Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

new cat/existing cat urination issues at hand

silly kitty
November 1st, 2006, 08:44 AM
Can anyone help me???

I have 2 cats that I love dearly and about 2 months ago my husband and I introduced a 3rd cat to the bunch - now consisting of 2 females and 1 male who are all fixed. We are having issues with 1 of the older cats. For the past 2 months "lucy" and "buddy" (the new cat), have been just "tolerating" one another. Buddy is about 11/2yrs and lucy is about 8. Recently one morning, we came across a giant urine accident (on our bed), And while we were getting ready for work in the morning we noticed a second accident too. We have determined that it is the older cat Lucy having these accidents. Can anyone suggest anything? Buddy is quite a playful and sometimes aggressively playful cat and we are wondering if this is why Lucy is having this issue. Before we got Buddy, Lucy was already a shy and timid girl - but affectionate and loving. Now she barely comes out from underneath the couch or futon.

Any advice/help would be greatly appreciated.

vfrohloff
November 1st, 2006, 10:12 AM
Well, a couple of things come to mind, the first of which is to take the cat to the vet. Sounds like she could have a UTI and needs to be checked out.

silly kitty
November 1st, 2006, 12:59 PM
Thanks for the input. Have vet appointment set for the weekend. I everything checks out fine, do you have any other suggestions by any chance?

Thanks

-L

Prin
November 1st, 2006, 01:01 PM
UTI or bladder infection sounds most probable to me too... If you have the funds, maybe because of her age, I'd get a full blood panel too, just to make sure the kidneys are working properly and everything else is fine too.

Maya
November 1st, 2006, 01:17 PM
It could be a number of things like diabetes, kidney failure, UTI, etc.. Is it possible one of the other cat's disturbed her while she was trying to pee? If she is developing health issues then it may have been too difficult for her to hold long enough to get back to the litter box. (was the box dirty at the time?) You may also need to get more litter boxes and possibly separate Lucy some of the time with her own so she has some peace and quiet.

MartiniGIrl
November 1st, 2006, 01:18 PM
IMO it sounds like she's upset about the new cat, and therefore, her 'accidents' are definitely not 'accidents'. I've introduced new cats into the household many times over the years while having an older cat already in the house and have seen this happen.

While it's always good to get your older cat checked out, I wouldnt be surprised if its an anger issue, at having a new intruder in the house.... especially given how she doesnt come out as often as she did before.

It's only been two months, trust me, that's not that long. I have 3 new foster kittens in my home and my own cats are just starting to put up with them, and it's been almost 3 months now.

I say just make sure you give your older cats lots of extra attention, pets and talks. Make sure you give her some of your undivided attention without the other cats in the room.

chico2
November 1st, 2006, 04:11 PM
I agree with Martinigirl,your older cat is stressed by the newcomer,cats often show their displeasure by urinating on things.
I was away for 2 weeks,my son staying with the cats,one of them peed on my bed,probably out of frustration having his habits changed.
He's back to normal now,when we are back.Don't allow the new kitty to harass her,she has to have a place where she is left in peace.
I don't know how many litter-boxes you have,but if she does not like the new cat,she probably also don't like the smell of him in the box.
She will eventually have to accept the fact this new kitty is staying,same as my Chico with Vinnie.
I still would have her checked out for UTI,have a blood and urine-sample taken,just to be sure there are no medical problems.

silly kitty
November 2nd, 2006, 11:03 AM
:cat: I want to say thanks for all the advice and info I have received since posting my issue.

I have 3 litter boxes for 3 cats and they are scooped 2x a day and a good clean/wash every Saturday. Lucy also has no issue (that we can tell) about using the same litter box as the new cat. She uses all 3. It seems more like a territory/anger issue than a litter box/health issue to me. But like I mentioned earlier, we are still taking her to the vet on the weekend.

My husband and I have already begun giving Lucy more "special" attention - talking to her more, petting and cuddling her more and grooming her more as she loves that.

My husband thinks it's going to come down to getting rid of one of the 2 cats - which I don't agree with. I think the issue can be solved - we just need to find a solution that's going to work the best for everyone. And this is where you knid people come in to play.