Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

My Cat Meows To Much!

Speedy49
October 30th, 2006, 10:51 AM
Hi
I have a black cat called Speedy,
When we bring him inside he meows to go out and when we put him out he meows to come back in.
We have only just moved house whihc is when it started although we did have another cat to keep him company at our old house we gave it to our neighbours to keep. At our new house speedy climbs up on the conservatory and meows at the daughters windows which is keeping there whole house awake. We have tried throwing water at him but he just comes back after 5 mins and starts again. We have tried to keep him in yet he just keeps meowing to go out. I am trying to stop my mum and dad from taking him back to the RSPCA. please help.
:sad: Ryan :sad:

Maya
October 30th, 2006, 01:40 PM
Aww poor kitty. He sounds like he is really stressed from the move and losing his friend and now he's getting water thrown at him. :( I was just posting in another thread with some suggestions for a similar situation which may be of some use to you. http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=32222It It sounds like he needs a whole lot of comforting right now to get through the shock of moving. I had a kitty girl a long time ago when I was about 14 that started doing the let me in let me out every few minutes thing which started right when a stray came and had kittens at our house. I think it really upset her. I got really frustrated with her one day and shouted at her and then later that day while I was out she was killed.:sad: I never forgave myself. Anyway, I'd try putting a litter box in your room for a while and keep him and his food there for a few days maybe longer and re-assure him quite often especially when he starts meowing, lots of cuddling and calm relaxing attention and play. Hopefully you will also get some more suggestions soon.

badger
October 30th, 2006, 04:49 PM
Play with him regularly, maybe buy him some new toys, give him lots of attention, cats sometimes don't settle in to new places as easily as humans. Part of the reason he wants to go outside all the time is because he's bored. Maybe he thinks he'll find his old buddy out there.
If you want your cat to be healthy and well-adjusted you have to do a little work, re-connect with him in some way. Forgive me if you know all this.
A cat door is another possibility. I would keep him inside when you go out, though. He needs to get used to the house.
If you let him run freely in the new neighbourhood, he might take off and get lost. At the very least buy him one of those cheap collars from Walmart that break apart under stress (so he doesn't hang himself). Write your phone number on it in indelible ink.
If he is not neutered, then there's the additional stress of other males hanging around (they can smell each other from 5 km away!). Get him fixed immediately.
I think he's looking for his buddy. Any chance of reuniting them?

Maya
October 30th, 2006, 06:29 PM
It would be nice if you can get your parents involved in finding a solution. Maybe you can explain that he is having a fairly common reaction that should pass once he is adjusted to the loss of his friend and the stress of adjusting to his new environment. I think in little kitty brain when they are upset or stressed they think hmm maybe if I go out I'll feel better, then looking back inside, hmm maybe if I go in I'll feel better, nope and it goes on and on. The cycle needs to be broken by getting him to relax and slowly get used to the new situation. It's kind of like when people get stressed they sometimes do obsessive stuff like nail byting or pacing, the constant in and out/meowing is kind of the kitty version in this situation. Also I second what badger has mentioned here. A cat door is another possibility. I would keep him inside when you go out, though. He needs to get used to the house. If you let him run freely in the new neighbourhood, he might take off and get lost. At the very least buy him one of those cheap collars from Walmart that break apart under stress (so he doesn't hang himself). Write your phone number on it in indelible ink. If he is not neutered, then there's the additional stress of other males hanging around (they can smell each other from 5 km away!). Get him fixed immediately.I think he's looking for his buddy. Any chance of reuniting them?
I hope you can work through this, it would be unfair to send him to the rspca because he is having a difficult transition/normal reaction to stress (is rspca the same as spca do they also euthanize?). It will be difficult for him to find a new home being a black adult kitty. Most people want kittens and black cat's seem to have a harder time finding homes so I've been hearing. Also don't forget to keep him in tomorrow for Halloween!!! Good luck :fingerscr

susieqt
October 30th, 2006, 08:03 PM
Speedy sounds like he has quite the character!! Could he be part siamese?
They tend to be quite vocal.

CyberKitten
October 30th, 2006, 08:14 PM
My cats are all vocal, esp my meezer (Siamese) and I love it about her. But I know we are all unique and I was well aware of that trait in Siamese before she arrived. I love to talk to my cats and expect them to meow back at me. I am quite sure I am the dumb one since I cannot understand what they are saying (tho I get the I want food part and the toys r here, let's play bit).

Your kitty may well be part Siamese but some cats are just vocal and enjoy it. Please do not punish her - like throwing water at her - for it. Cats do not respond to punishment! It only makes them fear you more. Most studies show the water torture thing does not work, unless the cat does not associate you with the water and it is a light sprinkle when they say jump on the counter, Behaviour mod may work with dogs but dogs and cats are VERY different and cats are not at all responsible to those kind of punitive measures. Dogs want to please you so they will try to change. Punishing a cat for doing something that comes natural to her may just create a skittish and unhappy kitty, esp when she is missing her friend.

I know you love her - but maybe you can seek out someone who can help you with this. A cat therapist for example; she may in fact be attempting to tell you she is not happy and wants your love and encouragement Cats do respond to this - lots of love and caring unless they are the kind of cat who prefers being alone. Reward her when she does not yowl a lot - cats are quick learners - she will figure out she gets goodies and good things when she does not meow.

Good luck!!!!

Maya
October 30th, 2006, 10:14 PM
Since you got him from the rspca perhaps you or your parents can call them back and ask advice about Speedy's situation. I can see now that he's neutered and probably micro-chipped so that's good. :thumbs up

Please do give an update when you can, i'd like to hear how things work out for you and Speedy.

Here is the site I was looking at. Your local rspca should be happy to hear from you and able to offer some good suggestions.

http://www.rspca.org.uk/servlet/Satellite?pagename=RSPCA/RSPCARedirect&pg=CatsPetCare

mafiaprincess
October 30th, 2006, 10:39 PM
Ex's cat was vocal like no other I've met.. Not that I have a large amount of cat experience.. There was nothing wrong with her, she just enjoyed using her voice, and did all the time.