Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Sheesh, another designer breed...

Bearsmom
November 2nd, 2006, 08:36 AM
I was surfing the net this morning, looking for a Bernese Mountain Dog rescue group, and came across an assistance dog website , and this foundation has introduced the LABERNESE (bernese mountain dog and labrador mix) as "the ultimate assistance dog".

What the hell is that about? Maybe I'm just crabby today, but holy cow!

technodoll
November 2nd, 2006, 10:07 AM
yeah, seeing eye dogs have been mixed for years... only now, they have a fancy name for them! :cool:

Bearsmom
November 2nd, 2006, 10:15 AM
Heh, I guess it's a matter of time before the BYBs get a hold of that one....

mesaana
November 2nd, 2006, 10:44 AM
In Québec, this is not new. MIRA has been using Lab X BMD mixes for years as service dogs.
http://www.mira.ca/contenta/nc1a.html

Edited to add: I just found it on the website, they started breeding these dogs in 1991.

Bearsmom
November 2nd, 2006, 10:57 AM
My point was the name, and the fact that BYBs can very soon be "marketing" this type of breed.

As assistance dogs go, yes, a lab/berner mix would make a lovely intelligent companion dog, but must a "designer name" be attached to it?

For example, one of my rescue dogs is a lab/mastiff/rottweiler mix...shall I market it as a Lamastirott???

technodoll
November 2nd, 2006, 11:01 AM
For example, one of my rescue dogs is a lab/mastiff/rottweiler mix...shall I market it as a Lamastirott???

a "rotten lama" is sexier :D (kidding)

mesaana
November 2nd, 2006, 11:07 AM
Got it! :thumbs up However, since they have been called "Labernois" since 1991 in Québec, it didn't seem new to me :) It's almost a breed, in my head. And I *think* that they are working on getting them to breed true (for 5 generations, etc) so eventually they might actually become one. But I'm not 100% sure so don't quote me on this.

And just to position myself: I'm completely against the designer breeds in general and never call them by the silly name but call them mixed breeds. The name Labernois came so long before we ever heard about all these designer breeds that it's not the same thing to me. But I see how it could be for anyone who just heard it for the first time :)

Prin
November 2nd, 2006, 11:33 AM
I was surfing the net this morning, looking for a Bernese Mountain Dog rescue group, and came across an assistance dog website , and this foundation has introduced the LABERNESE (bernese mountain dog and labrador mix) as "the ultimate assistance dog".

Yeah, they've been around for a while... The bernese part calms the dog down or something... I've seen a bunch of them, and they all look like Boo with varying lengths of fur. But yeah, I don't see why they needed to invent a new dog. Just sad.

phoenix
November 2nd, 2006, 12:20 PM
mmmm this doesn't bother me so much. wish they'd come up with a non-combo name for it, but at least it is for a purpose. If neither dog breed alone is meeting the requirements... I don't see the difference between breeding these together vs. trying to make a bigger lab or a shorter haired bernese through selective breeding practices. They are tracking and caring for all of the offspring. Hope it doesn't become a trend, though, you're right. As soon as I read it, I thought wow, that would be an amazing service dog, strong and big enough to support movement, pull things, etc ; intelligent, calm... JMO>

Bearsmom
November 2nd, 2006, 01:48 PM
wish they'd come up with a non-combo name for it,>

Precisely me point.:D

Prin
November 2nd, 2006, 08:34 PM
I don't know why they don't just call them Mira dogs... That's what everybody else does.:D :shrug:

Rottielover
November 3rd, 2006, 07:16 AM
unfortunetly after mira started to use them as Mira dogs, the trend did start to become a little popular. I know of a couple people who own the same mix and got the from BYB, not write offs from mira. Sooooo another way for BYB to advertise.

BMDLuver
November 3rd, 2006, 04:49 PM
There are lots of Labernois here in Quebec. I have a guesstimated 1 year old 145lb one to evaluate on Saturday. He was found wandering the streets and a family has held on to him for 2 weeks trying to find the owner. I'll see if that's really what he is but sounds like it from the description. Why Mira chose to cross them is beyond me... if they took solid well bred purebreds then they wouldn't be crossing IMHO. :rolleyes:

mich28
November 25th, 2006, 12:20 PM
during my search for a chihuahua, a breeder e-mailed me saying she had itailian chihuahuas.when i asked her what a italian chihuahua was she told me part min greyhound and half chihuahua and they look similar to a min pin.she was asking alot for them unregistered.