Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Long term allergy care?

Prin
October 29th, 2006, 10:25 PM
Jemma can't take benadryl because it gives her the runs, so so far, she has been getting one cortisone shot a year for her ragweed allergy (pretty severe). I'm wondering if anybody has any better ideas for the long term...

My vet says the benefits of the cortisone outweigh the risks in Jemma's case, but I'm not so sure that's the absolute best route...

Any ideas?

PetFriendly
October 30th, 2006, 06:33 PM
Have you tried other version of benadryl? In humans sometimes one version of a med works better/worse than another. Like I take insulin and one company's insulin won't work as well as another company's version of what is supposed to be the same thing... Charley (who easily gets the runs) takes the store brand of benadryl from Loblaws without problem... Maybe talk to the pharmacists and see what other methods of delivery of the active ingredient are available?

MERI
October 30th, 2006, 07:42 PM
Since August Bilbo is on Vanectyl. He has allergy on grass (from April till now) and aslo he is allergic to chicken.
We had visited different vets and the last one suggested vanectyl. I'm happy with it. It does not make him sleepy and he is not urinating more (as he did on prednisone). And I don't have to give it to him every day, just when he is scratching very intensive.
First week I gave him one pils a day, that half of a pil a day and now maybe one per week.
So far it works.

Frenchy
October 30th, 2006, 08:35 PM
Since August Bilbo is on Vanectyl. He has allergy on grass (from April till now) and aslo he is allergic to chicken.
We had visited different vets and the last one suggested vanectyl. I'm happy with it. It does not make him sleepy and he is not urinating more (as he did on prednisone). And I don't have to give it to him every day, just when he is scratching very intensive.
First week I gave him one pils a day, that half of a pil a day and now maybe one per week.
So far it works.

Same here with Bailey. I give him less than what's prescribe. They only pee a lot (because they drink a lot) when you start in April,since you have to give more pill at the beginning. I know it,s not good for them but it's better than seing him pull out his fur and to lick himself until he bleeds :shrug:

susieqt
October 30th, 2006, 09:01 PM
Stanley has had allergies for the first time this summer. He has been driving me nuts (and himself, too!) scratching and munching. I did go to the vet, and he prescibed cortisone. I only give him 1/2 pill every few days; the vet said I should give him 1 in the morning and 1 in the evening! With that amount, he would be drinking water like he just came out of the desert and peeing all day!

With the hot weather gone, and the cold weather here, shouldn't the time for seasonal allergies be long gone? Why is he still scratching??? How can you tell if he has a food allergy???? Allergy tests?

Prin
October 30th, 2006, 09:16 PM
Thanks for the replies...

The thing with the cortisone is my vet gives them one shot that is sort of slow acting and long lasting (at least from what I've seen). The one shot lasts the whole ragweed season.

So it comes down to weighing the effects of one shot vs the effects of pills every day. I don't know how severe your doggies' allergies are, but Jemma's feet bleed. She rips the fur out and then her feet swell up and get all rashy until they bleed. :( I just don't know how many pills she'd need...

Susie, it takes a while to wear off. If Jemma doesn't get a shot or gets her shot too late, she can take up to the middle of winter to stop itching. We got her muttluks (and none for Boo) last year because the salt in the snow affects her more because she's still irritated (and her crap boots didn't help enough).

Frenchy
October 30th, 2006, 09:28 PM
I just don't know how many pills she'd need...

Bailey is (usually!) 73-75 pounds , 3 pills every 2 days but I just give him 2 pills every 2 days and it works. Sam 100 pounds,was put on Vanectyl after the hot spot incident because we taught he had allergies too, it was 4 pills every 2 days for him. I only gave him 3 per 2 days.

t.pettet
October 30th, 2006, 09:29 PM
Use novo-pheniram (4 mg)(made by novopharm, a Toronto co.) contains chlorpheniramine maleate, 1/2 tablet for a 13 lb. dog given at night for pollen allergies relief, spring and fall. Rarely do I need to exceed 2 day dosage every 6 days. The runny eyes, sneezing, sore throat, coughing and scratching are eliminated and there is a wee bit of lethargy but no change in stools. Pharmacist perscribed this as was looking for something less pricey than Benadryl.

susieqt
October 30th, 2006, 09:35 PM
Oh, I didn't realize that it could take until mid-winter for the allergies to wear off - I kinda feel relieved as I thought it could be food allergies (I feed them Wellness now) - food allergies sound very complicated to treat, especially hard for mult-pet households.

Jemma's allergies sound pretty bad; with Stanley he just licks, scratches and munches his paws. Maybe if the allergies got worse or if he munches his paws more, he could get like Jemma, poor little girl.

Prin
October 30th, 2006, 09:42 PM
Yeah, I feel bad for Jemma too... She has killer food allergies too, and those make her ears itchy. :rolleyes:

Thanks everybody. I'm definitely going to look into all of those different pills for next year.:thumbs up

BMDLuver
October 30th, 2006, 09:50 PM
My Spaniel Terrier lived for 16 years. He had one annual shot of depemedrol for each of those 16 years. It worked wonders for him and was a heck of lot less invasive than any other route we could have taken. Langill Sr was his vet at the time.

Prin
October 30th, 2006, 10:29 PM
Ahh... Thanks BMD... Like father like son.;)