Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Cat chewing cords - HELP!

Lady Anastasia
October 31st, 2006, 02:10 PM
Hello,

My kitty (8months) is chewing on all cords, strings and anything alike. While this is not a problem with hair bands, clothing strings, etc., it is definitely NOT OK on electrical and other (audio, usb, mouse) cords!!!

We tried rubbing all the wires with lemon peel, lemon juice, lime juice (I thought cats hate citrus) and even cayenne pepper. None of these worked! I don't know what to do about this.... :sad:

FYI: her teeth have changed just fine (about 2-3 months ago), she has a lot of toys, she has a couple of scratch posts with sisal rope wrapped around as well as rope handles on the floor, she has a tall cat tree (which she absolutely loves!) with a sisal rope w/toy hanging from the top (she chews on it, so this is an option for her, it's not like she hates sisal).... Hence, I don't think that she's chewing on cords becuase there's nothing else....

Unfortunately, I cannot watch her all the time (working), so I cannot catch her in the act and discipline every time. Besides, I'd like her to stop doing it, not just when I'm there.

I really-really need HELP with this!!! Does anyone have any suggestions? I'd appreciate any advice.

Thanks.

Maya
October 31st, 2006, 02:53 PM
There is a plastic sort of coil stuff, sorry I don't know the proper name but I have some laying around that came with computer stuff my bf ordered a while back. It just slips over wires and it's really thick clear flexible plastic. Anything you can't hide, cover with carpet or tape out of reach could probably be kitten proofed with it. Maybe if you asked around at places like Futureshop or Radio Shack etc. they might be able to give you some. I'm not sure if you can buy it or not, it might be more of a packaging material.

While this is not a problem with hair bands, clothing strings, etc.,

Do be sure to keep this stuff out of reach too, it could be VERY DANGEROUS if swallowed.

Good luck.

jessi76
October 31st, 2006, 02:58 PM
try vicks vapo rub.

also, wrap cords in towels. I stuffed behind all electronics with old beach towels, old bath towels, extra (throw) pillows, etc... my home looked kinda silly with towels stuffed behind the tv's and stereo's - but once my kitty was past the "get into real trouble" stage, I no longer needed them.

I also blocked access to these areas as best as I could - squishing throw pillows in will help block the wires.

tie up any wire "extra" with twist ties. tape the wires to the back of the unit, or along the wall or baseboardsif you can (use electrical tape). basically so the wire isn't exposed, and is taped down so it's not fun to play with.

Dwight
July 6th, 2008, 08:37 PM
Havee you tried the sour apple spray that you can get at the pet storeI heard it works well, or try a bit of hot sauce, not too much tough

Joeyjoejoe
July 6th, 2008, 10:57 PM
There is a plastic sort of coil stuff, sorry I don't know the proper name but I have some laying around that came with computer stuff my bf ordered a while back. It just slips over wires and it's really thick clear flexible plastic.

I think you're talking about cord covers or wire looms. onster does a great review on two types of cord covers made for pets.

http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=52218

A cheaper alternative is this:
http://www.cabletiesandmore.ca/blackloom.php

The problem with this is the wire loom is not snug to the wire. Over time the loom will shift and expose the wire. Also it's not as esthetically nice as the clear cord covers mentioned in the link.

My beef is why is it $28 for 30' ChewSafe in Canada and $20 for 30' ChewSafe in the US from the same company! :frustrated:

bubbles007
August 3rd, 2008, 01:29 AM
My cat used to do this as well, in fact i think thats why he ended up at the animal shelter. He chewed through ethernet and phone cords, speakers cable and electrical cords. But he out grew it, plus you have to let your cat know that is not acceptable.