Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

new to the site

thomasa
November 3rd, 2006, 05:47 PM
Hi All,
Im new to the site and still trying to figure everything out here.I live in a small city in Washington and we have wild cats everywhere.There is a woman here who somehow gets the wild kittens and then gives them away.We took 2 kittens from here,which were brothers.My siamese was taken by coyotes.I decided to get the one left a new friend.We bought this one from a woman out of out city.She said she was 8 weeks old.We have had her for about a month now and she still won't let us pick her up or even pet her.Can anyone give me some insight on this.
Thanks.

mafiaprincess
November 3rd, 2006, 06:06 PM
You purchased feral cats.... They need to warm up to people, and each one is different. Depending upon how long they were feral, that cat may never want to let you pick it up.

papillonmama
November 3rd, 2006, 06:15 PM
Congratulations on your kitty.

It's tough when you have a wild kitty. Some will never become lovey dovey. There are lots of things that you can do though. Try to make a place for your cat to feel safe in your home, maybe a crate with a blanket over it. I had a kitten that never came to me, not the whole time that we had him. He just kind of lived in our house, we would see him, and he would eat, but he never came to us and purred, or snuggled with us on the bed. You can try finding some special treats at a pet food supply store. My cats really like salmon strips, maybe if you try getting to it's heart with food. But, make sure that the cat knows that You are feeding her, you can try putting some canned food onto your finger, or maybe getting her some catnip. I don't know what else to tell you, just take it slow.

All cats are different, I have two now, i've had them since they were about 8 weeks old, and they are like night and day, one of them won't leave me alone and the other is aloof, only comes to me when he feels like it, or when he sees me giving his brother attention.

Lots of other members here have/have had feral cats, they might be able to give better advice.

Good luck:)