- Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 


worried for friend's constipated cat, PLEASE HELP

November 2nd, 2006, 12:44 AM
Hi, I'm new to this forum and am extremely concerned for my friend's cat. He was my cat for the first year but unfortunately I moved to a place I couldn't have him. He's 2 yrs old and has generally been fine until this past weekend. Bosco's owner has one of my dog's puppies and noticed that she had worms. His mom gave him some "Strongid* T" which is pyrantel pamoate - a parasite medication for horses and said it could be used in small amounts on cats and dogs. I read the side panel and it said 5ml/45lbs. I visited today and he was extremely lethargic and hadn't pooped much although has been trying (a lot). I was there for less than an hour and he tried 2 times. He also won't put his bum on the floor, only stands or lays down. When i picked him up, his tummy was hard and it seemed like he was pushing a lot (like he was having a baby). I am wondering if he was fed too much worm medication or if there is a larger problem. I was also informed that someone gave him a small piece of Exlax recently. They changed residences on Monday and Bos started having problems Tuesday. They don't have any money for the vet and I would lend but don't get paid until Friday. Will he be ok until then?
I appreciate any help.
KrIsten:fingerscr :fingerscr :fingerscr :fingerscr

November 2nd, 2006, 12:59 AM
No, I don't think he will. I think he needed a vet a while ago.

November 2nd, 2006, 01:02 AM
I haven't much experience with cats, but I think you need to get that cat to a vet as soon as possible. This sounds serious--not like something that can wait. Maybe there's a vet in your area that would be willing to accept some sort of payment plan?

November 2nd, 2006, 01:11 AM
I will call tommorow and see if they could wait until Friday to get paid. I just hope Bos-man will be ok. Do you think it has anything to do with the Strongid*T? They said they gave him like a drop but he is a small cat maybe only 6 or 7 lbs.

November 2nd, 2006, 01:18 AM
:sorry: Don't know--I've never heard of it before. Sorry. Make sure you let the vet know everything that Bos has been given.

Good luck. :fingerscr Hope Bos gets better soon!

Please let us know how it goes at the vet.

November 2nd, 2006, 01:29 AM
The animal may not have till tomorrow. Likely needed an emergency vet before now.

November 2nd, 2006, 02:31 AM
It is never ever a good idea to medicate a cat yourself. Now this poor animal has been given two very strong medications by apparently ignorant people and is suffering even more. If he isn't dead already, he should be seen by an emergency vet right away and the vet should be informed exactly what he has been given to cause this.
You obviously care very much about Bosco. If he survives, I would take him back and find another home. He is at risk where he is.

November 2nd, 2006, 04:53 AM
Thank you all for your contributions. I am working a midnight shift and get off at 8am. I will call my vet after that and hopefully post an update this evening. I would love to find a new home for him but unfortunately I'm not sure where to turn. All of the people that I know that would be suitable already have too many pets. (They all live in apartments) Is there any sort of online adoption program that could find a place for him that would be near me?

November 2nd, 2006, 08:33 AM
Here are some rescue groups in New Brunswick. Call at least the ones closest to you and explain the situation. Tell them you think the cat is at risk and you really need to get him out of there. If you're the one taking the cat to the vet (if possible, go anyway), ask the vet if s/he has any ideas. Sometimes vets work with rescues.
In the interim, could you not sneak him into your apartment for a few days? If anyone questions you, you could say it is an emergency and only temporary.
Good luck. Bosco is lucky to have you looking out for him.

November 2nd, 2006, 12:21 PM
I hope he's at an emergency vet/rescue/spca by now. If you can't take care of pets it's best to give them up to someone who can or give them to the spca (especially if they are having an emergency medical issue) so they don't have to suffer like this. Good luck, I hope you can save him.:pray:

[edit] Sometimes at emergency animal hospitals they don't ask for payment until time of release and in Bosco's case he will likely need to stay over night or longer.

November 2nd, 2006, 02:49 PM
Please get the cat to a vet ASAP. Something like this can kill them very quickly.

November 2nd, 2006, 04:52 PM
Please ensure this cat gets to the vet and post back with an update. This thread will now be closed.