Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Kitten & Worms Question

Daizy
October 30th, 2006, 03:57 PM
My kitten is due to go in for her second booster shots. She has had a course of deworming tablets and her poop test came back negative. The gave me a poop sample bottle for the next visit but is this necessary as she's had her deworming tablets and the poop test came back negative? Or is it just a way for them to make more $$$$?

Thanks in advance for your help.:cat:

hazelrunpack
October 30th, 2006, 04:10 PM
I don't know much about kittens, but I wonder if it isn't like it is with dogs. Many parasites have 2- or 3-week life cycles...and my understanding is if you don't hit them at just the right moment in their cycle, the meds won't kill them. So you have to hit them twice--once to kill the parasites already in the vulnerable stage, and the second time a few weeks later to allow any larvae to develop into a form that's vulnerable to the meds... (We had 6 dogs treated for hookworms this summer and we actually had to go 4 treatments each, staggered by a few weeks, to get rid of all the hooks. Some of them had been infected later than the others and so the meds weren't quite as effective for them the first time around.)

So I don't think it's just a money issue--multiple wormings are pretty standard practice--for dogs, anyway.

PetFriendly
October 30th, 2006, 06:27 PM
On more than one occasion we've had false negative worm tests... Once the cat had thrown up a worm, yet the stool sample we rushed over the vet's so we could get meds came back negative (they gave up the meds anyway since we had the sample he brought back up).

So no, I don't think its a cash grab, and in some cases the cost of testing is included in the kitten visit costs.

Daizy
October 31st, 2006, 10:11 AM
Thanks for your answers - its good to know :)