Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Longevity of dogs you've had?

100%doglover
November 3rd, 2006, 03:12 PM
I was wondering how long your dog(s) that passed away lived for? What was the breed or size? I realize a lot of the dogs mentioned will have been recues so the age might be off by a few years, so in that case please take your best guess & also share how long were they a part of your family!

My shepherd is actually my first dog (even though I was surrounded by lots of shepherds growing up), she's 12 1/2 years old now & I've had her since she was 8 weeks old. For the most part she's doing very well for her age, but we've had qutie a few scares recently :sad: She's not feeling that well this week and so of course that makes me nervous.... Hopefully she'll be back to her old self again soon though :fingerscr

Prin
November 3rd, 2006, 03:32 PM
Hmm... ok... A little masochistic maybe, but I'll play...

Tara: dobie, died at 7 years from liver cancer
Sheba: newf, died at 16 (euthanized when she couldn't move without pain...)
Mindy: yellow lab, died at 14 of brain tumor (euthanized after an endless (2 hour) seizure)
Hershey: dobie, died at 13 of wobbler's (gradual degeneration...:()

And that's all the doggies I have had so far...:o

Good luck with your doggy. Twelve isn't old enough.;)

100%doglover
November 3rd, 2006, 03:44 PM
Hmm... ok... A little masochistic maybe, but I'll play...

You're right :sorry: I hope I'm not bringing everyone down....

dogcatharmony
November 3rd, 2006, 03:50 PM
well the only dog i can clearly remember was our cockapoo, Sammy. He lived to be 18 years. And what a life it was. he was hit twice, once by a transport and another time by a car ( he was a runner, always got loose) then he ate chicken bones and had surgery, he had the curly hair in his ears grow inside his head ( this happened a few years after the accident with the transport, the way they had to sew him up) had more surgery. too many incidents to write..........needless to say he died of old age but he was the most wonderful dog to own.:rip: oh i should also mention he saved my sister from a bear also, she was about 4 and we were camping and she was down at the river playing with a bear cub, when momma came out he chased both bears away. oh oh.....got tears now..........what a wonderful dog.

BMDLuver
November 3rd, 2006, 04:41 PM
Finbar: Spaniel Terrier cross, lived to 16... had severe dementia at the end and we pts for my husbands safety as he bit him 3 times not recognizing him.

Selena: TriColor Collie Husky mix. Lived to be 14, had kidney failure as a result of cancer and we pts.

I'll keep your gal in my thoughts... sorry she's not up to snuff this week.

joeysmama
November 3rd, 2006, 05:19 PM
Joey was euthanized at about 7 years old (a rescue but the age was a pretty educated guess, we got him when he was between 2 and 2 and a half most likely.)

He had cancer and we had a date for surgery but he was too ill to operate and kept failing instead of gaining enough strength.

It was one year ago today. :sad: :candle:

Byrd
November 3rd, 2006, 05:34 PM
Sorry, Joeysmomma. :candle:

My Wolf, was 15 when he died 2 1/2 years ago. He was a Siberian Husky and I got him when I was 15, so had him half my life. He was named after Wolf on The Journey of Natty Gann. We think he had a stroke, one day he just could no longer stand and kept walking in circles, couldn't control his bladder or bowels, and I think his vision was off because he would try to drink but be inches beside his bowl. He died quickly and quietly at the vets, in my arms, the last words he heard were me whispering in his ear "you're such a good boy and mommy loves you so much." He wasn't huge though, he was 23 1/2 inches at the withers and 45 lbs most of his life, he went up to 60 at the age of 8 but we got him down again to 50. He was an incredible dog, everyone in the family is always commenting on how there will never be another Wolf. We grew up together, he got me through a lot. I got him from a professional breeder (they race sled dogs and his dad was a champion lead dog), I was third on the list for him, the other two people never came to pick him up, so I got him at nine weeks old, meant to be together I think. :o

Even though it's hard to lose one, I will never be without one.

LM1313
November 3rd, 2006, 05:34 PM
My small breed mix Mandy died at one year . . . We aren't sure what it was, she just had some kind of seizure and died right then and there. :(

My labrador / border collie mix Ebony lived to age fourteen. We euthanized her when she started having seizures. But other than that she was healthy all her life, except for some arthritis when she became elderly. :)

jesse's mommy
November 3rd, 2006, 07:08 PM
My first dog a collie -- Poncho -- was 12 years old when he ran away from being scared on Independence Day. After searching and searching, putting up posters, taking ads out in the paper, calling the humane societies and animal control, we never found him again. :sad: I just hope his end was peaceful. :rip:

My second dog -- Snooper -- was a lab/springer mix. He lived to be 17 years old when we had to put him down. He had tumors all over his body, was losing control of his bowels, was almost blind and partially deaf. He let us know it was time. It's been about four years since and I think about him every day. Letting him go was the hardest thing I've ever had to do. He was my soulmate. :rip:

CyberKitten
November 3rd, 2006, 08:01 PM
I am counting dogs I had growing up a child (if that counts) but they rae part of who I am. Our first Siberiamn Husby was run over by a car in our own driveway!! It was a horrible accident which I saw when I was 3 or 4 - we buried her in the backyard. Gawd, I loved that big wonderful dog. My mother swore to never get another!!!! She was 3 when she died and it was not fair -it was the fault of the driver!!!

Then we adopted a fox terrier who was a wonderful dog - she paryticpated in one show and liked it but we did not want to breed her and had too many ppl askimng questions. She was bred by a well qualified breeder with all the proper certificates and accreditation or shwe would not have made it into the house, lest she was a rescue. She lived to be 18!! I cried when she died.

When I myself became quite ill and required orthopedic surgery, for some reason, the person considered the best breeder of poodles in our prov - who was a friend of my grandmother's opted to give me one of her babies. This was a big deal since she was sooooo picky (as well she should be) about who got her babies and kept up with evreyt one of them. (She did not work ouitside the home and her husband was wealthy so she ciould afford this as a hobby - breeding is not an inexpensive hobby!!) I named him Ryan - Irish et al - he lived to be 17. He had arthritis and cardiac issues and died in bed with me.

My beagle was also a purebed and lived to be 16. He was my first dog as an adult. Since then I have only had rabbits or cats and I am still not over the death of my bunny, sigh!

hazelrunpack
November 3rd, 2006, 08:01 PM
I grew up with a little black mutt named Dena. She died (pts) at the age of 18 1/2 of complications from stroke. I'll bet she didn't weigh more than about 30 pounds.

Our black lab, Luke, lived to 15 1/2 before being pts because of lung cancer. He was active right up to the end. He was also a pretty large, leggy lab--ran about 90 pounds.

Our first setter, Gauge, had a hemangiosarcoma and was pts at the age of 10 1/2. He weighed about 55 pounds.

Our second setter, Evan, had so many genetic health problems that it was a wonder that he lived till age 3. He was put to sleep on his third anniversary with us -- complications from inflammatory bowel disease. He should have weighed about 65, but he could never keep more than about 53 lbs on his skinny frame...

Priscilla, the indomitable 55-lb Springer Spaniel, was the only one of our dogs who was not pts. We had made the appt for her just before her 15th birthday, but that same day she bled to death from some nasal cancer before we got her to the vet. It was very peaceful for her...very traumatic for us, since we weren't expecting it (the vet told us he'd never seen a dog bleed out from the nose). Priscilla had had a very rough life--her first daddy died when she was 5; when we 'inherited' her, she needed both hips replaced (dysplasia) and her back operated on (she'd blown the discs from years of trying to keep her weight off her bad hips). But she came through everything beautifully, and at the age of 11 was chasing 11-wk-old Evan around the yard like she was a 3-year-old.

We just can't picture ourselves without a dog (or dogs...) in the house. All of our past dogs were special...and all of the ones we have now are special... The only part of my memory that works well is the part that holds memories of my dogs...

I hope your gal is feeling better soon, 100%doglover... The Pack and I will be thinking of you! :pray: :fingerscr

Joey.E.CockersMommy
November 3rd, 2006, 08:02 PM
Roger our golden retreiver growing up died when he was 12. He was lying in the neighbours drive way - and they ran him over . I was 11 at the time and I was really sad - I told the neighbour I hated them. In hindsight it was probably our fault for letting him lie in the drive way. :(

Even sadder Jolly who was Rogers brother drowned - at the time my parents had a house in West Van right on the ocean - the dogs were swimming off the dock and Jolly dissapeared and we never found him - I dont think he was that old maybe 6 or so.

My sisters Golden lived to be about 13 then eventually passed on from cancer. But Eddy my other sisters (:angel: ) Golden is still alive, is deaf now but is otherwise doing okay.

I have learned from past mistakes of my parents, what I can do to help prolong there lives. It is always sad when and animals dies. They truley do give us the best time of our lives. :angel:

BusterBoo
November 3rd, 2006, 08:22 PM
What a heart wrenching topic....but

Butch - beagle who ran away....age 2
Blackie -big, beautiful black mutt (lab and something) - gave her to a farm when Dad was posted to Europe
Mitsi - White miniature poodle - pts age 15, she was going blind, deaf and couldn't make it up stairs, her quality of life was diminishing too quickly
Sammy - mixed poodle/spaniel - pts at age 17...just from old age
Meeka - llaso/poo - pts age 1 1/2 yrs old, kidney failure

and I dread the day when my Harley and Buster need my help....

muckypup
November 3rd, 2006, 08:22 PM
When I was 9 yrs old our 14 year old Miniature Poodle was killed right in front of me by a loose GSD that came into our backyard.

My first very own dog was a Tri-colour Shetland Sheepdog, he was sick for one day, took him to the vet and he died there a day or two later from kidney failure. He was only 8 years old.

technodoll
November 3rd, 2006, 08:26 PM
sigh :(

Mokka, doberman pincher - died 1 week before his 9th birthday of cardiac arrest

Java, doberman pincher - pts at 2.5 years, suffering from acute liver failure (irreversable hepatitis)

:rip: my sweet kids...

TMac
November 3rd, 2006, 08:30 PM
I'll be keeping your shepherd in my thoughts...:grouphug:
Take some comfort in the fact that most of the replies have talked about dogs living a long long life. :thumbs up

My lab lived till age 9 and passed from a terrible E Coli infection. We only had 2 years with him as we adopted him from rescue at the ripe ole age of 7. He was otherwise healthier than most dogs his age and breed so the infection was one of those freakish-less-than-1%-chance things like getting hit by lightening probably. He passed on Halloween exactly 2 years ago, so Halloween is no fun for me anymore. :sad:

For what its worth, my two black and white cats I grew up with both passed away at 14 due to mouth cancers (and they weren't even related....that's when I started looking seriously at the pet food on the market).

Dog Mom
November 4th, 2006, 08:22 AM
my first 2 dogs I had as and "adult" (living on my own) have passed
Whiskey - got loose and was hit and killed by a truck right infront of our house she was 9 months
Sterling - had a brain tumor and was pts less then a year after Whiskey passed on he had just turned 3 :sad:
wow i should not have read this thread, I'm sitting here crying and lookin @ old pics of them now:sad:

100%doglover
November 4th, 2006, 09:54 AM
Oh it's so emotional to read this thread.... :rip: What did I start here :sad: They should have a 'crying' icon. I know I'm pregnant, but I think even without the extra hormones I would be crying!

Thanks so much for the positive thoughts for my old lady. It does give me a lot of comfort to see that quite a few of the doggies out there lived a very long life! And at the same time it's heartbreaking to hear of the ones that passed away so early in life. :rip:

dogcatharmony
November 4th, 2006, 03:45 PM
it is a sad thread, but everyone seems to go on and get another pet. I honestly have to say that every pet i have had ( lots of cats, only 2 dogs) has taught me something, patience, unconditional love, respondsiblity, quality of life and i could go on and on. maybe it is true that only the good die young....????

Kristin7
November 6th, 2006, 12:15 PM
My family had a Keeshond when I was a kid (Katrina). She was about 11, I think, when my parents had her put down. I'm actually not sure what the problem was.

I had a mixed breed (maybe Aussie, heeler and/or border collie) dog a few years ago - Sydney. She passed away when she was about 2 yrs old of pancreatitis complicated by chronic kidney disease. Incidently, the cat I had growing up also passed away from kidney disease, although she was 15 yo.

The oldest dog I've known was a cockapoo of my grandparent's. He was 22 or so (over 20) when he died.

Another pet cat of mine (partly mine, he was living w/ an ex-boyfriend at the time) died at the age of about 5, probably from stomach cancer. The vet wasn't sure.

All my other pet dogs/cats are still living, hopefully for many years to come!

~michelle~
November 6th, 2006, 12:30 PM
i had a lhasa apso who had to be put to sleep when she was 6. :( i still have her dog tags on my key chain to this day ( she was pts 9 years ago)

jawert1
November 6th, 2006, 03:32 PM
Shea, my Irish Setter turned nanny, passed at 8 years old of bloat and that was the first time I'd ever seen my father sob his heart out (I was 6)

Lady Rootbeer, my English Springer Spaniel, passed at age 9 of cancer.

Max, the Wonder Puppy, passed this year at age 16

Thankfully, I had all that time to love them, hug them, play with them, hike with them, curl up with them and give as much as I could. It's the only comfort I think any of us can take from the passing of our beloved furries. I'm going home to hug Simon and Peaches

Shaykeija
November 6th, 2006, 03:38 PM
Akeija golden collie mix 15.5 years pts when the paingot too bad
Shayker 14 months renal failure
Dallas 6 years old pts colon cancer
Sophie 5 years old pts heart failure
I miss every one of them every day.

doggy lover
November 6th, 2006, 04:19 PM
I won't count the dogs I had as a kid,. The only dog I have owned myself that has passed was Travis:rip:. He was a Bernese cross German shep., weighed 120lbs was 27 inch at shoulder. He was pts at 9 and a half due to bone cancer, with me rubbing in his ears talking to him the last breath he took held my scent, he passed knowing that I was there for him. My vet told me that most dogs his size lived to 10 and were pts due to some health reason. Its been almost 3 years now and I still miss him sooooooooooo much.

erykah1310
November 6th, 2006, 05:21 PM
My first dog ever was Snoopy, I dont want to talk about him. I had him for a few days and thats it.

Petty was my number 2 dog- she lived for 16 years with my family and I. I have no idea how old she really was, I found her and my dad said if we didnt find her home in a month I could keep her but I had to put signs up and so on.
She was a great dog. We were going to euthanize her when her arthritis had made her quality of life horrible, but she died that morning at home.

Max was Number 3- I had him for 7 years ( I think) he escaped from the garage during a windstorm that had blown the door open. My dad, Guy and I looked all night for him. The OPP went to my dads and said he was hit on the highway. :sad: (Thank goodness he had ID tags, or we could have looked for weeks and never really known)

Sandy- She lived to be 11

Falco- I had him for 3 weeks, Parvo

Keira- I had her for 2 years ( she was 3), head trauma from nasty neighbours and started having seizures, she had her "fits" undercontrol for a year with Phenobarbitol but died unsuspectedly

Other than that, thats all i have to say, all the other dogs I had werent really mine and had been found homes.

I have had Meik for 5 years ( still going strong) Kita for 4 years ( doing really well) and Puppy for 1 Year and prolly still could have him a round for a few more?!?!?!? Depends

bmerc
November 6th, 2006, 06:09 PM
Toddy - toy poodle 20 yrs!!!
Tina - GSD/ Collie mix, 8 yrs, accident
Heidi - toy poodle - 15 yrs - euthanized cancer
Gidget -" - 17 yrs natural
Barbette - " - 15 yrs natural
Snowball -" - 16 yrs natural
Meesha - Shar-pei - euthanized, 11yrs - cancer

Lili
November 8th, 2006, 07:10 PM
Wow... how sad, but at the same time, it is so true that regardless of the amount of time our pets have with us, it's the quality of that time we share with them we should always remember... Easier said than done, but still...

I should know, I just had to say good bye to my beautiful Doberman 2 weeks ago (see my tribute to Chloe in the thread about pets who have passed...). I wished she could have stayed with me forever.

I also was with her until the end, holding her head in my arms, telling her she was such a good girl and thanking her for all the love she had giving me...

She was 12. I think this age is quite respectable for her breed. I read some post of Dobies owners, and of course I felt even more touched by those messages. Gosh! Dobermans are simply unique (as any other breed in the eyes of their mommy or daddy, I know!) :)

My first dog lived to be 16! She was a Welsh Terrier. A little though one! Stubborn, though, but oh so adorable.

I hope my dogs are playing with all of yours, while waiting for us to join them...

Hope your dog is feeling better 100%doglover! :fingerscr

Lili