rd, 2006, 10:30 PM
we do go to the vet, we have to drive over an hour once a week to see the vet that we see, and he is a wonderful vet and hes been a big help. my chins teeth are crooked, he has molars that grow out and up and all sorts of ways and it hurts him to eat, so he cant chew on things to file his teeth down naturally. we go every six weeks to the vet and they put him to sleep and file his teeth for him, unfortunately we cannot pull or cut his teeth out, he eats solid food as well as soft food, medicated food, and whatever else we can get into him. the doctor feels like his teeth are getting better and better with each surgery and hopefully eventually we wont have to have it done at all but we are having a hard time getting weight back on him, his teeth didnt start giving him problems until he was one year old and the vet agrees that he sould not still be alive but that he gets really good care at home. ive spent many sleepless nights up with him and syringe feeding him and crying and pleading with him to eat. eveything that is known to be "normal" about chinchillas? my chin read that book and does the exact opposite.

jiorji
November 3rd, 2006, 10:37 PM
oh geez that's sad....my hamster used to have his teeth cut not filed because his bottom teeth fell out and he couldn't grind them down anymore.
ASk the vet maybe he can cut them instead. It'll take less time maybe.
My hammie would only eat wet food...his pellets in water otherwise he couldn't chew. Maybe your chin is having a hard time with the hard food, maybe chewing is making him hurt :(

I think the best way is to cut down the teeth as small as possible. Anddo that for the rest of his life(had to do that with my hammie). I don't know of any painkillers for animals.

Maya
November 5th, 2006, 03:32 PM
I Just wanted to say good luck with your chin, I looked around and couldn't find much about homeopathy for rodents. There was a bit here, but of course you'd want to be so careful what you gave him. If you do find a remedy be sure there are no other ingredients/preservatives that could be harmful.
http://www.holisticvetpetcare.com/rodents_1.htm

You probably already know all this since you have a chinchilla but I thought I'd post the wicki link anyway because I found it so interesting. What a sweet little creature. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chinchilla

MyBirdIsEvil
November 5th, 2006, 04:12 PM
Absolutely do NOT apply the feeding instructions on that website to chinchillas (sorry Maya :o )
Chins have EXTREMELY sensitive digestive systems and any change in diet can cause them stress, infections, bloat, or even death. It's best to feed your chin as unvaried diet as possible. I know this conflicts with what you might hear about other animals, but chinchillas aren't the same - in the wild they have a very specific sparse diet and it's taken a long time to find a captive diet they can live well on.

Chinchilla nutrition (http://www.chinchillas2home.co.uk/nutrition.htm)

Taterbug - I'll try to find some info about chinchilla tooth problems online. If I can't ,I know someone that breeds them and she's very experienced, so I'll try asking her next time I see her.

MyBirdIsEvil
November 5th, 2006, 04:23 PM
Try looking through this site:

http://www.chincare.com/

This part is specifically on dental health (http://www.chincare.com/HealthLifestyle/NutritionDental.htm#dentalhealth)

This part is specifically on malocclusion of molars (http://www.chincare.com/HealthLifestyle/NutritionDental.htm#malocclusion)

I know you said you've read a lot, but that site seems to be pretty extensive and had tons of info on tooth problems, which is apparently pretty common in chinchillas. There's also several articles on nutrition and feeding sick chinchillas.

Maya
November 5th, 2006, 06:05 PM
No problem MyBirdIsEvil, I just posted the first site because it was all I could find on homoeopathy for rodents (not for the feeding instructions) and then was thinking hmm I hope they exercise caution with all that info since I don't know much about chinchillas. It is amazing how much poor advice in general is circulated and ends up killing pets.:sad: Is the wikipedia information way off as well or just the first site?

I haven't heard of harm being done with homoeopathics in any animal unless there were chemicals/preservatives in the preparation like Benzalkonium chloride etc. not a 100% on that though.

Of course it's probably best to make sure all the feeding and general care has been looked at before searching for any remedies. It is also a good reminder to remember that "holistic" remedies like tinctures or supplements etc. can be just as strong/toxic as other medications.

Good luck taterbug,

ps i'd love to see a picture.

MyBirdIsEvil
November 5th, 2006, 06:23 PM
Is the wikipedia information way off as well or just the first site?

The feeding part of the wiki entry is correct (I didn't read the rest of page).
I was just referring to the first site, because it deals specifically with guinea pigs and rabbits which have different diet and aren't as sensitive.