Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Fat dog

Lump of Kohl
October 29th, 2006, 07:49 PM
I am sitting a 5-6 year old very overweight Pom (I say very because I cannot feel any ribs when I squeeze and his belly hangs a little but he is of course fluffy). I would like to help them get his weight down. I am feeding him Cannidae 1 cup (1/2 cup twice) a day as he is a little bigger than my two Pom/Chi mixes and they weigh apprx 8lbs each( I feed them 3/4 cup each for the day). How long should it take for him to loose the extra weight? He looks like he should be about 8-10lbs and currently looks like he is about 15(he is a little nippy so I can't really pick him up). I will only have him for a week and I am aiming to take them out for a mile walk twice a day as well, normally I take my two out once a day for a mile.

mafiaprincess
October 29th, 2006, 07:57 PM
Sounds like a lot of food for a dog that size if you are trying to get him to loose weight.. Cider's 24 pounds and gets a cup of any of the last 3 types of dog food we have tried a day.. And she's pretty active.

Lump of Kohl
October 29th, 2006, 08:24 PM
I double checked and you are right :o I should cut back to 3/4 cup for the day(I've only had him for two days so It should be okay) I figured since my two a little smaller that he is height wise he should be getting a little more and its approximate measures so some times its less. I should have mentioned though that he was getting exclusively table food before (he still gets some when her children don't want to eat their food:frustrated: ). I just got them to switch him to dog food--so its still less calories. They said he wouldn't eat it and I explained if he gets nothing else he'll learn to make do. However he did take to covering his bowl with newspaper for a few days:D before he began eating it!

mafiaprincess
October 29th, 2006, 08:31 PM
Don't stress.. I'm sure 2 days of a little too much food is no biggie.

Tambo
October 30th, 2006, 06:56 AM
I have a rat terrier Missy who became over weight due to living in an apartment for a awhile, at that time she was two years old and got up to 17 pounds (Her normal weight is about 14 pounds are less). Once we moved into our home I started walking her an hour a day and playing ball in the back yard. I also put her on a dog food called Pet Promise Healthy Weight And Aging. In a matter of months her weight went down to 14 pounds, my vet was amazed. Missy is now 4 years old and still maintaing her weight at around 14 pounds or under. I still feed her the Pet Promise which I can only find at the health food strore. Missy receives only 1 cup of food a day and a few healthy treats. If interested in the food go to www.petpromise.com for locations near you. I tried other foods for over weight dogs, but this is the only one that worked. Good Luck and I hope this information helps.:)

vfrohloff
October 30th, 2006, 08:04 AM
Even 3/4 of a cup per day sounds like a lot, especially if you are trying to get the dog to lose weight. My Sophie is 54 lbs and gets 2 cups of Canidae per day, and she's not on a diet.

Hunter's_owner
October 30th, 2006, 09:43 AM
Yes I agree it does sound like a lot for such a small dog. I have a beagle who is 22 pounds, and she only gets 3/4 of a cup of food a day.
I guess it depends on the food though.

mafiaprincess
October 30th, 2006, 09:48 AM
Well.. If the 'ideal' portion on the bag is 3/4 of a cup a day, and the dog is fairly obese.. That is more the maintenance diet to get him to keep that weight.. Would likely need to be less calories a day to get him to loose I think.

Prin
October 30th, 2006, 12:25 PM
I still feed her the Pet Promise which I can only find at the health food strore. Missy receives only 1 cup of food a day and a few healthy treats. If interested in the food go to www.petpromise.com for locations near you. I tried other foods for over weight dogs, but this is the only one that worked. Good Luck and I hope this information helps.:)Sorry, but where on that website is there food? It looks like some sort of animal rescue to me.:confused: :confused:

mafiaprincess
October 30th, 2006, 12:53 PM
Prin you don't wanna know. It's a meh food...

Daily health
Chicken, brewers rice, corn gluten meal, oat groats, pearled barley, vegetable oil preserved with mixed-tocopherols, egg product, soy flour, dicalcium phosphate, natural flavor, calcium carbonate, potassium chloride, salt, vitamins [Vitamin E supplement, niacin, Vitamin A supplement, calcium pantothenate, thiamine mononitrate, riboflavin supplement, Vitamin B-12 supplement, pyridoxine hydrochloride, folic acid, Vitamin D-3 supplement, biotin, menadione sodium bisulfite complex (source of Vitamin K activity)], choline chloride, minerals [zinc sulfate, ferrous sulfate, manganese sulfate, copper sulfate, calcium iodate, sodium selenite], ascorbic acid [source of Vitamin C].

Doesn't get any better from there..

From http://www.petpromiseinc.com

Prin
October 30th, 2006, 01:02 PM
That's not meh, that's GAAA!!! while running away with your arms flailing. ;)

Lump of Kohl
October 30th, 2006, 06:01 PM
So should I suggest they feed him more like 2/3 cup a day?

technodoll
October 30th, 2006, 06:37 PM
yes, try reducing the canidae by half for a few weeks to see if it helps... you can add some rinsed, canned green beans to the food to "bulk up" the dish without any added calories, and exercise must also be part of the weight-loss regime. that should do it!

maybe the dog on "pet promise" is not fat anymore cuz... there is no nutrition in those awful pellets :(

OntarioGreys
October 30th, 2006, 07:35 PM
I have a rat terrier Missy who became over weight due to living in an apartment for a awhile, at that time she was two years old and got up to 17 pounds (Her normal weight is about 14 pounds are less). Once we moved into our home I started walking her an hour a day and playing ball in the back yard. I also put her on a dog food called Pet Promise Healthy Weight And Aging. In a matter of months her weight went down to 14 pounds, my vet was amazed. Missy is now 4 years old and still maintaing her weight at around 14 pounds or under. I still feed her the Pet Promise which I can only find at the health food strore. Missy receives only 1 cup of food a day and a few healthy treats. If interested in the food go to www.petpromise.com for locations near you. I tried other foods for over weight dogs, but this is the only one that worked. Good Luck and I hope this information helps.:)

Tambo I would suggest you read the food forum here to understand why most of us would not feed or recommend this food soy and corn are common alergens for dogs, there is very little meat in the food since the meat labeled in in wet state and is follewed by 5 grains there is propbably more pea pods in the food than actual meat(the diet version) and definitely search
this website for menadione sodium bisulfite complex as it is consider harmful to dogs