- Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 


Hi, I'm new! Nice to meet you!

November 1st, 2006, 04:00 PM
I was browsing through other forums to see if I could find any answers to my questions and this one seemed to be the best one to find out any information I might need.

I have an 8 month old Pointer/Rott mix and I don't exactly have the money to take her to the vet and I was hoping her symptoms were just a one day thing, but it has been 3 days I believe.

The first night she just threw up a little water and I didn't think anything of it, I just thought she drank too much. Then I woke up and she had thrown up one more time in the living room and also had had diarrhea in the kitchen, but she didn't seem too sick. Then later that evening I noticed she wasn't eating anything and usually she eats anything she can get her paws on.

This morning I woke up and she had again left diarrhea in the kitchen and also it looks like she threw up on 8 different occassions. Most were just water and saliva I believe. Some had some undigested food in it and a little grass, but most was just clear liquid.

Also this morning she was salivating frequently and she was shaking a bit. I thought maybe it was because it was cold out, but my other two small dogs weren't shivering at all.

So she's not eating, she's throwing up, not keeping any food down, and she has loose bowel movements. I don't have a car to get me to the vet and was wondering wether or not this would pass or if I seriously need to rush her to the vet. Please help. Thank you!!!

November 1st, 2006, 04:05 PM
omg, I'm sorry, but your dog needs a vet right away! Puking and diarrhea together always means a vet visit is needed. Good luck.:fingerscr

November 1st, 2006, 05:00 PM
Yes I figured she needed a vet. I don't have the car right now or I'd be rushing her there. The diarhea is really infrequent, but the throwing up, she can't even keep water down. I've been crying all morning. It sucks when you are in a financial bind. I've been searching through vets that will take payments. Hopefully I will get lucky. Thank you again.

November 1st, 2006, 08:10 PM
Give your local humane shelter/ASPCA a call and ask them if they can recommend a low cost vet service. The local shelter's number should be in the gov't pages of your phone book. Please get her help immediately and let us know how she fares :pawprint:

November 2nd, 2006, 05:54 PM
She has Parvo which is what I was afraid of, we found a vet who would let us make payments over a three month period, which is good because it can cost anywhere from $800-$900 or more depending on how long they are keeping her. She's been on fluids all day and will be on them all night. They said she's been looking around more and more alert, sitting up, and picking up her head a lot more. She was very dehydrated, but the vet said she had seen many cases that were much worse and that we had a lot to hope for. She hasn't thrown up all day, but she has had loose stool. Hopefully they can start her on some food tomorrow and get her healthier.

We have two other dogs as well and they told me to bleach where Lucy has been, but I can't put bleach on the carpet. I am however going to spray my yard tomorrow with a bleach water solution and hope that my other two dogs don't catch it. They are a bit older than Lucy so hopefully their immune system will hold up and they won't catch it. Here's keeping my fingers crossed until I can go get them vaccinated in 2 weeks.

Thank you for your input, it was greatly appreciated.

November 2nd, 2006, 08:38 PM
oh! poor girl :(

sooo happy you found a good, sympathetic vet who could offer you payment plans and that your girl is doing better! thanks for bringing her in :angel:

when she is better, we'd love to see a photo or two of your gang! :)