Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

need help with shih tzu

biscuitandcooki
November 3rd, 2006, 04:42 PM
First off let me start by saying when I purchased her as a pup it was my first puppy and i was totally against crating her up, my biggest mistake that i learned, anyway she ruined my new carpet in my house and now she still gives me a hard time and i let her have full access to the house when im home, but i do take her out every 2 hours along with the younger pup who i crate trained and she in the 6 months i owned her has only had maybe 1 accident in the house. The younger one is bell trained so when she needs to go they both go outside but the second i close the door the older one runs right back and stands there barking , i of course ignor her most of the time but then i have to go outside to make sure she uses it or i open the blinds to keep an eye on her. She sleeps in the room with us and i never knew she was using in on the carpet during the night until i saw some wet spots one morning then i tried to crate her and all she did was bark. I could not stand it so i moved her on the other side of the house and she would hold it all night until the morning, I dont know what to do to fix this problem because she is crated while im at work and now at night. I am not sure if maybe she has a bladder problem but i think she does not because she holds it all night in the crate. If someone could please help me out a little or tell me what needs to be done to fix this because i want her to not have to sleep in the crate at night.

Thanks in advance

PetFriendly
November 3rd, 2006, 05:30 PM
Two things come to mind to help you out. Firstly, you're going to have to get the smell out of the carpet and walls. There are special cleaners you can get at the pet store (enzimes), soaps with amonia will only make the problem worse.

The second thing you're going to have to do is slowly increase how much access she has to the rest of the house. The reason she isn't peeing in her crate is because its her 'den' and dogs like to keep their dens clean. If you increase her access too quickly, she won't understand that your whole house is her den. Does that make sense?

biscuitandcooki
November 3rd, 2006, 07:12 PM
yes it makes complete sense, i have used the order removers they sell at the pet stores, but i think there is still smell there, im going to have a carpet cleaning company come by and clean the carpet real good and they told me they have deep pet treatment that im going to get as well. what can i do about having to be outside with her everytime she has to go, the last week or so i have just closed the door kept the blinds shut and i keep an eye from another window and she goes then runs right back to the door then i let her in, i think its helping that she goes and comes right back and gets in.

papillonmama
November 3rd, 2006, 07:23 PM
My little dog has a problem with peeing on carpets, and honestly, sometimes the best thing is just to go out there and make sure that she's actually doing her business. Some dogs will just take a quick pee then relieve themselves in the house, you really have to keep up with her until you are confident that she won't go inside.

And I second what petfriendly has already said about limited access, keep her in the kitchen or some other area where she can still see and hear what is going on in the house, then slowly give her access to more rooms, always while you are watching, if she makes a mistake, just put her back into the safe room and try again later. Maybe you should consider tethering her to you with a leash, just so you can always watch her. I also have to watch my dog all the time, it just takes some time and a lot of patience.

Good luck:thumbs up

BusterBoo
November 3rd, 2006, 09:00 PM
I have two shih tzus....neither one have ever been in a crate. They both have complete run of the house during the day. Harley is 4 yrs old and Buster is 6 months old. They both sleep on my bed and have never peed on my bed. However, Buster will sometimes have an accident on the living room carpet (I also have to have a company come to clean my carpets soon :sad: )

The only thing I can recommend is that you take your puppy out....and give him a command. For Buster I just say "go do pee" and he will go. If he doesn't, he stays outside until I know he has done his business. Even in pouring rain or snow, I will stand outside until he is finished. If your puppy does his potty, then LOTS of praise and treats! Your dog will learn that if he pees outside, you are happy.....and tzus love to please their owners!

It takes tons of patience and lots of time! Tzus are known to be stubborn little things, so you have to keep after your pup!

Good Luck!

biscuitandcooki
November 3rd, 2006, 09:08 PM
thank you for the advice, i will keep at her but its just sometimes i really want to just give up, but my wife always reminds me to be patient with her

Melei'sMom
November 4th, 2006, 12:57 PM
good luck...just remember that shihtzus can be very stubborn and I have found that the best way to deal with it is to just be more stubborn then she is:D