Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Not your typical grass eating dogs

Tambo
October 30th, 2006, 02:20 PM
My rat terrier and toy poodle eat grass in the backyard like cattle grazing in a pasture. They will either dig or pull the grass up to get to the roots and then proceed to eat the roots like candy. I asked my vet and he did not seem concerned due to both dogs being in very good health. My dogs have been doing this for years, they used to eat mulch like this until I elminated it from the yard. I am curious if anyone has had this problem.:dog:

OntarioGreys
October 30th, 2006, 02:32 PM
3 cow dogs here , fresh spring grass is the best :thumbs up

hazelrunpack
October 30th, 2006, 02:54 PM
Oh, yes... You haven't lived till you've had 6 dogs mowing the yard, then barfing up the grass balls on your living room carpet! :crazy: They don't usually eat the roots, though, unless they also happen to be going after the moles...but once they get those 20-foot ditches along the mole runnels dug up, they'll occasionally imbibe in the roots, too... (And then we get predigested muddy grass balls on the carpet...):D

Tambo
October 30th, 2006, 04:11 PM
Most dogs eat the tops off the grass, from what I have witnessed with other dogs. That's what is so weird about my dogs, they only want to eat the roots. They have been eating them for so long now, they very rarely leave vomit balls on the floor (at first there were quite a few, so I know what you mean). But when we remove the poop from the back yard it sometimes feels like we are picking up bails of hay. The grass in the yard is looking pretty rough.:yell:

the gang
October 30th, 2006, 04:28 PM
yup my rosie, min pin, eats roots, i think she is a vegertarion lol:eek: brenda and the pins.

PetFriendly
October 30th, 2006, 05:23 PM
Charley's favorite is dandelion roots... We don't use pesticides so they are safe for him to chew on. He also like the flowers... We're trying to teach him to pick them on command to cut down on the number of them that go to seed (elliminates them with using poison).

He'll eat mass amounts of grass if we've been somewhere and he's either gotten into another dog's food or was fed too many treats when I wasn't looking and is trying to relieve the bloated feeling. If he's just grazing, he won't be sick though so its safe to bring him in