Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

odd behaviour in elderly dog

kasran
November 2nd, 2006, 11:40 PM
My parents have a 12 year old English Springer Spaniel. He has had a clean health record all his life, very active and still very physically fit. He recently has started to bark at his food dish, and won't drink water from usual bowl. He is eating but has to be coaxed into drinking. He drank water from the fountain in the garden all summer long. It has since been put away due to winter approaching. He has these brief moments of confusion throughout the day. One evening he chose to sleep on the cold, back step instead of his usual spot on the bed. My Mom finally coaxed him inside. Is this just "old age" setting in?

Prin
November 2nd, 2006, 11:56 PM
Maybe... Have you talked to the vet? Maybe his sight and hearing are going.:shrug:

Hunter's_owner
November 3rd, 2006, 07:20 AM
Yeah, I would defeinelty bring him in to the vet to get him checked. Any behaviour change can mean an illness of some sort.
Let us know how he makes out...

rainbow
November 5th, 2006, 12:54 PM
I agree with the others. When was the last time he was checked by the vet? When a dog has behavioural changes like that he is trying to tell you something is wrong. Good luck and please keep us posted. :fingerscr

kasran
November 6th, 2006, 11:59 AM
We talked to our local vet (not much of a small animal vet, he's more into cattle) and he knew nothing. However, he did say he will call the College of Vet Medecine for us. In the meantime, we did some more searching on the net and think that it may be kind of "alzheimer's" for dogs and meds are available. We will be bringing him to a different vet until we get some answers. Thanks for your concern and help.

rainbow
November 7th, 2006, 01:03 AM
Glad you are getting some treatment for your dog. Keep us posted and good luck. :fingerscr