Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

**help** Dog Bite

Tommy
October 31st, 2006, 10:40 AM
Hello

I was woundering if anyone in this forum would be able to help me out in a situation that my dog and myself are in.

We are going to be going to court in November for a incedent that had occured where my dog had bit another dog. The papers that we had gotton served with says that "I am the owner of a dog of which has bit or attacked a person by the name of" and than it says the ladys name.

The thing is my dog didnt attack a person, it only bit her dog, nothing serious no stiches were required.
Would anyone know if I had a chance in court about my trial being dismissed due to wrong information being provided?

ANY HELP WOULD BE GREATLY APPRECIATED.
THANK YOU

Tommy

~michelle~
October 31st, 2006, 11:17 AM
i cant help you but im sure there will be someone here who knows what to do....wouldnt there have to be some sort of documentation that your dog attacked her??? as in doctors note, witness? best of luck

Prin
October 31st, 2006, 01:05 PM
I think you need a lawyer.:shrug:

Tommy
October 31st, 2006, 06:56 PM
Does anyone know any good lawyers in the Toronto area that are known for these type of cases or any where else???

please let me know

thank you

pug lover
October 31st, 2006, 07:21 PM
good luck keep us posted

BMDLuver
October 31st, 2006, 07:45 PM
When your dog bit (attacked?) the other dog, did you offer to pay all damages to the other dog? I would think that you are going to have to pay any vet bills for the dog that was hurt and may find that your dog has a muzzle order as a result of this. I wouldn't think you need a lawyer as it must just be small claims court so the amount is under $2000 which a lawyer would cost way more for, but that's JMHO.

coppperbelle
October 31st, 2006, 08:14 PM
What kind of court are you being summoned to? I think only a lawyer would be able to answer your question but hiring one can be very expensive. If you work for a large company or the government they sometimes offer free legal advice to their employees. You may want to check it out.

Tommy
November 1st, 2006, 11:10 AM
The thing is my dog is a pitbull. I have tryed calling some lawyers but they only handle the side of who got attacked. Thas why it is hard to find a lawyer who handles these types of cases.

Tommy
November 1st, 2006, 11:11 AM
I am being summoned to the Ontario Court of Justice

meb999
November 1st, 2006, 11:50 AM
so it won't be handled by small claims? How much are they suing for? Is a criminal suit? Did you offer to pay the damages to the dog who was bitten? In Qc (I don't know exactly how it works in On) you're civily responsible of any damage done by your sog to a person or another animal, but, unless they can prove intent and maliciousness, you're not criminally responsible :shrug:

Your best bet is to keep calling around. Are the lawyers refusing the case AFTER you tell them the details of the story? If that's the case then the reason no one wants the case is because you don't have a case (ie the chances of winning are slim)

Good luck --- if you were in QC I could probably be of more assistance :shrug:

coppperbelle
November 1st, 2006, 11:55 AM
Oh geesh, that changes things as you are in Ontario where pitbulls have their own specific rules. From my understanding they have to be muzzled when in public. If he wasn't then you have broken the law and this is simply not a dog bite.
I think it would be best for you to contact a lawyer.

Cathy1
November 1st, 2006, 04:20 PM
There was a same situation where I live and they wanted to fight it but all the lawyers they talked to told them they could not win the case because they broke the law by not having him muzzled. It was one day after the person reported the bite that the pitbull was taken from them and never did see it again.

~michelle~
November 1st, 2006, 05:30 PM
obviously your dog was not muzzled and therefore you were breaking a law. contact a lawyer, but i would say your chances of winning are slim, not to sound cruel, but there is a high risk of your dog being put down due to this incident. The pitbull law is still making headlines and the misinformed public is still pushing for the extinction of pitbulls.... hopefully (i pray) that your pup will be ok, however you really need to abide by the laws, b/c if you are seen witha pitbull unmuzzled or breaking any of the regulations animal control or police and immediately take your dog and either sell it to science of have it destroyed. I DO NOT agree with this law, but you really need to know the law inside out esp if you own a pitbull. there are several groups with websites advocating for the overturning of this law, maybe research them, contact them, maybe they will know of some lawyers that can help you, GOOD LUCK:pray: keep us posted please

coppperbelle
November 1st, 2006, 07:22 PM
obviously your dog was not muzzled and therefore you were breaking a law. contact a lawyer, but i would say your chances of winning are slim, not to sound cruel, but there is a high risk of your dog being put down due to this incident. The pitbull law is still making headlines and the misinformed public is still pushing for the extinction of pitbulls.... hopefully (i pray) that your pup will be ok, however you really need to abide by the laws, b/c if you are seen witha pitbull unmuzzled or breaking any of the regulations animal control or police and immediately take your dog and either sell it to science of have it destroyed. I DO NOT agree with this law, but you really need to know the law inside out esp if you own a pitbull. there are several groups with websites advocating for the overturning of this law, maybe research them, contact them, maybe they will know of some lawyers that can help you, GOOD LUCK:pray: keep us posted please

Sell it to science????? That is disgusting.

~michelle~
November 1st, 2006, 08:52 PM
unfortunately the selling to science is TRUE...... it is disgusting, but its a digusting alternative to putting the animal to sleep. however if the pitbull is convicted it will be put to sleep

• If your “pit bull” gets picked up by Animal Control there is no way to get that dog back.
• Pound operators have 3 options for impounded “pit bulls”: 1) destroy the dog 2) transfer the dog to an owner outside Ontario 3) sell the “pit bull” to an animal research facility.
• If you own a restricted “pit bull” and you are convicted of ANY offence under the new Law , your dog must be destroyed.

theres alot of great (yet sad) information on the site that the general public doesnt really know/understand about the proposed pitbull laws..... PROMOTE EDUCATION.....

Spurby
November 3rd, 2006, 01:56 AM
Hi Tommy, please e-mail bulliesinneed@gmail.com with full details on the situation. You must know by now, according to the legislation you can and will lose your dog IF it is indeed a pit bull that has bitten either a person or other domesticated animal, no matter how serious the bite. However there are lawyers who are helping the bully owners and perhaps they can help you as well. Please let me know where your dog is located as well.