Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Cheap & easy crockpot recipe for the dogs

Esaunders
November 1st, 2006, 08:01 PM
After reading about crockpot cooking making chicken bones completely crushable, I decided to give it a try.

Here's the resulting recipe that has the fussy pup over the moon

I put chicken leg quarters & backs in the crockpot for around 18 hours (i.e. put them in before bed and take them out after work)

Add to crockpot and cook on low for 18hrs +
- 3 lbs chicken leg quarters ($4.47)
- 1 lb pork liver ($1.29)
- 1 tsp garlic powder ($0.05?)
- Enough water to almost fill crockpot

Remove chicken & bones into a bowl

Add
- Approx 2/3 the quantity of rice as water remaining in crock pot (or preferred carbohydrate source) ($0.62)
- 2/3 cup dry mix of peas, lentils, corn (if desired, or other preferred veg mix. Not onions) I used Bob's Red Mill Veg Soup mix ($0.65)
- Add 1 1/2 cups additional water (if using rice or other dried grain source)

Crush chicken & bones thoroughly and re-add to crock pot
Let cook until mushy and water is mostly absorbed

I've got a huge crockpot, the entire recipe nearly fills it for less the $7.10. That's SO much better than the nearly $3/can for Merricks canned food.

Gotta love Highland Farms for good meat prices. I'm seriously considering home-cooking from now on...

technodoll
November 1st, 2006, 08:09 PM
and chicken legs are on sale here at IGA for 0.69/lbs this week :D

your recipe sounds yummy, and definitely price-savvy! bravo! :highfive:

(not to threadjack but hubby is picking up a box of raw chicken frames on Friday, costs $8 for 35 lbs, then saturday we chop and grind them and freeze in big baggies, it'll take about 2 hours for the whole thing but then we have enough calcium-rich mix for a looong time, and cheap too! i picked up some ground pork at Maxi tonight (0.97/lbs) and it's a change from the ground beef... add the ground raw chicken frames and voila! pre-made raw ground food that is perfect for mixing with raw eggs, offal bits, baby-food veggies, canned fish or raw fishie bits, etc...

if you home-cook, you will have a BALL! :crazy: