Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

The mirror test

Kristin7
November 1st, 2006, 10:39 AM
I found this article interesting, although not sure I believe this is the only way to tell if an animal is 'self-aware'. Who thinks their cat or dog is 'self-aware'? Why? I tried to see if one of my cats would recognize herself in the mirror and she certainly didn't think she was looking at another cat. In fact, she was completely uninterested in looking at the mirror. If she had thought another cat was there, she probably would have reacted, as she can be quite territorial. I have seen kittens try and play with their image in a mirror, but only the first time they see a mirror. After that, they seem to catch on that they aren't seeing another cat. Not sure if they know they are looking at themselves, though. Thoughts?

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20061031/ap_on_sc/self_aware_elephant

Maya
November 1st, 2006, 04:56 PM
My last kitty always looked around himself in the mirror, it was almost like he couldn't see himself at all. He looked interested in the possibility of another room he could go into though, scanning all around his reflection. Maybe on some level they know it's their reflection but don't think further to be interested in say looking inside their own mouth?

Kristin7
November 2nd, 2006, 09:22 AM
Yes, I suspect they may know it's their reflection, they just don't care to look at themselves. Maybe they aren't as vain as we think, ha ha!

Cathy1
November 2nd, 2006, 10:32 AM
I really don't know if they know they are looking at themselves or not. When Duke looks into a mirror he growls and hides, but Jasper just sits there and stares. My cat Zoey sits on my dresser, looking in the mirror and washes herself every morning.:D