Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Is he just cold?

Byrd
October 29th, 2006, 07:48 PM
My mom's just-turned-10-years-old Shih Tzu, Rocky, has the shakes. I noticed it last night, he went out and when he came back in he cuddled up and was shaking, I put him between myself and a blanket and he rolled on his back and fell asleep. He just had a haircut on Thursday so I figured maybe he was just cold. But, my mom called today and said that he slept until 2:00 and she had to force him to go out to the bathroom. When he came back in he made it up one of the back steps and then laid down, she had to go down and get him (he is usually quite energetic). He came in and shook like crazy. When she called he had been wrapped in a blanket for about 15 minutes and was sleeping, but still shaking.

Could he have a bit of the flu, or is he just cold from his new haircut and all this cold weather we've been having? If he is still like this in the morning she's going to call the vet.

jiorji
October 29th, 2006, 08:00 PM
well being that small and having a haircut in the cold can't really go too well. *I* think he might have a cold.:( Maybe she should get him some doggie clothes for the future?

hope he gets better:fingerscr

Byrd
October 29th, 2006, 08:04 PM
I figured a cold or flu. She usually doesn't get them cut this late in the fall, but they couldn't wait until spring. Thanks for the idea for a Christmas present though, doggy coats for the boys.

the gang
October 29th, 2006, 08:34 PM
yup my little f. min pin gets cold, check out ruffncozy@sympatico.ca its bev the coats are to die for, good luck brenda

joeysmama
October 29th, 2006, 08:53 PM
Awwww, poor little guy. Joey used to hate when he got cut short and I finally wised up and bought him a cozy sweater. I would put it on him as soon as we got home from the groomer's and keep it on him most of the time until his coat grew a bit. He was such a clothes horse and really loved his sweaters and vests.

(Cooper doesn't blink an eye if his coat is short, he's remarkably happy almost all of the time.:crazy: )

But I would still take a trip to the vet just to be sure, especially since he laid down on the step. It sounds as though he might not be feeling well.

Byrd
October 29th, 2006, 08:59 PM
Oh yeah, he's definitely going if he's still under the weather in the morning.

Prin
October 30th, 2006, 12:28 AM
Which one is it? There's a "thing", a genetic disorder of sorts, called "white dog shaker syndrome" in white dogs (obviously). It just causes them to shake for no reason. My dad's dog has it- and he has a couple of brown spots, so I'm not sure if the shih with the black fur can get it too...:shrug: As far as I know, it doesn't do anything but cause shaking.:shrug:

Toonces
October 30th, 2006, 03:12 AM
Friends of mine have a Westie he is 18 yrs old and still going strong, he has had the shakes for about the last 4 yrs now, no health problems he is just a shakey old boy

Hunter's_owner
October 30th, 2006, 06:53 AM
I have a beagle that shivers as well when she is cold. It may not even seem that cold out, but if she thinks it is cold, and it is early in the morning (she likes to sleep late :rolleyes: ), then she will come in shivering.

But yeah, a trip to the vet wouldn't hurt, considering his age and the fact that he didn't do it before.

Byrd
October 30th, 2006, 06:42 PM
Rocky is the one on top, the one with the mask. Pepsi is the (almost) pure white, he is Shih/Lhasa.

Mom didn't call, so I'm sure that he's fine.