Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Greiving pets

frawlsco2
October 29th, 2006, 02:32 PM
Hi, I was wondering if anyone has any ideas. I posted the details to the loss of my female sheltie. However, while she is at peace after days of suffering my other two her boyfriend/ hubby (5 yr old sheltie) and her puppy (1.5 year old female) as well as my cat are very depressed. They dont want to eat and look very sad. Sleeping and exhaling deeply. The baby is chewing blankets (like she is nursing). Is there anything I can do to help them. I am upset too and I dont know if they are depressed about losing her or if my depression is making it worst. Do animals really grieve and for how long? Do you think they need professional help?:confused: :confused:

Frenchy
October 29th, 2006, 02:46 PM
I know when Daisy past away,Bailey didn't always eat. I think it's a mixure of both,they do miss the animal that passed away and I know Bailey is extremely sensitive, he felt my dispear. It will get back into place,just give it time (and give them lots of affection,it will help you too) :grouphug:

cpietra16
October 29th, 2006, 03:19 PM
When Goliath passed away his brother Samson stopped eating and hid away for days. When I got to him to the vets he thought he didn't seem to have the will to live and his test showed he suffered from a heart complication...He was fine until the day his brother passed.

OntarioGreys
October 29th, 2006, 04:15 PM
Animals do grieve and wild animals also will grieve as videotaped by wildlife photographers, best thing to do is give them extra attention and extra exercise and allow them time to heal some take longer than others. I know it is hard to watch them suffer as well. My one greyhound Sunny took Callie's death very hard, he also had to assume her place as the alpha dog in the household it was about 5 months before he was sort of back to himself, he started of moping not want to eat later became very grumpy not wanting the other animals near him, for dogs it is not only a loss but and upset in pack order they have to cope with and try to find out where they fit into the pack again, so when it an alpha that passes away it really mucks things up