Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

My cat meows ALL THE TIME!!! What do I do?

Raeday06
October 29th, 2006, 11:16 PM
Hello everybody,

I have a cat named Sammy that does NOTHING but MEOW ALL THE TIME! It is very irritating because it seems as though he has no reason to meow. He is very well cared for--has plenty of food and water, gets a good amount of attention (petting and playing), etc. It often keeps me up at night or wakes me up too early in the morning, and I wasn't expecting that from a cat. My parents have had a few cats and none of them have been even nearly this loud.

I've tried squirting him every time he meows for a few weeks now and he just doesn't get it (this was a suggestion on another webpage)--I've tried ignoring him and that doesn't work because he just keeps meowing. It's like he's a compulsive meower and even does it while he's eating or cleaning himself! I love the cat but he needs to learn how to quiet down!

Any suggestions, or anybody else had the same problem??? Thanks!!!

Rae-day

jiorji
October 29th, 2006, 11:41 PM
has she been spayed?because she could be meowing cos of that

Raeday06
October 30th, 2006, 12:54 AM
Yes, he has been neutered.

Maya
October 30th, 2006, 01:56 AM
Has he done this since he was a kitten? How long has it been since his last vet visit? It could be that he doesn't feel well and is sort of "needy feeling" Does he also follow you around and seem restless? Hyperthyroid, diabetes to name a couple may cause him to be hyper. If he is not sick it could even be his diet, not enough or an imbalance of nutrients can leave some cats feeling very unsatisfied which can lead to odd behaviour. Do be sure to check as many health causes before starting with training. It would be sad to squirt him with water if he wasn't well! I'd be very concerned if he is meowing non-stop.

Raeday06
October 30th, 2006, 11:27 AM
Thanks Maya...I'm making an appt to have him checked out next week. The idea that he might not be feeling well never occurred to me and that wouldn't be nice to be squirting him with water if that's the case. I have refrained from that lately since it doesn't seem to be doing anything.

If he isn't sick I'll try out the new diet. He may just need more play time. I live alone and he is a very social cat. Thank you for the suggestions!

jawert1
October 30th, 2006, 11:46 AM
Once you rule out a potential health issue at the vets, perhaps it's time to consider getting a 2nd cat? I know there are others here on this board who advocate having 2 cats as they tend to amuse each other and don't always turn to you 24/7 for mental stimulation. Most folks will tell you it's not much more difficult to have 2 than one, personally, I have 2 dogs and although they still require a good deal of attention from me, they do keep each other occupied when I'm not home. Just a thought, good luck with your lil guy and I hope everything works out for you :) :pawprint:

badger
October 30th, 2006, 11:59 AM
Some cats get bored more quickly than others. If you can manage it, why not another cat to drain off some of that energy?

Good idea to get a vet check though.

jiorji
October 30th, 2006, 12:09 PM
it could be a health issue, it could also be emotional discomfort as well.

When I adopted my Peanut from the spca, she was REALLY vocal. She used to meow all the time. She doesn't meow now as much, unless you go talk to her or unless she's in teh bathroom doing her daily routine of 5 second meowing with her imaginary friend in the bathroom. I don't know why she only meows in there.
So i think that she used to be so vocal because of the changes in her life from her home, then to spca, then to my home with a new resident animal.

Maybe your cat is experiencing stress as well, or maybe he's lonely, but some cats are generally vocal, so before you run and get another cat, consider the fact that he may not get over the meowing just because there's another animal.

Maya
October 30th, 2006, 01:01 PM
Raeday06, You are so totally welcome! I hope all goes well at the vet. The food forum here is a good place to look for information on what's healthiest and what to feed senior's or younger cats etc.. if you decide to switch, like i'm not sure if you know this but Iams is really unhealthy and can cause urinary blockage, so you need to be careful what you decide to switch to and how fast. It would need to be a gradual switch or they can get sick. I used vet food for a long time as well and later found out that it wasn't so hot either. Mine was a big time MEOWer also, very loving and expressive and like that even when he had his brother with him. He wasn't a non-stop meower though, I think that is unusual. Sometimes to quiet him down I gave him catnip toys with GOOD QUALITY health food store catnip which kept him busy because he'd put that in his mouth and slobber for a while!!! You could try keeping a supply on hand to give him if he wakes you up or you are busy. It's also possible he does just need a lot of attention, a friend or even a better view that includes some birds to watch! Good luck.:cat:

MyBirdIsEvil
October 30th, 2006, 01:39 PM
It's like he's a compulsive meower and even does it while he's eating or cleaning himself!

He may just be very neurotic. In this case, squirting him with water is only going to make it worse (or as you said, at least no better), because it will only give him something else to worry about.
It could also be an uncontrollable behavior - kind of like tourettes in humans maybe? Maybe there's just nothing he can do to stop himself from meowing.
It's unusual for a cat to meow constantly, and not even stop while cleaning himself or eating, and the only time I've seen similar behavior is either when a female cat is in heat (and even then they stop when they're eating usually), or when there's some kind of mental problem.

It's not unusual for a cat to meow a lot after bringing it into your home, but your cats behavior goes WAY past normal, so I think it has to be either a physical or mental health issue, not a behavioral one.

Hunter's_owner
October 30th, 2006, 01:57 PM
She doesn't meow now as much, unless you go talk to her or unless she's in teh bathroom doing her daily routine of 5 second meowing with her imaginary friend in the bathroom. I don't know why she only meows in there.

That's really funny, does she look in the mirror while she is doing this? Max does this as well, but he does it so that someone will turn on the bathroom faucet for him :rolleyes:

I agree with the others, though, a second cat often does wonders, without adding any extra work.
Cats can often get stressed too, as has been pointed out, so it may be that as well.