Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Scratched Eye need vets help!

AnimalMom1985
October 29th, 2006, 11:14 PM
My cat Alex is 13 years old and her eye was scratched by my kitten's claw. The third eyelid is out a little and the outer eye lids are almost closed. There is a sticky brown liquid coming from her eye and it seems quite painful. My vet prescribed Tobramycin Ophthalmic Solution but after some research online and reading the enclosed pamphlet I'm worried because everything I've read states that it is for topical treatment only and since the eye is scratched I would think that the solution would go in the scratch and that the word "topical" would no longer be relevant to the situation. Am I right for worrying?
Also, I was also given Amoxicillin 100mg tablets to give her after the eye drops are gone and was told to give her 1/3 of a baby asprin every 3 days until all the medication is gone. This seems like a lot of medication for such a simple problem. :confused:

badger
October 30th, 2006, 12:34 AM
I would follow the vet's advice. Topical just means applying the remedy directly on the affected area - in this case the eye - don't worry about the scratch - it will help it heal, as with any antibiotic ointment. The pills are for infection, which is what he's got, and the aspirin is for pain.

Don't do anything different than from what the vet prescribed (especially not more aspirin, it can be toxic in larger amounts). If you have questions, give the vet a call, that's what they're there for.

All seems pretty straightforward to me.

Hunter's_owner
October 30th, 2006, 07:55 AM
Yes I agree with Badger. The ointment is needed to help the scratch heal, and topical means that it is placed outside, not ingested.
The amoxicillin is needed, because cat sratches can become infected, and the aspirin for pain. So yeah, definetly follow the vets advice, and hopefully your cat is feeling better soon.

ByronsMum
October 30th, 2006, 08:46 AM
One of our cats has had a few eye scratches throughout his life (he insists on standing behind his brother when he is pawing at the kitty litter...yeah...not too bright...:frustrated: ). He was prescribed the same thing as you each time we took him to the vet and he is just fine. Just follow the vet's instructions and good luck with applying the eye meds! :D I hope it isn't as challenging for you as it was for us!! :D

AnimalMom1985
November 10th, 2006, 03:09 AM
Thank you for your replies, but I'm still not sure about this. She has been on the medication and the smell and color of the infection are gone but now her eye is cloudy and she still won't open it. I'm not sure what to do!

vfrohloff
November 10th, 2006, 09:56 AM
I would call the vet again. Eye infections can take a while to clear up, but if the medication was working it should be gone by now. Infections that don't respond to one treatment often will respond to a different treatment.

itslorib
November 10th, 2006, 07:45 PM
My boxer is 12 and he recently went through almost the exact same thing, except his eye clouded then formed this red center that my vet called proud flesh, we had to go see the vet 4 weeks in a row for this test where they dilated his eye and put this green dye on it , then in the dark the green glowed neon to show the infection and the extent that the cornea was torn, we were then given 2 medications, first soothing drops then antibiotic with a vaseline like consistency to rub in the eye, it took all 4 weeks for the cloudiness to dissapate. Hang in there! lb

sderosa
November 12th, 2006, 08:18 PM
hi
I had a lab that had a scratch to her eye and it was horrible looking....my vet gave me the eye ointment (which said topical)and an oral antibiotic....it took about 2 weeks before she looked like her old self....also you have to make sure she isn't rubbing the eye....take your cat back to the vet to make sure there is not an infection in her system since cats claws are loaded with bacteria
hope all is well soon

AnimalMom1985
November 15th, 2006, 03:13 AM
:sad: Well, another visit to the vet today uncovered the true issue with Alex's eye. Unfortunately she has cancer. It is a type of carcinoma which the vet believes started behind her eye and traveled to her sinus cavity and then to her mouth. It could very possibly be in her brain as well. She is blind in the left eye and her sinus cavity is demolished, she has a hole in the roof of her mouth and is losing her teeth because the cancer has taken over her upper jaw. She now has a large mass on her lip which was at first thought to be an abscess. When she eats, the food goes into the hole in the roof of her mouth and into her sinus cavity which is why she has been "sneezing" so much. The vet had to remove a dead bone from the inside of the hole and the size of it was amazing. She will remain at home until she stops eating and being active and will then be euthanized. Thank you all for your help with the issue. My advice to everyone is to make sure and research every possibility of health issues with your pets so that you can equally live a happy healthy life.

Prin
November 15th, 2006, 03:19 AM
omg, I am so sorry. :sad: What horrible news! :(

:grouphug: She's lucky to have you.