Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

cat problem?

muddymama
November 2nd, 2006, 01:15 PM
I have a 9 year old fat cat who seems perfectly normal but latley he can't seem to hold his tail up all the way if at all and a friend of mine says that means he is sick, is that true?
My vet will not give advice over the phone and i don't want to take him in just because I am paranoid.

jessi76
November 2nd, 2006, 01:20 PM
I have taken my pets to the vet many many many times because I was paranoid, and NOT ONCE have I ever regreted doing so. The reassurance that it was nothing serious was worth the visit to me. It's ALWAYS better to be safe, than sorry.

Cats hide pain & illness VERY well. so anytime your cat is acting out of the norm, a checkup w/ the vet is a good idea.

I hope it's nothing to worry about, but only a vet will be able to tell you for sure.

Maya
November 2nd, 2006, 04:46 PM
If your cat is "fat" he may be struggling with an underlying illness like diabetes, hypothyroid, arthritis or the extra pounds in general. At his age it would be wise to get him to the vet for an all around checkup anyway since he is now a "senior kitty" (senior cats also have different dietary requirements than young cats). I'd be very worried if my cat couldn't lift his tail, that is not at all normal, it's kind of like not being able to lift your arm. Please let us know how it goes, i'd like to know what the problem is and how he makes out.
Good luck.

Sariss
November 2nd, 2006, 09:14 PM
Geriatric cats should be checked out more often. Especially since your cat is obese, you should be getting him to the vet at least twice a year for a general exam. Old age will give rise to health problems, and being obese makes it worse, so you will want to catch it early.

rainbow
November 5th, 2006, 02:03 PM
I agree with the others and would definitely take him to the vet for a check-up. Good luck and please post with an update. :fingerscr