Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Cat lethargic and not eating

LLL
November 2nd, 2006, 02:40 PM
My 10 year old cat is lethargic and hasn't eaten since yesterday. He doesn't seem to be in pain - it's as though he's been tranquilized. I'm trying to get info before taking him to a vet - I'm afraid they are going to want to keep him for observation and he hates the vet! Any suggestions on what is wrong with him?

Thanks,
Laura

Hunter's_owner
November 2nd, 2006, 02:43 PM
Sorry to hear. :( The vet definetly needs to take a look.
Hopefully they can determine what is going on without having to keep him for observation.
So yeah, my only suggestion is to see a vet asap. I hope all goes well and keep us posted :fingerscr

Sariss
November 2nd, 2006, 03:48 PM
Take her to the vet. Not eating - even if just for ONE day can be dangerous.

Maya
November 2nd, 2006, 04:30 PM
I'd get him to the vet right away it could be really serious even life threatening. He's in his senior years now and you'd be surprised how fast an illness can take them. It's likely they will just want to do bloodwork and take his temperature then send him home with you to watch and wait for results. Better to find out what's wrong now because it may just get worse and end up being more time and money spent at the vets.

p.s. If you are worried they will want to keep him there than it does sound like he's in pretty bad shape today, so go with your instincts and have him looked at! Good luck, I hope he pulls through.

chico2
November 2nd, 2006, 05:28 PM
Usually by the time a cat stops eating and becomes lethargic,it often means he has suffered in silence for a while.
Cats are very paintolerant,but the time comes when they give up and just lay there.
A vet-visit ASAP is absolutely needed.

LLL
November 3rd, 2006, 05:16 PM
We spent a few hours at the vet yesterday, and it seems that his kidneys are fine, his liver is fine, his glucose is slightly high but normal, his intestines and colon are clear, if empty and today the ultrasound confirmed that there were no blockages in his digestive tract. The doctor is saying that there are more tests, to see if perhaps he is borderline diabetic, and wants to give him an appetite stimulant, but basically is stumped.

chico2
November 3rd, 2006, 05:23 PM
You don't know how often we hear that and it is really frustrating,I hope you'll get an answer so treatment can start:fingerscr
I once had a diabetic cat,he was never lethargic or stopped eating,but maybe each individual cat reacts different.
Are you sure he did not just get in to something that he has a bad temporary reaction to?

Maya
November 3rd, 2006, 05:44 PM
kidneys are fine, his liver is fine, his glucose is slightly high but normal Did you get bloodwork results in one day to find that out? That's really fast. How is he doing today? Maybe it was just a bug he was fighting, bloodwork should determine that though.:confused: Hope it works out okay.:fingerscr

Sariss
November 3rd, 2006, 10:58 PM
Did you get bloodwork results in one day to find that out? That's really fast. How is he doing today? Maybe it was just a bug he was fighting, bloodwork should determine that though.:confused: Hope it works out okay.:fingerscr

Many clinics have in-clinic machines that test this - it takes about 10 minutes to get.

Good to hear kitty is doing ok!

Maya
November 3rd, 2006, 11:26 PM
Many clinics have in-clinic machines that test this - it takes about 10 minutes to get.

That's great!

This vet sounds good to also do an ultrasound right away, that would have saved me a lot of grief when my cat was blocked. I Hope you get it sorted out and that it wasn't all for nought. Better safe than sorry though, an older cat appearing tranquilized is certainly something to worry about.

rainbow
November 5th, 2006, 01:40 PM
Laura, how is your kitty doing? :fingerscr