Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Young Cat with Kidney Failure

CMNeir
November 3rd, 2006, 12:06 AM
We were informed about 2 weeks ago that our cat's kidney's were failing. Which is odd for a young cat at the age of 2. So they thought it was some kind of poison that he got from outside or something, they are not sure, but we were giving him fluids every day for the last week and the Vet said at first there was probbaly no hope for him, he wasn't doing so well, so today we were suppose to put him down. We thought for sure it was all over, but we talked with the vet and he did say that our cat Sam looked alot better than he did a week ago when the vet first saw him, so we asked a few other questions and we decided not put him down. We will keep him on the fluid treatment for another week to see how he does.

My question thought is: What do you the chances are of him surviving? He is eating, though he doesn't like the stuff we have to give him to help with his kidney's, but he is eating and driking. The say he has gained .4 of a pound since the first time we brought him in which is good i hope. His eyes don't like so dehidrated and everything, he seems to be getting better and i hope we don't have to put him down next week.I really don't want to lose him.

Anyone else gone through this and have any advice or anything would be great thanks, im kind of new here still looking around the forums for some advice and stuff.

badger
November 3rd, 2006, 01:06 AM
Do you think it's possible that he found some anti-freeze? because it sounds a case of poisoning to me and there might be an antidote, if you knew for sure. Cats love anti-freeze and it's usually deadly.
Poor kitty. For the moment, he's fighting, so you should too, although it's impossible to say how things will play out. Eating and drinking are very good signs. If possible, I would visit him at the clinic every day. The sound of your voice and your touch may provide extra encouragement.
Fingers and paws crossed. Please come back with news.

Maya
November 3rd, 2006, 01:53 AM
I'd do everything you can for him and give him a chance to recover, longer than a week. When my cat had kidney failure he was about 6, still pretty young. He had been in a neglectful situation before he came to me so i'm not sure exactly what the cause was. When I brought him to the vet they didn't seem hopeful he'd make it but put him on dialysis of some sort, and he did pull through. It was a lot of work to get him to eat regularly and help him reduce the nausea but very worth it, he had some good years after that. If you are interested I can give you a few suggestions that I think helped with his recovery. It sounds like your kitty is on the mend right now, four pounds is quite a bit for a cat (think 4 1lb blocks of butter!) I doubt my cat ever gained more than a couple. He's also probably healing fast because he is so young. :fingerscr

CMNeir
November 3rd, 2006, 02:44 AM
Yea if you could give me some suggestions that woudl be great. BEfore all this happened he weighed about 10.7 pounds and now weighs 7 pounds about.

As for visiting him at clnic everyday, he is at home all the time except every day i take him in to the vet to get him fluids, but he is home other than that.

And about the anti-freeze wouldn't that affect him within 24 hours, i think this was an over time thing. He was slowly declining, though we hardly noticed it. He wouldn't go out as much and wasnt active. He did in July get his tooth knocked out so we think he got into a fight somehow maybe he got hit near the kidney and something happened. We don't know for sure our vet can't take x-rays with their equipment.

I hope we made the rght choice in not putting him down, he does seem better than a week ago and i hope he improves. He's only 2 afterall. Thanks for your support.

CMNeir
November 3rd, 2006, 02:55 AM
Here are two pictures of him. One is from 2004 i believe and the other is from a couple days ago.

chico2
November 3rd, 2006, 06:01 AM
What a beautiful baby:love:
He is obviously fighting for his life and I am glad you are not giving up on him.
I have no experience with poison,but with lots of fluids could it not be flushed out of his system? Or does the poison(if it is poison) do permanent damage to his kidneys?
I understand he gained 0.4lbs not 4 lbs,right?
I find most cats do not like the vet-prescribed food,at least mine don't,maybe you could find an alternative,equally good for his kidneys,a healthy holistic food.
Please keep us posted and good like to the little beauty:fingerscr :fingerscr

Hunter's_owner
November 3rd, 2006, 07:23 AM
Sorry to hear about your cat. I don't have any advice :(

I just wanted to say that your cat is beautiful and it is good to hear that you are doing all you can
:fingerscr and I hope that everything works out alright

Maya
November 3rd, 2006, 04:18 PM
Sorry about that I guess I wanted to see 4lbs., .4 is still a good sign though and also that he is eating. Of course every situation will be different so it's hard to tell what might happen.

I found that tuna juice, chicken broth, fish broth etc.. were very popular since he was thirsty most of the time. I hadn't thought about the broth having to much protein though, you might want to ask the vet if it's okay since he needs low protein. Another favourite was cantaloupe. A very knowledgeable lady at the vitamin store I shop at recommended it as something that "cools the kidneys". He loved to eat little pieces and then chew on the peel. He'd often eat a little bit of cantaloupe to wet his appetite before his regular food. I'd try to find organic if you can. The thing that helped with nausea was the homoeopathic remedy Ipecac which can be found in most health food stores. Dr Pitcairn's books should provide more details on dosage and other remedies to try in your situation.
I find most cats do not like the vet-prescribed food,at least mine don't,maybe you could find an alternative,equally good for his kidneys,a healthy holistic food.

I wish I knew more about holistic diets tailored to specific conditions but we were just using vet food at the time. You could probably find something better. Maybe start another thread in the food forum?

I'll see if I can dig up a picture to share, my kitty looked similar to yours and had a similar look in his eyes that I think may be due to kidney problems. I only see the sink picture, i'm guessing that's the more recent one? My sweetheart liked to hang out in the bathroom too, always looking for new and interesting places to drink from.

How is his energy? Is he still walking around and enjoying some of his kitty activities?

CMNeir
November 3rd, 2006, 05:24 PM
"I only see the sink picture, i'm guessing that's the more recent one?"

That is from 2005 i believe it isnt the most recent the one below it is most recent, but i guess you can't see it for some reason hmm..

He is eating, he doesn't like the vet food, but he does eat it, the vet said we can give him some of his regular food to give him some strength cause he eats that more. He walks around, lays in his favorite spots, eats and drinks, but not enough that is why we are giving him fluids. Before when i took him into the vet a week ago he did not fight at all, and was very light, but this week i took him in and he is starting tp put up a fight which is good.

Boubou
November 3rd, 2006, 10:45 PM
I just lost a cat to kidney failure. I tried everything. However, it depends on how much damage your cat's kidneys have. This is the best website for renal failure in cats - everything you need to know is there, very encouraging. The most important thing is that he eats and you keep him hydrated with sub -cutaneous fluids, very easy to do........good luck!

http://felinecrf.com

or google: Feline CRF Information Reception Desk

chico2
November 4th, 2006, 07:02 AM
CMNeir,that's good to hear,hopefully there is not too much damage to his kidneys:fingerscr
All 3 of my cats absolutely freeze at the vet,no matter what the vet does:D

Maya
November 4th, 2006, 02:00 PM
He walks around, lays in his favorite spots, eats and drinks, but not enough that is why we are giving him fluids.

That's a good sign, please keep us posted. Tons of extra love and cuddles will also help. I hope some of the suggestions are helpful too!? :fingerscr

CMNeir
November 12th, 2006, 09:57 PM
Sorry for the long delay in an update about Sam. Good news, real good news. On November 2, we headed in to put him down, but we just couldn't go through with it... We had a long chat with the Vet and he showed signs of improvement and as of today he has improved greatly.

He is running up the stairs instead of walking. He is eating, drikning, thgouh still not enough, but he is so that's good. He plas with the other cats now and seems more active now unlike he was a week ago. And the vet now says he isn't gong to die so that is really good news. He has gained almost a pound now, so he is getting alot better. Well that's the update on Sam right now!

Boubou
November 12th, 2006, 10:22 PM
Wow! Great news!!!! I'm sure his young age is on his side, thank goodness!:thumbs up

rainbow
November 12th, 2006, 10:48 PM
Glad to hear the news and hope his progress continues. :fingerscr :cat:

hazelrunpack
November 12th, 2006, 10:48 PM
Very good news! So glad to hear it! Keep up the good work with Sam and thank you for not giving up on him! :thumbs up

chico2
November 13th, 2006, 07:32 AM
Great news for Sam:thumbs up he is such a pretty cat,I am sure he'll be thanking you every day of his life for not giving up on him:cat:
Thank's for the up-date:pawprint:

Maya
November 13th, 2006, 01:59 PM
Wow sounds like he is doing much better! He will likely need special care for the rest of his life so keep up the good work you've been doing with him and hopefully he will continue to improve.:thumbs up :fingerscr :cat:

CMNeir
November 27th, 2006, 01:09 AM
The cat is going to live! He has gained back 2 pounds, from 7 to 9. He is active, plays with the cats. Though they advise on him not going outside, though i don't like that idea for he is an outdoor cat, maybe during the summer we could let him out, who knows. But the good news is, we don't have to put him down and he is going to live! Im happy :)

chico2
November 27th, 2006, 06:40 AM
CMNeir,that's soooo good to hear:cat: it also gives hope to others who have pets with failing kidneys.
I've never had an"outdoor"cat,mine go outside with me,it might be difficult at first to keep him inside,but I am sure he'll get used to it.
He's such a pretty cat,he might even not want to go outside,after what he's been through:fingerscr
Thank's for letting us know and good luck to Sam:highfive:

CMNeir
April 6th, 2007, 02:40 PM
Things aren't looking good again. He lost 2 pounds a week ago and he doesn't look good at all today. He can barely keep his head p and he walks all weird. My mom thinks he had some stroke, but who knows. He was good really weel after November, but last month i just think he started to go into a decline again.

The Vet said his kidneys had shrunken a bit, but he had been eating and drinking alot, so we decided to keep him going. Just give him alot of fluids because he was so dehydrated even though he was drinking fine on his own. He just wasn't getting enough.

I hope he pulls through, but as of today he looks his worst... :(

So we will have to decide today or tomorrow whether or not we have to put him down. I'll try to post a new picture of him as he is now. He looks alot different from the previous two pictures i posted in this thread... which isn't good.

He has been fighting the odds for half a month now and he still desires to go outside, but he knows he can't. He doesn't look his best, and now even worse. I don't know what we are going to do :(

rainbow
April 6th, 2007, 03:26 PM
I'm sorry to hear about Sam. :grouphug: Has he been eating any of the recalled foods or treats?

chico2
April 6th, 2007, 03:40 PM
Oh no,sorry to hear that:sad:
Same question as rainbow,what does Sam eat? Maybe the contaminated food??
Probably does not matter anymore,all I can say,:fingerscr that he will somehow recover:fingerscr

Brad411
April 6th, 2007, 06:05 PM
CM, I'm so sorry about your kitty's sickness, and those of you who mentioned similiar expriences. I have been there and I know that feeling. :(

I had a female cat I just adored, found her as a tiny kitten in 1994. Not all cats are big people lovers, but she really loved me and loved to be carried around. She grew up with my two shelties that I got in 95 and 96.

In August of 1998 she disappeared for 2-3 days, which she had NEVER done. When she came back she was sick. The Vet had me treating it as some virus type thing and I was giving her pills for several days. The cat got worse, I dropped her off before I went to work and they called and said she was into kidney failure.. I was just stunned. I told them to do whatever they could for her. The next day I went there and it was clear she had no hope. I told them they could put her to sleep, I watched it, I won't go into details but it broke my heart. I cried and cried over that cat and I'm a grown man. (was 26 then)

I decided from that point that I would never have another cat. Why some cats suddenly develop renal failure(and sometimes at such young ages) is really strange.

CMNeir
April 6th, 2007, 07:43 PM
Thanks for the support, and no i don't think he has been eating any of the recalled foods. He has had this on going probem since October sometime. Yesterday he seemed well off, and then this morning he could barely move and he couldn't lift his head, pretty much at all. It was really sad to see.

We just got done talking together as a family on what we should do for Sam. It looks like we may be putting him down tonight who knows. To make things worse today is my mom's birthday, this is really hard for her... I've been through the first funeral we had for Sam, but then stopped them in a matter of minutes before they put him to sleep in November. I think i will handle this a bit better... It will be sad, but we all have to move on at some point. I'll miss him. :sad:

CMNeir
April 7th, 2007, 01:53 AM
Well it's over :(

He is no longer with us. We put him down atound 7pm Pactific Time. It was very sad to see him leave. I took as many pictures and video as i could. I'll miss my Sam.

glitterless
April 7th, 2007, 03:48 AM
I'm so sorry for your loss. He was such a beautiful boy. He reminds me of my buddy, Velcro who I lost just before Christmas. http://i111.photobucket.com/albums/n151/Katyhalls/DCP_0076.jpg

I hope our boys are playing together in a happy place.

chico2
April 7th, 2007, 06:13 AM
So sorry :rip: sweet Sam:sad:

Kristin7
April 7th, 2007, 07:07 AM
I'm so sorry about Sam. :grouphug: I've had two animals die of kidney failure, one at a young age. All we can do is enjoy them each day while they are with us. Strangely, my family just went through the same thing yesterday. My parents had to put their beloved cat Frankie to sleep. He had cancer, which they had just found out Monday. He went downhill through the week and yesterday hid in the basement. My Dad went to pick him up and he cried... :sad: they knew it was time for him to go. Yesterday was also my Mom's birthday. :rip: :rip: for Frankie and Sam.

BusterBoo
April 7th, 2007, 04:03 PM
:rip: I am so sorry for your loss. Nothing anyone can say or do will take your pain away, but you have to believe that your Sam is pain free at the Bridge.

:pray: to you and your family.......my condolences

cpietra16
April 7th, 2007, 05:46 PM
I'm so sorry to hear of your loss...RIP SAM

Prin
April 7th, 2007, 08:35 PM
I'm so sorry for your loss. It sounds like he was very well loved. He was lucky to have you.:grouphug: :grouphug: :rip:

rainbow
April 7th, 2007, 11:09 PM
I am so soory to hear about Sam. :rip: My condolences to you and your family. :grouphug: :candle:

CMNeir
April 9th, 2007, 03:41 PM
Thanks for the support. I will let my mom know what you've all said. She'd like that. It was the hardest for her to let him go. The worst part of it all, was it was on her birthday that we put him down. She had already has a bad week and this just added even more to it...

I'll miss him too and sorry for all your losses as well. :rip:

Brad411
April 9th, 2007, 08:34 PM
:sad: I'm sorry CM. Hang in there. :grouphug: