Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Dog fight

DAWNNOELL
February 24th, 2004, 02:33 PM
I have 4 Boxers 3 females and 1 male. 2 of my Females are spayed and one is a 14 week old puppy who will be spayed when she is older. The 2 adult females fight alot they don't seem to get along. Sometimes they are talerant of each other and get along ok but latly they have been fighting. The older is 2 and she is the aggresser more time than not. It starts when the 1 1/2 year old is playing around with the puppy or playing with the male but sometimes she can just be walking by the older female. Today they got into an all out huge fight. It took me dunping 3 huge pitchers of water on them in my living room to stop them and beable to pull Valkyrie (older female) off Ellie. Ellie is all cut up and bleeding nothing too deep but you can tell she got her but kicked scrapes and cuts all over her face and neck. How do I get my dogs to get along. I love both and dosnt want to get rid of any of them but also can't have blood and water all over my living room carpet. Any suggestions on getting two dogs who hate each other to like each other. I have had Valkyrie for about 2 years now and Ellie for 11 1/2 months. Valkyrie gets along with our male and puppy. Valkyrie is only mean to the puppy(My son named her Cookie) is when she tries to eat from Valkyries food bowl. Ellie and Cookie get along great they play fight every now and then but even sleep in the same crate at night by choice. I need to know if there is any chanve the 2 older females will ever get along. Thor my male gets along with all 3 females and is very easy going. Please any suggestions on getting the 2 females to get along is needed.

Lucky Rescue
February 24th, 2004, 02:43 PM
Not only is it possible that they will never get along, it's also quite possible this will get worse.

Some of the worst and bloodiest fights are between spayed bitches, fighting for dominance. This can be very serious as you see.

You cannot make your dogs like each other, but you may be able to make them understand that fighting is not allowed when you are present. Make sure they are well trained, and know all thier commands very well. You can also figure out which one is actually dominant, and feed, pet and give treats to that one first.

Do NOT give them any high value treats when they are together, and make sure you separate them when you go out, and also when they eat. Do not take any chances.

As the 1 1/2 year dog gets older, you may have to keep them separate 24 hours a day.

This is a good time to decide if you are prepared to do that, and if not you might consider rehoming one of them. You have to also realize this may get worse when the 10 week old puppy grows up - you may have 3 dogs fighting then.

mona_b
February 24th, 2004, 02:43 PM
Oh wow.
You have your hands full don't you?

I wish I can help you.But I know there will be others who can.

But the one thing I do know,is that 2 females together are worse then 2 males.

I have 2 males and they have not once got into a deep scrap.

Don't worry,the experts will be along to help you.:)

mona_b
February 24th, 2004, 02:44 PM
Ok,I think I type to slow.....LOL

Luba
February 25th, 2004, 12:16 AM
LR is right this situation could get much worse!

How did you come into all 4 dogs? I've heard of some very horrible things between females of the same age grouping.

Not a pretty site!

DAWNNOELL
February 25th, 2004, 06:27 AM
How I came about all 4 dogs? Thats a good question. My male is turning 5 next month and I got him as soon as we got a house with a fenced in backyard as growing up I always wanted a dog and my parents never keep puppys/dogs more that a few month. I told myself I would never do that to my dogs and waited till I could afford and could take care of one before I got a dog. Valkyrie(oldest female) I got as a mate for Thor my male. After the first litter of 9 puppies I realised how uneducated and how haard and how little money if you take care of puppies and mom right and decided there was way too many dogs in the world as there is. She was a horable mom not wanting to feed the puppies I hand feed them all and all 9 lived, so got her fixed 9 weeks ago. I learned too late but at lest I learned. My vet was the one who suggested a mate for thor. I have since changed vets. Thats how we got Cookie our puppy. Ellie our 1 1/2 year old is Valkyries sister different litters. Ellie was 5 months old living in a crate only let out 2 times a day for about 10 mins to use the bathroom. She had mange that they were not taking care of. I saw her and had to pay the owner way more than I should have for her but I had to get her out of that inviroment. Ellie is now 18 months old. Valkyrie is 31 Months old. They will get along sometimes I don't want to have to rehome any of them. Pluss in my area I'm afraid to whom I could find to take one. If I did deside to rehome one wich one would it be best to rehome. Ellie or Valkyrie. If I kept Valkyrie whould she be aggressive to Cookie as Cookie got older? Elli I would have to say is more of a likeable dog she and my husband are very close run every morning play fech. Valkyrie hates to run refuses to play catch put is a very loving dog to me. Loves to be petted thinks she is a lap dog.

LavenderRott
February 25th, 2004, 06:49 AM
Hate to say it, but chances are the fights will get worse. And bitches don't mess around, they have a tendency to fight to kill.

Your best bet would be to rehome one. Or you could keep them seperated 100% of the time.

If you decide to rehome, see if you can go through a rescue group. Maybe they have someone who has had a home visit and the vet checks and stuff done that would make a great home for one of your girls.

Just a thought.

DAWNNOELL
February 25th, 2004, 07:01 AM
Dose anyone know the number for a boxer rescue in Eastern NC or any good rescue in NC? How do I go about finding a rescue to help me place her?

LavenderRott
February 25th, 2004, 07:27 AM
I don't have time to do a search right now, but you can start with your local breed club. You can find that on the AKC's website.

Lucky Rescue
February 25th, 2004, 10:55 AM
Here is NC Boxer rescue;
Here (http://www.jlhweb.net/Boxermap/US/nc.html)

mona_b
February 25th, 2004, 11:09 AM
Question.Is you male neutered?

DAWNNOELL
February 25th, 2004, 12:50 PM
Yes our male is nutered as of about 4 months ago.

mona_b
February 25th, 2004, 12:52 PM
You have any pics of your gang?.....:D

DAWNNOELL
February 25th, 2004, 01:51 PM
This is my male Thor and the puppy Cookie. Taken about 2 to 3 weeks ago. I just love this picture. I will try to get a pictures of all later after my camera battery charge.

mona_b
February 25th, 2004, 01:59 PM
OMG...........

That is just an adorable pic........Definately a Kodak moment.:D

Luba
March 3rd, 2004, 07:52 PM
Adorable, wish I could help take one off your hands

Have u contacted rescue link that LR posted?