Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

My dog doesn't know he's a dog!!

bmerc
October 31st, 2006, 05:19 PM
Hi everyone, I was wondering if someone had some tried and true methods of socializing adult dogs with other dogs. Here's some background info. I have a pug who is 4 yrs old. He was well socialized to different people and places as a pup.....he can go anywhere, and loves meeting people....everyone is his new best friend, but....when he encounters another dog he is frightened. If it is a large dog, or assertive dog he is downright shaking. As a pup he had few opportunities to meet dogs, there were none in my building and none of my friends had one. I take him often to pet stores that allow dogs and train them, dog parks, to friends' homes that have calm, friendly dogs and he is either afraid or curious but cries instead of approaching. If a dog approaches to sniff his rear he sits down. He never sniffs at them either. Is it too late to socialize him???? What other options do I have???

x.l.r.8
October 31st, 2006, 07:08 PM
I have one of those assertive dogs and only last week we were coming out of a training class and he barked at another small dog who also started shaking. Luckily I think I know my dog well enough and had him sit striaght down, then gave him some leash and he crept forward and started sniffing. I know Riley will lay down and let other dogs climb over him and that is exactly wht he did, the other dog stopped shaking and seeing no threat aproached him and stopped shaking. It was nice to see. I think your only way out is to ensure he mixes with people who know there dogs (porbably best to stay away form dog parks as most who go there are great owners but you only need one to destroy the expierience), best save that to later, possibly OB class to mix with other dogs and, as there is a teacher there, they should recognise any assertive behaviour before it gets out of hand, possibly size your boy up with another dog and have them play after class.

pug lover
October 31st, 2006, 07:18 PM
my pug doesnt know she is a D O G either...... not such a bad thing
:frustrated: and she flunked out of puppy school she just wanted to hide under a chair the whole time :rolleyes:

Lissa
November 1st, 2006, 09:46 AM
I do not think it has anything to do with your dog not knowing that he's a dog:p IMO its down to lack of socialization and/or unpleasant experiences with other dogs.

I don't think that taking him to pet stores and dog parks are the best ideas right now - I imagine its over-stimulating for your little guy and only increases his fear. You have to be careful that your dog doesn't get so fearful that he learns to growl/snap/lunge/bite in defense.

You are right to find calm and friendly dogs but at this point he should never be forced to greet them (I wouldn't be bringing him into their house or allowing them into his house). Another option is to find a dog that has absolutely no interest in your dog and will ignore him - so your dog doesn't feel forced to socialized and just gets used to having another dog nearby.
At this point I would praise and reward whenever he sees another dog, the idea is the create positive feelings for him when he encounters what scares him. It would also be a good idea to find out how far away from another dog he needs to be to feel comfortable. You don't want other dogs any closer to him than that at first, you need to slowly work towards having them approach each other (without greeting at first).

bmerc
November 1st, 2006, 12:33 PM
:offtopic: my pug doesnt know she is a D O G either...... not such a bad thing
:frustrated: and she flunked out of puppy school she just wanted to hide under a chair the whole time :rolleyes:

I think pugs get a bad rap for their intelligence, I've read and been told (by vets, groomers etc.) that they are hard to train, and find this completely untrue! My boy is well-trained, awesome manners around the house, he's litter-trained, and knows the names of his immense toy collection. Pugs are smart, just not always convinced they should do everything they're told.:)

OntarioGreys
November 2nd, 2006, 08:26 PM
ZTaske him to OB classes, it will give him a chance to be around dogs in a controlled setting, the more often he is expose the better he will become, let the trainer know ahead of time, maybe she can put him in a class with dogs closer to his own size