Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Cat urination issue - Help!

silly kitty
November 2nd, 2006, 05:57 AM
Hi there,

I was wondering if anyone can help me with a situation I'm having with 2 of my 3 cats.

About 2 months ago I brought a new cat into the household which already had 2 established cats.

Buddy, the new cat, is a 1 1/2yr neutered male and Lucy is our spayed 8 yr old. Lucy from the get go has always been a bit shy and timid. Buddy on the other hand has the energy of a youngster along with the stubborness too.

The problem at hand is that until recently, Lucy has just "tolerated" Buddy (who by the way gets along great with my other spayed 9 yr old). On Monday morning my husband and I woke up to find that Lucy had urinated on the bed. While my husband and I were getting ready for work that same morning, there had been a second accident on the bed within a matter of a 30 minutes. Lucy has been withdrawn, and not her typical self over the past week or so.

When Buddy plays, he tends to charge the other cats and then runs away, and "never knows when to stop". We've tried a waterbottle to discourage him from "bothering" Lucy - to no success.

My question, what can I do for this problem? From what I can piece together and from what I've seen, it seems that Lucy has only done this when she is taken by total surprise from Buddy. Lucy and our 3rd cat Diva get along fine with no problems. Can anyone suggest anything?

Sincerely,

Laura

PS - Vets' appointment already booked to rule out UTI.

badger
November 2nd, 2006, 09:18 AM
If this is recent (the last week), I'm betting it's a UTI, perhaps brought on by stress.
Even though - barring serious aggression or stalking - it's best to let cats work things out, Lucy sounds as if she needs a leg up. When you go out, I would confine her in a room or part of the house by herself, with a litterbox, just to give her a break. When you are there, make a point of firmly shooing the male away from 'her' space. Forget the spray bottle, just do it casually. He'll lose interest.
Also try Rescue Remedy in their drinking water. It's a herbal calmant, non-toxic, in the Bach Flower Remedy line, available at health food stores. It is sometimes quite effective, but subtle, don't expect suddenly dozy kitties.
Encourage play in the male - laser tag, bouncing balls, whatever wears him out. If she swats him or spits at him, let her, he needs to learn that she's not looking for a close relationship, although tolerance is to be encouraged.
Good luck.

silly kitty
November 3rd, 2006, 10:31 AM
Badger,

Thanks for the info in your post. Sounds like good advise and seems to fit the bill. Will definitely try your suggestions.:cat:

-Laura

jawert1
November 3rd, 2006, 11:27 AM
I hope you also take her to the vet to be sure, a UTI is not something that can be remedied at home :)

Sweetgrass
November 3rd, 2006, 12:15 PM
Hello.....

I also agree about taking her to the vet.......peeing is usually a sign they are trying to tell you something...it would be good to rule out anything medical and then tackle the behaviour.....

Is your cat eating and drinking normally?

Kimmee