Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Doggie breath!!!

ByronsMum
November 2nd, 2006, 07:04 AM
Byron is starting to teethe and we have been advised by the vet NOT to start brushing his teeth until he is done (because of the sore gums, etc). But, he has been getting SUPER doggie breath!! :yuck: Actually, it smells like rotten fish..:yuck:

So what could we give him to make his breath smell better??

(I am sure that his occasional snack of poo doesn't help matters much!! :frustrated: )

Ideas??

Prin
November 2nd, 2006, 12:53 PM
You'd get more sympathy if you weren't so funny.:D

Not sure how to fix that.. Never had a puppy really...:o

jessi76
November 2nd, 2006, 01:01 PM
idea #1 - stop the poo snacking.

idea #2 - make your own minty-flavored dog biscuits.

idea #3 - wipe his teeth gently w/ a baby washcloth with a baking soda & warm water paste. (baking soda will gently clean the teeth, neutralize odors, and the baby cloth will be gentle on those sore gums)

those are the best I can come up with.

technodoll
November 2nd, 2006, 01:02 PM
umm, rotten breath has nothing to do with teeth, coming from a young puppy who has no tooth decay... it's his tummy speaking to you, hun... prolly not having good digestion right now. Try adding a broad-spectrum Digestive Enzyme tablet to his meals and see if that helps (you can ask the pharmacist for assistance if you can't find it on the shelves).

if dakotah doesn't get a tablet when he eats kibble, all hell breaks loose. but wtih the D.E, his digestion is SO much better, no stinky breath and no farts :thumbs up

Prin
November 2nd, 2006, 01:07 PM
idea #3 - wipe his teeth gently w/ a baby washcloth with a baking soda & warm water paste. (baking soda will gently clean the teeth, neutralize odors, and the baby cloth will be gentle on those sore gums)No way! You just solved a mystery for me. At my dog food store, they actually had canisters of baking soda wipeys for the teeth. I was wondering if they worked. So there you go. :thumbs up

jessi76
November 2nd, 2006, 01:14 PM
lol - that was a mystery? my mom's been brushing her dog's teeth w/ baking soda for years. Personally, I don't believe it works as well as the dog toothpaste though. although baking soda DOES neutralize the odors, instead of making the dog's breath worse by stinking of poultry-paste. blech!

TD's suggestion makes perfect sense though - I'd give it a whirl!

Prin
November 2nd, 2006, 01:17 PM
lol not the baking soda part, the wipey part. :o :D

ByronsMum
November 2nd, 2006, 01:48 PM
Thanks peeps!!! :thumbs up

Techno, your DE tablet idea sound like something Byron might need. Cus lemme tell ya...when he puts out those "silent but deadly" farts.... ULGH!!!!!!!!!! You need to cordon off the area and label it Biohazard Zone!!!!!

I will try the DE tablets then.....so I can just get them at the regular pharmacy? and they are called DE tablets or do they have a brand name?

technodoll
November 2nd, 2006, 01:53 PM
I will try the DE tablets then.....so I can just get them at the regular pharmacy? and they are called DE tablets or do they have a brand name?

yep, a few companies make Digestive Enzymes and they're available in drugstores, with the vitamins & supplements... look for a broad-spectrum one though, that helps digest fats, fiber, etc.

good info on DE: http://www.goodpet.com/library/des.html

:)

ByronsMum
November 2nd, 2006, 02:00 PM
Deficiencies can also be genetically-related and symptoms will show up among kittens and puppies.
Typical signs of deficiencies are voluminous stool, often with undigested fat clearly visible; animals who eat their own feces; and animals who are overtly underweight despite big appetites.

EUREKA!!! This may explain the poo-eating!!!!!

Hooray for Techno!!!!!!!!!!!!:highfive:

technodoll
November 2nd, 2006, 02:06 PM
:fingerscr that it works for Byron.... it's pretty much an instant-fix, too!! i paid about $10 for 60 capsules of broad-spectrum DE's, which would be a month's supply... but i didn't look for sales, i was in a rush :o

brandynva
November 2nd, 2006, 05:17 PM
Wow! Roscoe has a problem with the silent but deadly thing. He can clear a room in about 2 seconds. I will have to try that as well!

ByronsMum
November 2nd, 2006, 05:20 PM
Techno, do I give him 1 at each meal? He gets fed 3xday...

I just bought some. It came with 72 capsules for 8 bucks!!!! :thumbs up

technodoll
November 2nd, 2006, 06:38 PM
wow, you got a good deal there! :highfive:

i just follow the instructions on the bottle... 1 capsule, with water, a few minutes before each meal. did you get a "broad spectrum" forumla?

it really works, so good luck and let us know how it goes! :thumbs up

ByronsMum
November 2nd, 2006, 08:59 PM
Yeah, I got a broad spectrum formula. And I am very happy with the deal I got! WOO HOOO!!!!:highfive:

Uhm....I assume that by "giving it to him with some water" you mean diluting it in a little water and having him drink it a few mins before each meal?

I guess sprinkling it on his food wouldn't work then? :o

hazelrunpack
November 2nd, 2006, 09:12 PM
Uhm....I assume that by "giving it to him with some water" you mean diluting it in a little water and having him drink it a few mins before each meal?

Oh! :thumbs up I was just trying to figure out how you'd get him to drink a glass of water each time you gave him a pill.... I'm feeling a little brain-dead today I guess!

I was thinking maybe dissolving it in water and using a syringe to dose him... How do you do it, TD?

Prin
November 2nd, 2006, 09:16 PM
Do you keep those in the fridge, techno? I'm just wondering because if you don't, the acidophilus in it is probably dead and useless..:o

technodoll
November 2nd, 2006, 09:18 PM
no no! you need the full dose to go down, so just drop the capsule down the dog's throat, as if giving a pill. it's so easy!

show your dog a treat he loves, make him sit and get all drooly. then just open the mouth, drop the capsule in the back of the throat, close the mouth and stroke the throat to encourage swallowing (it will slide down thanks to the drool, LOL) and then quickly follow with the cookie or treat. then encourage a few sips of water, wait 5 or 10 minutes, and feed as normal.

you will see, after a few times the dog will practically beg for that capsule, LOL! :crazy:

technodoll
November 2nd, 2006, 09:19 PM
Do you keep those in the fridge, techno? I'm just wondering because if you don't, the acidophilus in it is probably dead and useless

prin, these are digestive enzymes, not probiotics - no need to refrigerate :)

a broad-spectrum DE will contain:

proteolytic enzymes needed to digest protein, lipases needed to digest fat, and amylases needed to digest carbohydrates.

hazelrunpack
November 2nd, 2006, 09:26 PM
no no! you need the full dose to go down, so just drop the capsule down the dog's throat, as if giving a pill. it's so easy!

:D That is so much easier than trying to squirt it in with a syringe--less messy, too :thumbs up

Byron's mom, please remember to post results--especially if it cures Byron's poop-eating urges... We have a dog here that could use a little cure, too :crazy: !

Prin
November 2nd, 2006, 09:28 PM
Oh, I thought it was these: http://www.goodpet.com/library/pharmacyFiles/canine.asp
That said:
Each 1750 mg (one teaspoon) contains:

Protease 16666 HUT Amylase 2000 DU Acidophilus 66 mill Lipase 8.02 IU Cellulase 9 CU

technodoll
November 2nd, 2006, 09:34 PM
nope... my DE's don't contain any acidophillus... i went and checked, and this is what we are using:

http://www.naturesnutrition.com/SKU/images/15581.jpg

Product: Digestive Enzymes 500mg

Company: Swiss

Size: 60 Capsules

Ingredients: Food Enzymes in the Following Optimal Proportions: Pancreatic Protease 4x ( acid stable ) 297mg, Lipase 125mg, Alpha Amylase 52mg, Amyloglucosidase 12.5mg, Cellulase 5mg, Lactase 5mg, Hemicellulase 2.5mg.

Dosage: Take one capsule with water before each meal.

Contains no artificial preservatives, colour, milk, soya, corn, wheat or yeast.

Description: Swiss Herbal carries a comprehensive range of digestive aids to help relieve gastric distress. Enzymes are the key in digestion which causes the chemical breakdown of foods. Each 500mg capsule contains a broad spectrum blend of the purest grade Food Enzymes to break down protein, fats, carbohydrates, fiber and milk sugar

Prin
November 2nd, 2006, 09:37 PM
Cool. ;)

tarasmom
November 2nd, 2006, 10:44 PM
ok as a human natural heath consultant, my opinion, swiss, is good: on the right track, also get LIVE cultures, ( acidophilous and bifidus, yes must be refirdgerated!!!!!)
also pineapple enzyme( bromelain) is awsome for digestion! I know I recomend all of the above to my human clients.
If anyone ever has questions about any herbs or nutrients I would be more than willing to answer.
Now I know for humans (highly likely the same for dogs) if you have been on any type of antibiotic, it will destroy your natural bacteria in the digestive tract which will allow for an over groth of candida ( YEAsT) THIS IN TURN CAN CAUSE GAS! SMELLY GAS, DIharea(s*), and or constipation ( opps sorry for caps there, damn fingers) and various other digestive problems. In humans the overgrowth of yeast is also highly connected to food allergies!
Something to think about.

tarasmom
November 2nd, 2006, 10:49 PM
sorry forgot to add.....
anything that smells fishy ( unless he has eaten fish of course, is a difinitve sign of either a) candida ( ladies should know this)
or b) bacteria/fungus overgrowth!
Have you thought of a very mild tea tree & soda mix to clean with?
tea tree is an excellent antibacterial/antifungal mixed with soda to kill odor
How big is your dog???? I can give you a formula if you want

ByronsMum
November 3rd, 2006, 07:19 AM
Techno, that is the same brand I purchased. They had a "bonus" amount of pills (12 more than the usual 60, I guess) and I paid $8 for it!! :thumbs up So I will have to rethink the pill giving thing, cus last night I sprinkled it on his food, this morning I dissolved it in water....but now that I KNOW that he should be getting the entire pill form, I will try that. I have given pills to our cats before, so it shouldn't be too too hard to give one to Byron....should it??? :o Anyhoo, THANKS all!!

And tarasmom, Byron is 4 1/2 months old and weighs between 30-35 pounds. I think I will try the digestive enzyme first and see if it makes a difference. If not, back to the drawing board!! But thanks! If I ever have any questions about herbs or nutrients, you will be the person I ask! :D

TeriM
November 5th, 2006, 01:38 AM
I have found the enzymes to be quite helpful in the past. My dog had/has liver problems (5 years ago the vet thought she would pass in about 2 months but did lots of holistic stuff and she is still alive and very healthy). I have used the product Prozyme and you just need to sprinkle it on the food. Here is a link for the product description in case you are interested.
http://www.onlynaturalpet.com/products/Prozyme/228000.aspx

Frenchy
November 5th, 2006, 01:51 AM
I've heard turnip was good for breath and teeth. But you have to be careful not to give too much , can cause explosive diaria ! :eek: My dogs like turnip...

ByronsMum
November 5th, 2006, 07:13 AM
Well, so far, so good!!!! :thumbs up Byron seems to think that the pills are treats and doesn't even need the follow-up REAL treat!! hehehehehe...:D He just takes them into his mouth and swallows in one gulp. Trying to make him drink water just after is the tricky part.

But the gas has pretty much stopped and he doesn't seem interested in eating his poop! I don't want to say this with 100% certainty yet, cus it is only been a couple days...but so far, no poop-eating!!!!! YAAYYYYY!!!!

And his breath is better! Not 100% fish-free, but still waaaay better than it used to be!

Will let you know how things are going a bit later! Hopefully he keeps it up!!!!! :crazy:

Byron says he sends techno lotsa kissies and says THANK YOU!!!!!:dog: :dog: :pawprint:

Skryker
November 5th, 2006, 09:00 AM
Woo hoo! Yay for Byron and :thumbs up for Technodoll!

technodoll
November 5th, 2006, 11:58 AM
hurrah! i'm so very pleased to hear this! keep it up and it should get better with time, too - byron's smoochies were very welcomed, too :crazy:

technodoll
November 10th, 2006, 10:28 PM
BM, how are things going with the DE's? is byron's breath better these days, etc? :)

babyrocky1
November 10th, 2006, 10:39 PM
Its back to the pharmacy for me, thanks again Techno doll!

technodoll
November 10th, 2006, 10:43 PM
babyrocky, i really hope :fingerscr the D.E's will work for your boy!! and if you have any questions, you know where to post them :D

angeldogs
November 11th, 2006, 01:09 AM
So you can give the DE as an everyday supplement.Or just when stinky breath.If they can be given everyday i will pick some up tomorrow

ByronsMum
November 11th, 2006, 08:28 AM
His breath is slowly getting better. It is only now when he barks in your face that you get a whiff of the fishy smell. So definitely some improvement there!!

His poop eating has decreased!! :thumbs up :thumbs up He still goes off and secretly eats some once in a while (my guess is it's in protest cus he wants food) in between lunch and dinnertime.

He still LOOOOOVES the DE pill and thinks it is a treat!

:offtopic: :sorry: Byron was being baby-sat by my mother in law last saturday and she came over to feed him and take him out at lunchtime. She missed my note with detailed instructions that I had left on the table with his DE pills, and when she let Byron out she wasn't sure of what to do. So Byron went and sat next to the table where his DE pills were and barked once. Mum in law finally saw the note and gave him one. Then Byron went and sat by his food bowl and barked once. And she knew to feed him. Then when he was done, he went and sat by the door and barked once. And she took him for a walk. I was LMAO when she told me!!!! Smart puppy!!!! :thumbs up :cloud9: :cloud9:

ByronsMum
November 11th, 2006, 08:30 AM
So you can give the DE as an everyday supplement.Or just when stinky breath.If they can be given everyday i will pick some up tomorrow

Give the DE as it says on the label. Give one a few mins before each meal and then make him drink a little water. :thumbs up

angeldogs
November 11th, 2006, 02:44 PM
Cool i'm going to go buy some thanks.

babyrocky1
January 10th, 2007, 10:08 PM
Well, Im finally back, sorry for the long delay.. I am unfortutely still having problems with Rocky and his gas or loose poo. I ended up switching his food from Wysong to Wellness but I also got him probiotics, and the full spectrum digestive enzymes, (the same bottle as discussed) and I kept him on a bit of the gastro food that you get from the vets... soooo, I now think I overdid everything and although his poops not usually runny now the past few nights his gas has kept both of us up all night... Am I j;ust overdoing it??? I have stopped the acidopholis..sp??? and I dont seem to get the enzyms in him every single time he eats... today I called the Welness "hot line number and the guy told me to give him nothing but the wellness food till he transitions but he is just soooo gasssy and quite frankly I need some sleep! Is there any way the enzymes could be too much for him? Or could it be that hes on two types of food and he hasnt had too much time on the wellness??? A few weeks but not total transitionsed.... ahhhh, Sleepless in Ontario!

Prin
January 10th, 2007, 10:17 PM
I think you need to try new food. :shrug:

technodoll
January 10th, 2007, 10:35 PM
i have heard about alot of dogs that just don't go well on the wellness (no pun intended!). i think a switch is in order... grains are often the culprit of those nasty farts (dogs were never built to digest those fermenting grains) so how about a grainless kibble, if you don't want to feed raw? Just an idea :)