Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

AHHHHH!! he ate chicken wings

meb999
November 2nd, 2006, 06:58 PM
ok, I'm freaking out.

I put out some chicken wings (pre-cooked and frozen) on a baking sheet, the phone rang and I turned around FOR A SECOND and Buster swallowed like 4 wings. They're super spicy and he crunched a few bones.

I'm a little freaked out....I know cooked chicken bones can do some serious damage....
What signs should I look for? awwwww, man....I have a huge day at school tomorow....I think Nic'll have to take the day off work to keep on eye on him....

What can I do???

Am I completely over-reacting? I just know I won't be able to sleep tonight....

shredy
November 2nd, 2006, 07:05 PM
Hi, sorry about your dog, mine has a chocolate addiction and I have had my fair share of vet visits for that. Chicken bones can splinter and lodge, or tear the GI tract including the stomach, intestines, or bowel on their way out. The only way you will be able to tell is by getting an xray. If he starts vomitting, having diarrhea, or you see blood in his stool (blood cn look red or black) get him to the vet ASAP. Soemtimes these things won't have any complications, and sometimes they can be very werious. hopefully 4 small chicken wings won't cause him a big problem (he may have diarrhea from the uncooked chicken though). I would be worried too, can you get him in to see your vet?

jesse's mommy
November 2nd, 2006, 07:07 PM
Jesse did something like this about a year and a half ago. She actually pulled chicken wing bones out of the trash, ate a bunch and buried the rest in the sofa for later. :frustrated: I called the vet and they said to just keep an eye on her for any changes from the norm. They said to watch for her being lethargic, any vomiting and blood in her stool or coming from her anus. Fortunately it never splintered and she was fine. So I would just keep a close eye on Buster.

the gang
November 2nd, 2006, 07:50 PM
use bread a good few pieces it will help coat his stomach good luck brenda and the pins.:fingerscr

Prin
November 2nd, 2006, 08:54 PM
Good luck... I don't know what you should do.

hazelrunpack
November 2nd, 2006, 09:07 PM
We've had past experiences like yours, Marie-Eve. The vet told us to watch for the same things that jesse's mommy mentioned. We've never had any major problems develop. I think problems can occur, but it's not a forgone conclusion that they will occur. So :fingerscr and hope for the best! Keep an eye on Buster but try not to lose sleep over it... Our vet tells us (every time it happens :) ) that if they haven't developed symptoms in 2 or 3 days, they'll likely be okay. (But I have to admit we always sweat it for about 4 days, or until we see whatever was eaten pass in the stool, before we relax.)

Actually, we've had more troubles with chewed up pine cones than with chicken bones! Sigh...some dogs are more dedicated snarfers than others...pine cones...yuk! :yuck:

technodoll
November 2nd, 2006, 09:25 PM
i agree with everyone... bring him to the vet is problems develop but otherwise, patience and let nature take its course... who knows... he might actually have nice firm poop for the first time in ages :shrug:

(( hugs )) to you and hang in there! keep us posted!

ps: was that your dinner?? :confused:

pitgrrl
November 2nd, 2006, 09:40 PM
use bread a good few pieces it will help coat his stomach good luck brenda and the pins.:fingerscr

...and the cheaper and whiter the bread is the better. You know how wonder bread is kind of gooey? The idea is that it will stick around the edges of the bones and help them pass without problems.

hazelrunpack
November 2nd, 2006, 09:42 PM
:yuck: I'm glad to hear that Wonder bread is good for something!! ptuiiii

technodoll
November 2nd, 2006, 09:49 PM
actually bread gets quickly dissolved by the stomach's acid, i think what is meant is the cotton-ball trick... works for any sharp objects including cooked bones.

THE PROCEDURE

What do you do if your puppy (or mischievous older dog) gets into your holiday decorations and eats some of the glass ornaments? This potentially lethal mishap can darken even the brightest holiday season.

BEFORE the holiday go to a pharmacy & buy a box of cotton balls. Be sure that you get COTTON balls...not the "cosmetic puffs" that are made from man-made fibers. Also, buy a quart of half-and-half coffee cream and put it in the freezer.

Should your dog eat glass ornaments, defrost the half-and-half and pour some in a bowl. Dip cotton balls into the cream and feed them to your dog.

Dogs under 10 lbs. should eat 2 balls which you have first torn into smaller pieces. Dogs 10-50 lbs should eat 3-5 balls and larger dogs should eat 5-7. You may feed larger dogs an entire cotton ball at once. Dogs seem to really like these strange "treats" and eat them readily. As the cotton works its way through the digestive tract it will find all the glass pieces and wrap itself around them. Even the teeniest shards of glass will be caught and wrapped in the cotton fibers and the cotton will protect the intestines from damage by the glass. Your dog's stools will be really weird for a few
days and you will have to be careful to check for fresh blood or a tarry appearance to the stool. If either of the latter symptoms appear you should rush your dog to the vet for a checkup but, in most cases, the dogs will be just fine.

ByronsMum
November 3rd, 2006, 07:25 AM
Wow techno! That piece of advice is going in the bank.... with Byron's first Xmas coming up.....:p

Meb, good luck! Hope everything turns out ok for Buster. :fingerscr :fingerscr

pug lover
November 3rd, 2006, 08:23 AM
wondering if frozen wings would splinter :shrug: or if the dog swallowed them whole??

good luck poop searching :yuck: hope u find all 4 :thumbs up

keep us updated on the bone count as u find them:D

technodoll
November 3rd, 2006, 09:23 AM
marie-eve, how is buster this morning??? :fingerscr

hazelrunpack
November 3rd, 2006, 10:09 AM
marie-eve, how is buster this morning??? :fingerscr

Yes, update, please! :fingerscr

jessi76
November 3rd, 2006, 10:59 AM
another request for an update.... :fingerscr

meb999
November 3rd, 2006, 04:04 PM
Well, he ate and drank today, but he hasn't pooped yet. I called the vet and she said if he doesn't poop tonight, then I should bring him in for x-rays. He's acting completely normal though, which the vet says is a very good sign. she's not too worried (I wish I could say the same for me :rolleyes: )

I'm hoping for a nice big poop tonight :fingerscr :pray: (hey, some people wish to win the lottery, I wish for poop :D )

technodoll
November 3rd, 2006, 04:06 PM
watch what you wish for... isn't buster the mister-cannon-butt? :eek:

:D just kidding... :pray: that everything goes well!!!

doing the poop-dance for you... :cool:

meb999
November 3rd, 2006, 04:08 PM
watch what you wish for... isn't buster the mister-cannon-butt? :eek:

yeah...for almost a year I've been wishing he would stop pooping, and look at me now :o :eek:

technodoll
November 3rd, 2006, 04:12 PM
so ironic! :D (shakes head...)

meb999
November 3rd, 2006, 10:37 PM
and then there was POOP!! WOOHOO :D I'm keeping an eye on him, but he pooped, so I'm quite relieved!!

technodoll
November 3rd, 2006, 10:42 PM
ah, but what kind of poop? :D

(yayyy for the good news!)

hazelrunpack
November 3rd, 2006, 11:38 PM
ah, but what kind of poop? :D

(yayyy for the good news!)

um...I believe that would be doggy poop TD... hehehecouldn't resist that crack...sorry hehehehehe:crazy:

Good news, meb999! :thumbs up almost outta da woods...

Prin
November 4th, 2006, 02:35 AM
:highfive: Good luck for more happy (or as happy as Buster's get) poops...:fingerscr

Angies Man
November 4th, 2006, 11:07 AM
As my Dad used to say:

"I hope everything comes out okay in the end."

Or to paraphrase Charlie Brown:

"Happiness is a warm poopy."

If he swallowed the bones whole, they won't be splintering and are small enough to be broken down by stomach acid or passed on through the gut. I'm with the vet, keep an eye on your dog, of course, but don't go looking for trouble.

meb999
November 5th, 2006, 07:08 PM
YAY!! Buster's had explosive butt poo since the 'incident' (actually for longer than that...but that's a different thread!), but today, amidst the explosive butt poo was 4 CHICKEN WINGS. They didn't get digested, and the bones and everything came out whole. no plinters. Thank goodness. Now back to trying to find a food that he can digest :frustrated: :o

Angies Man
November 5th, 2006, 07:20 PM
Which reminds me of the ending of a Beatles album:

And in the end. . .
The poop you take
is equal to the food
you ate. . .

Geez, I'm feeling poetic lately!:D

hazelrunpack
November 5th, 2006, 07:20 PM
Yay, Buster!!! Good poopin', big fellar! :thumbs up Whew!, eh meb?:D

meb999
November 5th, 2006, 07:21 PM
Which reminds me of the ending of a Beatles album:

And in the end. . .
The poop you take
is equal to the food
you ate. . .

Geez, I'm feeling poetic lately!:D

LOL!!! :D :D :D

Sweetgrass
November 5th, 2006, 07:39 PM
This a thread worthy of a big thumbs up and I love that all is well in the end.....

the cotton ball things is fantastic!

Kimmee