Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Link to the 2006 AAHA Canine Vaccine Guidelines

Esaunders
October 31st, 2006, 11:52 AM
Hi All,

Here's the link to the 2006 AAHA (American Animal Hospital Association) Canine Vaccine Guidelines.

It includes the revised schedule of when vaccines should be given according to the new protocols, instead of the yearly recommendations. It also includes which vaccines are NOT recommended due to risk or lack of efficacy.

It is downloadable, so may be stored for future reference.
Erica

http://www.aahanet.org/About_aaha/vaccine_guidelines06.pdf

technodoll
October 31st, 2006, 11:59 AM
cool! thanks for posting that!

i wish they had a "summary" in there (or did i miss it?) instead of those lengthly charts, would be easier to memorize & share the info...

dakotah had his "booster shot" and rabies vaccine at 16 months of age, and nothing since (he will be 3 years old this winter). he'll be due for another rabies shot at 4 years of age but nothing else. Maika finished her puppy shots at 5 months old, so she'll get her "booster" at 17 months of age, and then same protocol... i am SO TOTALLY against over-vaccinations! :thumbs up

hazelrunpack
October 31st, 2006, 12:08 PM
cool! thanks for posting that!

i wish they had a "summary" in there (or did i miss it?) instead of those lengthly charts, would be easier to memorize & share the info...

dakotah had his "booster shot" and rabies vaccine at 16 months of age, and nothing since (he will be 3 years old this winter). he'll be due for another rabies shot at 4 years of age but nothing else. Maika finished her puppy shots at 5 months old, so she'll get her "booster" at 17 months of age, and then same protocol... i am SO TOTALLY against over-vaccinations! :thumbs up

do you guys have parvo up there? The parvo and Lyme's both kill the wolves down here...and dogs, too...

technodoll
October 31st, 2006, 12:12 PM
not to my knowledge, no... and parvo is primarily dangerous to small puppies, some breeds are more prone to catching it than others apparently :shrug:

it's pretty good here, no rabies, lyme disease worth mentioning, etc... i guess the long cold winter months have alot to do with that, LOL!

Prin
October 31st, 2006, 12:47 PM
They found a rabid skunk in DDO, eh Techno... It might be coming back. Plus the eastern townships is having a rabid raccoon issue too...

So every three years for everything except Lepto.:shrug:

technodoll
October 31st, 2006, 01:01 PM
nasty skunks! :frustrated: and it was the vet who told me "no rabies cases", eh? i guess they don't watch the news either, LOL!

i'll stick with the rabies every 3 years cuz if something ever happens to the beanies, i have proof they are "safe" and not a danger to the public... but after the 1 year booster shot, no more vaccines for them, it's not needed IMO. when we start vaccinating children over and over for the same things, then i might reconsider :)

Esaunders
October 31st, 2006, 01:22 PM
Actually, I have a pdf basic summary.

PM me with email addresses if you want a copy.