-->

Taking the law into one's own hands

Angies Man
November 3rd, 2006, 11:01 AM
Taking the law into one's own hands

Posted: 11/3/2006 Reno Gazette Journal

By Cory Farley

Street Beat

One of Reno's forgotten pleasures is a stroll around Virginia Lake.
Not so long ago, the lake was an unofficial town center. It was where you jogged, where you met friends to brownbag, where you took the kids fishing.
Not so much now. I've talked with many people who don't know where the lake is, or that it exists. I like it better than the sterile new subdivision parks, though, and I cycle or walk there every few days.

This time of year, there are two obstacles to passage. One is Canada geese, large untidy birds which leave spoor, if that's the word I want, about the size of a cocker spaniel's. They're not natives here; if we stopped feeding them, maybe they'd go back to Vancouver.

The other obstacle is dog owners, who take Fluffy to the lake without a thought or plastic bag for the consequences.

This habit is addressed in Reno ordinances:

Sec. 8.28.070. Animal waste disposal.

(a) It shall be unlawful for any person owning or having control or custody of any animal to permit the animal to defecate upon the public property of this city or upon the private property of another unless the person immediately removes the feces and properly disposes of it.

(b) It shall be unlawful for any person to walk a dog "without carrying at all times a suitable . . . instrument for the removal and disposal of dog feces.
Some people, you may be surprised to hear, disobey. I saw one Wednesday, groomed to the last hair, climbing out of her silver Mercedes SUV in a
white jogging suit with an annoying little fashion-accessory dog.

To her credit, she did walk the dog, one full lap. She even managed to pull off a difficult impression, that of a person at one end of a 6-foot leash unaware that a dog at the other end was putting her in violation of Section 8.28.070 (a).

Then she walked away, striding out for another lap. Another dog-walker braced her.

"You just going to leave that?" he asked, pointing to the leavings.
She said something I didn't hear.

"People use this path all day," he persisted. "Who are you to leave (deleted) for everybody else?"

She veered around him and walked on.

The guy looked after her, then at me. I shrugged: Some people.

He held up a finger, then pulled a Baggie from his fanny pack. He draped it over the offending specimen, picked it up, carried it to the silver Mercedes and, turning the bag inside out, left the spoor in the center of the hood.
"Sometimes," he said, "you have to take the law into your own hands."

:evil:

technodoll
November 3rd, 2006, 11:15 AM
someday... i'm gonna do the same dang thing :evil:

Frenchy
November 3rd, 2006, 11:42 AM
I love it I love it I love it !

Angies Man
November 3rd, 2006, 12:31 PM
Yeah, the only think is I think I would have use the bag to pick up the little pile, but not to wrap it--& deposit it unwrapped on the hood of this pig.

technodoll
November 3rd, 2006, 12:43 PM
on the windshield is even better... patted down a little! :evil:

Shaykeija
November 3rd, 2006, 10:25 PM
I was thinking more like stuff it up the tail pipe.:p :evil:

jesse's mommy
November 4th, 2006, 07:51 AM
I was thinking the door handles to get in the car and the front window. :evil:

Joey.E.CockersMommy
November 4th, 2006, 07:40 PM
Good for that person - I would have loved to have seen the look on that womens face :D