Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Cat with skin lesions getting Biopsy, but have questions (graphic picture, sorry)

Lilly
October 31st, 2006, 11:40 PM
Thanks for the help

Maya
November 1st, 2006, 02:50 AM
Hi Lilly,

I wonder if this is what it is? http://www.peteducation.com/article.cfm?cls=1&cat=1317&articleid=254
Good thing you'll know soon, it looks painful.:sad: I have no idea if cancer can look like that, most cancer i've seen has been more "tumor like" raised or black, I think it can even be crusty. This looks slimy, lets hope there aren't any cancer's that look like that. :fingerscr

chico2
November 1st, 2006, 07:25 AM
Lilly,I am really sorry and it certainly looks absolutely painful and horrible.
It looks like what Maya posted.
:fingerscr that you'll get some answers and can begin proper treatment.
I do not believe smoke has anything to do with it,but mold can be very bad both to cats and humans.
I would print out what Maya posted and show it to the vet,I don't think it looks like cancer,but of course I don't know for sure.
Godd Luck with your kitty and please keep us updated:fingerscr

Shaykeija
November 1st, 2006, 04:37 PM
that my dear is one nasty abscess. Piper used to get them from other cats. They used to beat the tar out of him. If I did not catch it quick enough bang, big assed ugly mother of a pus filled hole. I hope your vet pit him on a strong broad spec antibiotic.

Maya
November 1st, 2006, 08:21 PM
That's a lot of vet visits in a short time without any answers. I'm surprised they tested for ringworm, it doesn't look like ringworm that i've seen.:confused: I wonder what they are planning to test her for? Why hasn't she been tested for lots of stuff already after all those visits? Also it might not be a safe time to have the teeth taken out while she is still undiagnosed with these lesions, her immune system is already having to work overtime to heal.

It seems to me they should be resolving the sores before pulling teeth. Sorry, I hope i'm not making it more complicated. I'm just getting a "get a second vets opinion vibe" from what you've posted so far.

I hope things work out okay. :fingerscr

p.s. With regard to the article about Crypto... it stated "40% had skin lesions" Do you know if there can be skin lesions without nasal involvement?

[edit] I just read over and see why you had her tested for ringworm. :P

chico2
November 2nd, 2006, 07:30 AM
Lilly,I hope you get some answers soon,several vet-visits with no answers is very stressful both to your poor kitty and your pocketbook.
I too am surprised the vet is even thinking of pulling teeth,when there is no answers to her main problem,unless she is in pain from abcessed teeth.
My Rocky was resently diagnosed with Hyperthyroidism,he had all the classical symptoms and is on meds for the rest of his life(he's 11yrs).
I was pleased to have an answer to his problems,but the vet now wants to have him x-rayed,plus put him on pain-meds,THINKING he might be arthritic in his backlegs.
I can't help getting the feeling I am beeing milked,because she knows how much Rocky means to me,the first visit was close to $400.
I would do anything for Rocky,as I am sure you would for your girl,but before I spend an additional $500 I want to have a reasonable explanation as to why.
Your kitty of course is different,they still don't know what's wrong.Beeing a vet is probably not easy,since unlike humans animals cannot tell you what's wrong and the only thing they can do is tests and more tests.
Bad teeth can cause a lot of problems,can even become fatal,but I doubt it has anything to do with the horrible leisions.
I really feel for you and your girl and hope there will be a solution soon.:cat:

Maya
November 3rd, 2006, 07:16 PM
Hmm I don't know about your vet, i'd call around and see if there are any others that seem better. Odd they left smelly stuff on her for so long and they made a rather poor estimate too. It doesn't look like Eosinophila granuloma complex from what I googled either.

In the mean time while you are still looking for a diagnosis maybe try some immune support, kitty vitamins or something to strengthen her while she's fighting this. Probiotics could help establish some good bacteria on her skin, worth a try. Try looking up Dr. Pitcairn for some natural health support ideas as well if you can. You might even be able to find a better and cheaper holistc diet in the food forum. Vet foods are costly and not always better.

There was recently some talk about being a vet assistant here,
http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=31755&highlight=vet+assistant

Lots of luck for you and your kitty.:fingerscr

chico2
November 4th, 2006, 05:01 PM
Lilly,if she had really painful bad teeth,I am sure she now feels 100% better,at first I thought it was a bad idea,but if she seems happier it was definetly money well spent.
Now we can just wait and hope the testresults shows what the problem is, hopefully nothing serious:fingerscr :pray:
Don't forget to keep us posted:)

Maya
November 4th, 2006, 06:26 PM
It's good to hear she feels better after the extractions, they must have really needed to come out. I hope you learn what the lesions are soon and that they are easily treated.:fingerscr Please give an update when you can, i'd like to know how things work out for you. Best of luck.:pawprint:

Maya
November 8th, 2006, 07:00 PM
It is great to know that it isn't cancer or some weird fungus but I do know that being on steroids can not always be that great.

That's good it's not cancer. If it's of unknown origin I wonder how they know it's not fungus though? I did a search and didn't turn anything useful up but i'll keep my eyes open. Steroids may help for a while, as you know probably not good for the long term due to side effects. Perhaps a second opinion is a good idea if the slides are all set to go. I guess it depends if you can manage the cost and want to give it another try. At the very least it might rule more things out. Hopefully someone else has solved this problem or something similar and can offer advice on a new thread. Maybe it will just heal up and never come back.:) :fingerscr Good kitty is feeling better anyway.:cat: Thanks for the update!!!