Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Dust off them old fogies...

Prin
October 30th, 2006, 08:00 PM
Whenever somebody starts a puppy pic thread, I always feel left out (even though they are very cute to look at ;)) and I feel the need to post an old doggy thread for those of us who haven't seen our babies as babies...

So for those of you with baby pics, go here: http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=32248

And for the rest of us...

Let the white fur fly! :highfive:

Show us your white beardies!

Jemma's
http://i65.photobucket.com/albums/h213/Princi9009/Jemma%20and%20Boo%20Aug%20Sep%20Oct%202006/IMG_3570.jpg

Boo's
http://i65.photobucket.com/albums/h213/Princi9009/Jemma%20and%20Boo%20Aug%20Sep%20Oct%202006/IMG_3596.jpg

technodoll
October 30th, 2006, 08:05 PM
prin, if you read in the thread, it says for those with rescued kids, a "first day home" photo counts as a "puppy photo"! :highfive: NOBODY is left out!! na-uhn!

Prin
October 30th, 2006, 08:10 PM
Yeah, I saw that, but my "first" photos of Boo and jemms are on 35mm, before cd's were affordable...:D

I'd hold them up, but I doubt you'd seen 'em.

technodoll
October 30th, 2006, 08:12 PM
course we would! you have a great digi camera now... put the printed photo on your table or counter, and take a photo of the photo :D

pretty please? :p

jiorji
October 30th, 2006, 08:13 PM
pleaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaase :D

Prin
October 30th, 2006, 08:19 PM
course we would! you have a great digi camera now... put the printed photo on your table or counter, and take a photo of the photo :D

pretty please? :p

omg.. I don't know why I never thought of that... Hopefully they'll come out ok.

But still post your fogies! :frustrated: lol Frenchy, that means YOU! :D

jesse's mommy
October 30th, 2006, 08:19 PM
Pwitty Pweeze?

technodoll
October 30th, 2006, 08:27 PM
we're waaaaaaaaaaaiting! LOL

(ooh the pressure... buncha meanies we are! :D )

wdawson
October 30th, 2006, 08:33 PM
george,in his senior years

Frenchy
October 30th, 2006, 08:34 PM
Well you already saw mine ! :o I only had the dg cam for 2 weeks and didn't have time to take outdoors pics yet.:(

Prin
October 30th, 2006, 08:35 PM
They don't have to be new pics Frenchy.;)

jiorji
October 30th, 2006, 08:36 PM
did you return the cam frenchy? Plus you gotta repost here those piccies. Those are the rules

Prin
October 30th, 2006, 08:39 PM
Exactly.

We might have seen them once, but that was a long time ago and in a different context.:)

Byrd
October 30th, 2006, 08:44 PM
This is my old guy, Wolf, when he was 13. He went to the bridge 2 1/2 years ago at the age of 15. I miss him sooooo much. :(

Prin
October 30th, 2006, 08:45 PM
So pretty! :cloud9:

I'm so sorry for your loss.:grouphug:

technodoll
October 30th, 2006, 08:49 PM
wolf was stunning! and 15 is pretty good for a large dog... :candle: i wish they lasted longer on this earth though. sigh.

Frenchy
October 30th, 2006, 08:57 PM
Told ya I didn't have old pics :shrug:

Byrd
October 30th, 2006, 09:03 PM
i wish they lasted longer on this earth though. sigh.

Yeah, same here, their life is too short.

Prin
October 30th, 2006, 09:04 PM
Great pics Frenchy! :) (It's ok to recycle pics ;) especially when the doggies are so pretty!)

erykah1310
October 30th, 2006, 10:43 PM
Max in his older years ( 7) he passed about a year after this picture was taken. A tragic day for me .
Thank goodness for photos though.

http://i63.photobucket.com/albums/h154/erykah1310/max99.jpg

hazelrunpack
October 30th, 2006, 10:48 PM
Max in his older years ( 7) he passed about a year after this picture was taken. A tragic day for me .
Thank goodness for photos though.

Ain't that the truth!? They're not the same as the smell of ears or the feel of fur, but photo albums have gotten me through a lot... Still cry over them, though... Sorry about Max.

Prin
October 30th, 2006, 11:29 PM
Ok.. here are my pics of pics of my olllld doggies... My childhood doggies...

My first doggy:
http://i65.photobucket.com/albums/h213/Princi9009/Boo%20baby%20pics/Mindy%20and%20Hershey/IMG_3784_1.jpg
Tara the SPCA Dobie. She died of liver cancer at 7 years old (I was 8). When we had her, we also had a newf, but I don't seem to have any pics of the newf..:(

Then came Mindy, the runt yellow lab. She was 6 weeks old when we got her. She was attacked by her mother (she was too weak), and had to be bottle fed. The breeder gave her to my aunt who gave her to us, a week after Tara died. She was dog aggressive as hell. I've never seen a dog aggressive like her in my life. She was 14 when she died of a brain tumor.
http://i65.photobucket.com/albums/h213/Princi9009/Boo%20baby%20pics/Mindy%20and%20Hershey/IMG_3789.jpg

Then came Hershey, the red dobie... He was a show dog and a stud in his previous life... He died at 13 in 1998. He was my soulmate doggy.
http://i65.photobucket.com/albums/h213/Princi9009/Boo%20baby%20pics/Mindy%20and%20Hershey/IMG_3786.jpg

Check out the little triangle ears... :D I hate cropping and he's the reason. I loved his little crunchy triangles, but would have loved his big floppies more.
http://i65.photobucket.com/albums/h213/Princi9009/Boo%20baby%20pics/Mindy%20and%20Hershey/IMG_3791.jpg

Oh and just to prove I used to know squat about food (we all start somewhere)....

This was Mindy's favorite time of the month... She wasn't an 80lb dwarf lab for nuthin'.:o
http://i65.photobucket.com/albums/h213/Princi9009/Boo%20baby%20pics/Mindy%20and%20Hershey/IMG_3793.jpg

oh, and that leg you see- she had no knee on that leg. That's where she was attacked, and after the surgeries, she couldn't bend her leg. It was also 11cm shorter than the other side.

hazelrunpack
October 30th, 2006, 11:40 PM
LOL Mindy really knows her way around the food bag, doesn't she?

Pretty dogs, Prin. I've always loved the look of Dobies, but got along with Rotties much better...

Hershey looks so cute in that basket!:D

:sad: Poor Mindy to have been attacked by her mom... Must've been a pretty vicious attack to have damaged the knee so much.

I'm happy that Mindy didn't let it slow her down... :thumbs up ...at least around snack time!

jiorji
October 30th, 2006, 11:40 PM
awwwwwwwwww they're so beautiful!!!!!!:cloud9:

Prin
October 30th, 2006, 11:42 PM
Yeah, Hershey in his basket...:D They were all the rage back then.:D He went through them like dog biscuits though because he was a leaner, and the wall of the basket would snap off the base all the time. My dad would burn them in the fireplace, and once the burning basket fell over and burnt everything on the mantle.:D

After that, he got a chair.:D

hazelrunpack
October 30th, 2006, 11:45 PM
once the burning basket fell over and burnt everything on the mantle.:D

After that, he got a chair.:D

Too funny!!!:D

Prin
October 30th, 2006, 11:50 PM
I wish I could get a dobie with his head. He had a wider head than the dobies I usually see now. I like his head shape.

Oh, speaking of his head, before we got him, he was chained up outside most of the time, and fell asleep with his head in the road... Yeah, a couple major surgeries and a lot of recovery time later, he was ready to be dumped when his owners moved to the city (and ready to become my soulmate doggy).

hazelrunpack
October 30th, 2006, 11:56 PM
I wish I could get a dobie with his head. He had a wider head than the dobies I usually see now. I like his head shape.

Oh, speaking of his head, before we got him, he was chained up outside most of the time, and fell asleep with his head in the road... Yeah, a couple major surgeries and a lot of recovery time later, he was ready to be dumped when his owners moved to the city (and ready to become my soulmate doggy).

Man...doesn't it just warm your heart to know there's people like that out there...pftuiiiiiii What are people thinking!? :sad:

Prin
October 31st, 2006, 12:00 AM
Yeah... At least he was sort of well bred enough to live a long time... (I say sort of because he died of wobbler's, which is still a genetic thing...:rolleyes: ).

hazelrunpack
October 31st, 2006, 12:04 AM
Yeah... At least he was sort of well bred enough to live a long time... (I say sort of because he died of wobbler's, which is still a genetic thing...:rolleyes: ).

Are you sure it wasn't brain damage left over from the car incident?

Prin
October 31st, 2006, 12:05 AM
Yeah. You can see wobbler's on xrays (calcification of the spinal cord).

hazelrunpack
October 31st, 2006, 12:11 AM
Yeah. You can see wobbler's on xrays (calcification of the spinal cord).

hmmmm How much different would that be from spondyllosis? Is it actually the cord that calcifies or the vertebral column?

Prin
October 31st, 2006, 12:21 AM
Hmm... It's the vertebral column around the cord. Like eventually the cord ends up cut off. My big guy was gradually losing feeling from back to front. In his case, I don't know if it's the same in all cases, but it was where the spinal cord passes through the shoulders at the base of the neck (if I'm remembering properly), that the spinal cord got disrupted. :shrug: (You know, when it's somebody you really love, you just don't listen properly? :o)

hazelrunpack
October 31st, 2006, 12:25 AM
Hmm... It's the vertebral column around the cord. Like eventually the cord ends up cut off. My big guy was gradually losing feeling from back to front. In his case, I don't know if it's the same in all cases, but it was where the spinal cord passes through the shoulders at the base of the neck (if I'm remembering properly), that the spinal cord got disrupted. :shrug: (You know, when it's somebody you really love, you just don't listen properly? :o)

Yep...I know how hard it is to listen when someone you really love is in trouble... Sorry about your soulmate... :grouphug:

Lil Belle has spondyllosis (not sure if that's spelled right)...the vertebral column in the sacrolumbar area is fusing--maybe 2 or 3 vertebrae fused already...working on the next. The vets said it might have been due to past trauma, or might be due to her chronic Lymes... Maybe they're wrong? Though it doesn't seem to be impairing her movement much... I'm gonna have to do me some research tomorrow...

Prin
October 31st, 2006, 01:02 AM
Yeah, my vet said that wobbler's can be brought on quicker by some sort of trauma to the spine. :shrug: I guess scar tissue formation leads to calcification somehow.:shrug: I know that whatever was happening to my Hersh, it was near his neck, not lower down. His head was ok, but the rest of him... :( One time, he was lying on the grass with his leash on, and he got this weird look in his eye. I went to see what was up and the leash was hooked onto his nipple. :D He knew something was up, but didn't know what.

I know everybody here has heard the sad story a kajillion times (so sorry), but he was diagnosed in August and given three or so weeks to live, and he made it to December... Christmas eve day, he just sort of shut down and I stayed with him as long as I could, pretty well all day till 4 the next morning, and when I went to sleep, he died.:( My dad went down an hour after I had gone to bed (I made Hershey promise to be ok, but I guess that meant something different for him than for me), and then came and woke me up.:( You just never get over a dog like that, you know?

I remember that day so vividly, but thankfully, I remember so many other days too.

technodoll
October 31st, 2006, 12:10 PM
so nice to finally put a "face to the names", now we know what kind of gentle souls populate the rainbow bridge :rip:

i'll try to do the same tonight, take a photo of a photo of my two dobies. this is neat, eh? :o

Prin
October 31st, 2006, 12:41 PM
Neat, but heartbreaking at the same time.:o